Level1Techs KVMs beyond DP 1.4?

Picked up two of the new Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 57" displays. They’re 7680x2160 at 240 Hz. I have not set them up yet as I’m waiting for my new desk to be delivered.

Up until now I have been using the 2 Monitor 4 computer L1T KVM with my current setup, but these new monitors need DP 2.1 or HDMI 2.1 to be fully utilized. Right now I can run DP 2.1 out of the Red Devil 7900 XTX on my PC and convert Thunderbolt to HDMI 2.1 on my M2 Mac Studio, but now I need a KVM that can handle these. To be clear, this is not for gaming, it’s for animation and visualization design (think the visuals you see on the screens at concerts) so the high refresh rate really is going to help me.

The Samsungs have a built in KVM but that’s only per monitor, I’d like to switch both monitors at once, plus their support for USB devices beyond kb+m is just not there.

Does Level1Techs have any plans to expand the KVM line beyond DP 1.4? Does anyone know of any KVMs that can handle the newer versions of these protocols?

You’ve entered into uncharted waters. It will take some time for others to follow you and develop the products you are looking for.

1 Like

Okay, that’s fair. Then I guess I would love to hear if anyone has any advice as to the best way to handle my situation in the absence of a KVM. The plan is to wall-mount the monitors one over the other and have my desk pushed up against the wall.

I will need to switch sources between Windows, Mac and client laptops multiple times per day.

How would this be best accomplished?

I’ve already been doing experiments with NXP chipsets at DP 2.0 speeds… its not really going great. DSC with this display should work on DP1.4 though.

Wendell

1 Like

How many years do you think it will take quality DP 2.0 chipsets to come to market.

maybe early next year. some early silicon is promising from my testing.

2 Likes

A DP 2.1 KVM would be an instant upgrade for me! I have your DP1.4 KVM and its a beaut. My 7900 XTX is already at DP 2.1 and I will be looking for a 2160p ultrawide HRR OLED whenever that becomes a thing. Hopefully in 2024.