Level1Tech USB-C KVM - No display signal

Hello there!

I’m having trouble getting display output using the USB-C KVM.

This is my setup:

MacBook Pro M2 Max → Cable Matters Thunderbolt 4 2.6ftUSB-C KVMFibbr DP2.1 3.3ft → Gigabyte M32U

Any ideas what might have went wrong?

Try U2 mode on the kvm? Tried dropping down to 4k/90? Obviously full dp bandwidth isn’t going to work in dp alt mode+USB on one wire, but 4k/90 should be doable.

I gave that a try and I was only able to get intermittent connection and it wouldn’t hold for more than a few seconds.

Could it be the signal loss through the kvm? :thinking:

yeah, the kvm tries very hard to keep freesync/gsync enabled so it doesn’t use normal digital retiming/redriving the way you’d expect.

when you switch u2 mode you must unplug the kvm for a bit, then plug it back in so it picks up the new mode. If you can’t even do 4k/60 your cables must be terrible? That has quite a wide signal margin. I’d say 4k/90 on the m32u is a reasonable expectation; that’s what we test with here using 3 foot copper DP cable and 3 foot usbc usbc cables.

generally the gigabyte m32u is one of the best 4k/120/144 monitors out there, and one of the best snr. way better/more reliable than samsung and lg.

I’m suspecting that it might be the Fibbr 3ft cables.
I’ve only found out today that they are not fiber optic but copper cores.

I have 2 club3d DPcables arriving tomorrow and I’ll share my results :+1:

@wendell I’ve just received the 3d club DP cables.

I’ve tried using it and I still couldn’t get usable display output.

At this stage I have:

• Tried a variety of usb-c cables and DP cables
  • Ensured total cable length is short for testing
  • Tried updating m32u firmware
  • Tried using m2 max as display input
  • Tried using usb-c combiner with windows pc as display input
  • Tried U2 mode on kvm

What works:

• Direct usb-c to m32u for m2 max
  • Direct usb-c to m32u with usb-c combiner
  • Direct display port to m32u
  • Usb switching through kvm

I’m decently confident that my cables and setup are functioning.

Could it be that my kvm display input / output might be faulty?

I’m happy to test around more :grimacing:

Are you doing 4K/60?

Also, what power supply do you have? You can just list the voltage and wattage on the brick

At this stage I’m trying to get any display signal.

I’m getting no signal most of the time.

Power brick is rated for 120w (Came together with the purchase)

^ ? If so drop it to 1440p just to see if the KVM comes on.

No signal at all is pretty strange. When you plug it in does it beep and one of the front red lights come on?

@Level1_Amber ah I was in 4k 144hz… :man_facepalming:

I have display now but I see degraded signal output. Gonna try different cables

What do you mean?

Also, what mode do you have the back switch set to? It should be on the 120w setting since you have a 120w power supply. If it’s set to 70a or 70b there’s a possibility there’s not enough amperage.

4k60 has fuzzy display output. Plenty of noise.

How do I check the power setting?

I don’t see a switch. Just the u2/u3 one

Oh ok that’s probably normal then. I was referring to older USB-C models that have a switch for amperage:

is that in u2 mode as well? remember if you change to u2 mode from u3 mode you must unplug usb and power so the kvm sees the change.

you can email me wendell @ leveltechs to mail it in for further testing if you want, or setup a refund. We literally do test with the m32u and 4k/90 should be doable. 4k/144 is never going to work on a combined cable; only the native DP kvms can do that. The combo kvms have one monitor that is native DP and one that’s usb alt mode, so the native DP on that one can do 4k/144 but not the combined one.

Yep that is in u2 mode unfortunately.

I’ll send an email!