LG CX OLED Display: How Is It For Productivity? | Level One Techs

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0829RYP8V/?tag=level1techs-20

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/lg-cx-oled-display-how-it-productivity
2 Likes

Something I’d be interested to know about, with regard to using this TV as a monitor, is what the options are for converting DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1. The only item I’ve been able to find is the adapter from Club 3D. It would seem this is the best (as in only) route for those of us running anything but the newest gen GPUs, for getting 4k 120hz with 10-bit 444 color — and perhaps a way around some of the glitches mentioned in the video?

right now this is very much a “lol no” territory, sorry. I’ve got the club3d adapters, they’re good, but only hdmi 2.0/b.

1 Like

Lol ok! So do you think this adapter would be unsuitable for 4k/60/10bit/444? 60p is really all I need for my use case of a video editing reference monitor. A little bit of lag wouldn’t be a huge problem there either…

Edit: link fixed

ill order one and try it, the one I have already was less fat than this one? but I dont see it on their site. perhaps they are hiding the sins of the other one

1 Like

no vrr support, for sure, which is a pity.

1 Like

I actually have my 55inch 4k 10bit hdr q70r as my monitor. It is almost too much monitor for me. I love it. It isn’t an inexpensive tv. But if I need 120hz i switch it to 2k and otherwise I keep it on 4k. Hell, even with game mode it has freesync extended. So amds vrr is on the checkmark list. If you want two super wide angle monitors stacked then go for it.

A word of warning, it can (some people have said) give you a headache if you are not seated/standing far enough away.

I’m curious how that Club-3D DP 1.4-UHD 120 Hz adapter is going to perform with a Renoir APU, have read many bad things about it (used with dGPUs).

I’m still hoping there’s going to be a revised version of that one.

Im curious about the renaming the device PC. The manafest hate for HDMI 2.1cables :frowning: Just wires.

I thought monster cables was over ! Man ?

I was set to buy this display and I trust you. So now i’m leaning to the ASUS predator 43" display. The 144HZ nvidia one that is really AMD freesync. Displayport 1.4 compression ?

Still $2.5k australian. I know the LCD will last 10 years. OLED is still unknown. Id be happy with a black background.

Linux Gnome should have a decent extension that does not brick your Install to command console fix’s. AKA OLED dimmer :(… OMG terrible software.

Dont leave this review stand as is. After comments WTF is happening ? Monster cable problems. Standard problems or driver problems. Console users are not whining ? 4.2.0 my ass

I mean oled displays are Inna class by themselves. The display really is incredible. But the rough edges really are rough.

It is much more pc display like setting the input to “pc” and the color profile to “warm2”:… much less likely to get eye strain this way. I also turned the oled brightness down from 60 to 50 and it matches my other displays close enough in a multimotor config.

The dimming is annoying but can be disabled. It’ll be 6-12 months before I know if burn in is a thing

2 Likes

Oled would be a nice experience for media consumption imo.

1 Like

Another X factor for me is LG’s Ultrafine OLED Pro which was announced at CES but doesn’t yet have a product page or press release, let alone pricing or launch window… whether it’s dropping next month or next fall makes a big difference. Also whether it’ll be $2k or $5k. I fully expect it to be more expensive than the CX, but it will be nice to have the option of oled with actual computer monitor specs.

So I thought I would share some of my experiences with this TV. I got mine literally 1-2 days before @wendell had posted the video. I was using an LG 43UD79-B, and I really wanted something that was a higher refresh rate. Ideally I wanted IPS, 120Hz refresh, 4k and 4 inputs (Linux workstation, Widows VM, Macbook Pro (for work) and Nvidia Shield). I was looking at the LG CX 48 and the ROG Swift PG43UQ. I had ordered the PG43UQ, and literally no one in Canada had it in stock. I had to order it via back order and waited 10 weeks and after 10 weeks I was told by memory express “We have no Idea when Asus will send it they haven’t given us any update on it”. I had picked the PG43UQ because display port, and Wendell had given a good review of the previous version. Not sure why but I have never had stellar experiences with HDMI with Nvidia on linux, so DP would be ideal. Ok so after cancelling my order getting my money back I ordered the LG CX. I was like well HDMI not ideal but people are saying really good things about this TV, and are using it as a monitor. I had seen people note issues with HDMI cables, so I had ordered one off amazon, ugreen 8K Ultra cable in anticipation.

Installed the new Ergotron HX monitor arm (love the monitor arm). I had to order the adapter kit to fix the 300x200 vesa mount needed for the TV. Got it all setup and got ready to connected to my Linux workstation and fired it up. (So excited). Wow, everything looks awesome so far.

Now the week of frustration and pain. First thing I did was make sure it was in pc mode, deep color turned on. Get into gnome desktop (running Siduction [Debian Unstable] with an RTX3080 on nvidia 450 drivers). Gnome says the display is running only at 60 hz and no option to change it to 120Hz. Ok open up nvidia-settings, go to display setup sweet i can set it to 120Hz, backup xorg.conf and overwrite the xorg.conf config. Now when I boot its always 120Hz, and gnome now shows 120hz for refresh rates. Yeah, screen looks flipping great. Text looks good, really happy with it. Test out screen blanking, screen blanks and then TV goes into no signal. Kind of stupid that in no signal there is floating text bouncing around saying no signal. No big deal. Turn of the no signal image and live with the text. I move the mouse screen kicks back in and in gnome. Awesome super happy thus far.

Next day, try to use the computer and uh oh, it wont stop saying no signal. Ok, weird, fire up work computer ssh into my box, reboot and … same thing. Alright, I do a hard reboot, and boom stuff on the screen, and log into linux. Switch back to working, done working switch back to the linux input and fuck, no signal again. Spend the next 3-4 days trying to figure out why when the tv goes into standby, after it gets bored of showing no signal and actually turns the screen off. Turning it back on I get no signal. This doesn’t happen with my Macbook pro, it kicks back on fine after coming out of standby. (Also another reason to hate HDMI, there isn’t a good HDMI adapter for 4k60. my god 4k30 sucks).

A bunch of people are online are suggesting getting a new HDMI cable fixed similar issues for them. In those posts/threads people are saying they fixed it with a new HDMI cable but no mention of brand or link to the damn cable. Well I see the level1 video and Wendell is saying that there are a tonne of knockoffs on Amazon, do some research buy an expensive Belkin that’s certified. Same damn issue, more searching I see someone reported success with a Zeskit 8k cable. I ordered it just in case, should get it today. I updated the firmware and I feel like yellow text has a visible red/green pixel outline after updating, it wasn’t an issue before. I also updated to Nvidia Driver 460.32.03 (hit the unstable repos). Still same problem.

I call LG and tell them my issue and avoid saying I am using linux to avoid them just outright dismissing me. Before I did I found that if I turn off the LG Deep Colour setting on the HDMI port fixes the no signal issue but I am stuck at 4K 60Hz and not full RGB colour. FUUUUUCK ME!!

People are saying there are GSync stuttering issues and the LG rep is saying the same thing that Gsync with the RTX 3000’s is broken but I have disabled GSync via nvidia settings as per her direction. I am so mad I ordered the Club3d DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adaptor, because fuck HDMI at this point. Tried so many setting made sure AMD free sync is disabled, the picture mode is PC, deep colour on, turned off quick start+ … ripping my hair out, and then that’s when I found it, its the instant game response, for some reason that setting still wants to use Gsync and the LG CX and the RTX 3080 don’t want to play nice. I can’t tell you why it works on hard resets, but the moment the TV goes off, or there is a really long period of inactivity the system gets stuck at No Signal. Turned that off no issues with any cable so far.

Ok I know I have been super harsh thus far, that said, watching movies and playing games on this is amazing. The dimming thing is a bit annoying but doesn’t bother me too much. The colors look great (I haven’t calibrated), just my unprofessional eye test. The only knock I have is just since that firmware update, yellow text on white is blurry because of the red and green pixel outline.

I am going to probably keep it and and happy (happy now) with what I have. That said, if you want GSync with a RTX3000 series card, its not going to work its broke as fuck. Turn off the instant game response on the TV. The other knock, my god for a device that’s 2K CAD, please put display port or DP over USB-C.

If you want a 120Hz 4K screen in the 40" range, with good gaming and video gaming experience its great. For productivity, that depends, I am not annoyed by the auto dimming with static images, but I can see why someone would be.

I’ll test out the adaptor and see how well it works with my macbook and report back.

-edit- spoke too soon, gnome turning the screen off basically puts me in no signal … If I set the screen to never turn off it seems to be fine

2 Likes

Thank you for this summary, it’s very useful to know these details, as I’d definitely also be miffed about not getting g-sync and 120hz both working (esp for windows).

I have been contemplating (currently driving alienware 120hz 3440 34" IPS) and it seems like I should perhaps possibly hold off on OLED for 4k 120 for now.

Uff, i own the 48cx and everythings works fine, i bought this 10m active Cable and it works like charm :smiley:
Club 3D HDMI™ Aktives Optisches Kabel 4K120Hz 8K60Hz: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör

the latest firmware fixed the not so perfekt blacks in HDR mode, now the Blacks are as good as i would expect from an Oled. The gsync works fine just use a good HDMI 2.1 cable! I have testet all the “cheapo” ones from AMAZON only the Club3D one works out of the Box.
I do alot of HomeOffice on it. You have all the bells an whistles, you can watch two sites in full lengh in paralell or have one site and one office document in very good readable size.

i sit about 80 cm from Panel to Nose afar from it and its awsome.

i would not play CSGO in Liga Mode. But just for Fun its awsome :smiley:

Add images

avoid these cables i bought and send back

Angaben zur BestellungBestellt am 21. November 2020 (1 Artikel)

ConnBull 8K 4K HDMI 120Hz Kabel 10m, Ultra HD HDMI zu HDMI Glasfaser Kabel UnterstĂĽtzung 7680 x 4320, 8K@60Hz, 48 Gbit/s, HDR, HDCP fĂĽr Monitor, TV,

ConnBull

Nochmals kaufen

Angaben zur BestellungBestellt am 20. November 2020 (1 Artikel)

AKKKGOO 8K Glasfaser-HDMI-Kabel 10M, UnterstĂĽtzung 8K@60 Hz, 4K@120 Hz, 48Gbit/s, dynamisches HDR, 3D, eARC, Dolby Vision, HDCP2.2, 4: 4: 4, kompatib

AKKKGOO

Nochmals kaufen

Angaben zur BestellungBestellt am 13. November 2020 (1 Artikel)

CableDeconn 8K Optic HDMI Kabel Real UHD HDR 8K 48Gbit/s 8K@60Hz 4K@120Hz HDMI-Glasfaserkabel 3D-UnterstĂĽtzung HDCP2.2 fĂĽr HDMI PS4 SetTop Box HDTV-

I am going try the club 3d HDMI cables.

Do you get crazy stuttering with G-Sync at certain framerates and what GPU are you using @Domrockt ??

Also you bought the 10m long fiber optic version?

I have the EVGA EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 XC3 Ultra Gaming, 24G-P5-3975-KR, 24GB GDDR6X, iCX3 Cooling, ARGB LED, Metal Backplate
it has the best feature of all 3090’s its just 2.3 slots wide and blocks just one Pcie Slot :smiley:

actually i had bad stuttering with one of the “not” working HDMI fiber cables it enabled Gsync with only 4k/60hz 8bit colors but stutters badly. The other “not” working Cables did not enable gsync at all with 4k/60hz 8bit. some did HDR some dont.

since i use the 10m or 32,8084 ft freedom measures Club 3d hdmi Active Optic Cable i have no gsync related stuttering what so ever. :smiley: it works just fine 4k120hz/10bit/HDR with Gsync.
my gaming server is one room further away so i need a long cable.

i tested “certain fps’s” with Cyberpunk for the lower end and Doom Eternal for the higher end of the fps spectrum and it does what it should do avoid tearing and lets feel cyberpunk 4k/rtx spycho/no dlss/hdr technical smooth and cyberpunk 4k/rtx spycho/ dlss quality/hdr realy smooth.

if that helps.

Well I don’t need 10 m, that why its a fiber optic cable. I got the copper version, lets see how that plays out. I have the screen working right now with linux so far, with the exception of when gnome blanks the screen, the TV stays at no signal.

OK how long should it be? All of your Problems are indeed cable related. The Cooper 2.1 Versions are quite reliable in the 1-3m range, above are hit or miss.

I had a few Long HDMI 2.0b cables for Testing with my 3090 but none of them worked near probably.
I had Signal flashes, Pixel flashes , lost Connections etc.

All of them Work just fine with my wifes MacOS VM AMD R9 290x .

So the HDMI 2.1 in the rtx Cards does some new behavour, too.

All the cables are 2M, 6 feet. The connection would drop under very specific scenarios. I think the problem I am having is with Nvidia drivers supporting hot plugging in linux.