LG G1 - odd behavior with proprietary driver in ubuntu 20.04

Hi
I’m new here

So I have ubuntu 20.04 installed on my computer using the proprietary Nvidia driver for linux.

I’m having a couple of issues -

I’m using an LG G1 OLED TV as my main display, connected using a Displayport to HDMI cable.

1st issue.

In 1080p resolution the image does not fit inside the display so I have to move my mouse outside the boundaries of the display to be able to click in anything.

2nd issue.

4K resolution is not an option available in the nvidia-settings program, I don’t see an option to create a custom resolution.

3rd issue.

4K resolution is not an option in Windows 10 either.

any chance these issues can be fixed?

A lot of those adapters are limited to 1080p. This is what you need.

1 Like

In the picture options on the TV you can change the aspect ratio to original (I think) and this will remove the over scan.

The rest of your issues sound like cable problems, likely the adapter.

You likely got a passive adapter. Get a Club3D active adapter with HDR. That will get around the issues.

This seems like it might do higher FPS for the C1 and G1 if you have Displayport DSC support on your GPU: Club 3D | DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 4K120Hz HDR Active Adapter M/F

Your other issue at 1080p is almost certainly that your overscan setting is incorrect. You must change the setting in the TV so you can see the edges of your screen properly.

for the g1 you gotta get the fanciest club3d adapter that does 120hz for hdmi.

@op why not use the hdmi out on the gpu? what gpu is it? 10 series can’t do 120/4k/etc but 20 and 30 series can.

*only 30 Series can do 4K 120hz on HDMI.

*Club3D adapter requires at least Turing or Navi Gen 1 to work with DSC 1.2, so don’t go out buying that adapter unless you’re on at least Turing or the 5000 Navi GPUs.

So there is only 1 Club3D distributor for Australia, and their website no longer exists!

Damnit!

Is there anywhere else I can buy that DP-to-HDMI active 4k/120hz cable?

or alternatively, where I can get a known good quality HDMI cable and I’ll try that?

Only 4K60
https://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=VL-DPHM2
Or HDMI
2M

5M

Anything over 5M and you’ll need an optical cable.

Is there any way to make my graphics card output through the HDMI port first instead of Displayport?

Annoyingly I can’t see the POST screen unless I use one of the Displayport ports on the card - the Displayport to HDMI cable I was using before confirmed this.

is there any way around this?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.