Levono Love?

im leaning in this direction, just due to mistrust
i mean, why would REDUCING power draw, make the psu act up ?

I wouldn't put your money on that. Im writing this from my 4 year old Lenovo laptop. Works like a charm even after swapping the drive from 5400 to 7200RPM. I would bet on a faulty PSU. Should still be able to swap the PSU.

There seems to be no way a such a minimal PSU is monitoring, or relayed off by sata power. You would think, you can boot of USB on most motherboards, there is no need for SATA at all. The motherboard relays the PSU on.
This is seems likely a software issue, or maybe evil bios.

the thing about putting SSD's in a desktop is that if you suddenly lose power your SSD could become corrupt and cause the drive to brick it self. also I'm using a ye olde mechanical 5200rpml drive right now with linux mint it's a little slow but not horrible. the key thing is having enough ram and that desktop has 6gb which is plenty.

as for the dvd drive problem going into the bios and disableing the sata port should fix it. also if your lucky there may be a reset jumper on the mobo you can use to make it forget t ever had a dvd player. if all else fails removeing the cmos battery could also work.

ok, but again,
its been two weeks working fine with both drives.

i remove the hdd, and go ssd + dvd player. and that same day i get power cut issues.

why would removing 20 watts power draw, piss off the psu ?

even IF it was faulty.

bro... what are you going on about ???

that mobo has 2x sata ports.
ive got three devices to choose from now.
so all this point only two of them have been attached at any given time
ideally at the end of this it should be ssd+dvd
but sofar we have just let it ride in the only configuration that has been tested and proven to work.
ssd+hdd

ive done a complete CLONE from hdd to ssd
on TWO seperate samsung ssds now.
with the same result.

ie, whenever hdd is missing. pc dies randomly

on that first sidenote,
dont 850 pros have a small capacitor on board that lets it buffer flush the cache ?
besides, rapid mode isnt enabled on his system, and i dont believe windows caching / buffer is on ether, the ssd should be fine

has he tried a fresh install of Windows? Or a fresh install of Linux? It could be that the Machine is checking the Windows key against the hardware profile. AKA the kinda crap Microshaft is doing now with Windows 10. Maybe, the lack of the hard drive throws a switch in the BIOS that is anti-theft or something. Flash the BIOS? Flash the BIOS with a custom BIOS. I did that with my Lenovo Laptop in order to unlock the BIOS and all the possible features and upgrade support. Like the ability to use other processors, or the ability to add an Intel Wireless AC chip. Things like that. Perhaps the BIOS is locked down like that with something akin to Secure Boot.

seems a bit extreme ?
and one would think that would say something other than
"unexpected power loss" in the windows logs

and if it was some anti theft crap, why would it let the system turn back on again after?

someone stole this unit, so ill just turn it on and off every 15 minutes ??
ehhh sounds fishy

and this pc is this guys main computer for all his work related shit,
hes not going to fresh install windows.
especially if the unit will operate just fine with both drives in it
and he can live minus a dvd

if this were MY pc, id be completely behind screwing with it and playing till we could dig up a lawsuit over it

Power failure for SSD is potentially much more dangerous than it is for conventional hard drives. Because SSDs use complex flash translation layers (FTLs) to manage the mapping between logical block addresses and physical flash memory locations, if power failure corrupts the metadata about this mapping, the entire SSD can become inoperable. -- eetimes

I know the higher end intel SSDs have a built-in protrction against this but I haven't seen any thing about the samsung 850 pro.

sorry I miss read what you posted anyway the solution I posted before is still relevant I've worked with old dells that had similar problems. the evil bios feature causing this is most likely intels "Trusted Platform Moduel" it stores a log of what devices are using your sata ports. If it can't find original boot device it started with it's set to ether not boot or gives an error. the only way to fix it is to erase the log. ether by using an unlocked bios or clearing your cmos memory.

1 Like

Well after years over years using and working with lenovo (thinpads, thinkstations, thinkservers) I, despite all the recent scandals involving them, would not say that they intentionally bocked you from using anything but their original drive.
There are those horrible bios whitelists for addincards like WLan and WWan which drive me nuts usually. But never ever had trouble switching out a harddrive/ssd what so ever.

I would realy bet that the PSU thinks its idle and turns off after 15 minutes. It would be totally interesting how much power the system draws (from the PSU). If it always was very little the 18W missing now could really be the culprit.

I would try and add some other powerhungry stuff onto the PSU specially the +5V rail and see if that makes it last again

Heading to work in just a few, but quick question, is the bios locked?

there older laptops are awsome, desktops less so, but over all lenovo isn't completely terrible

I'm free to change boot order and stuff
So I think bios is open