Level1Tech KVM switch question

Hi all, debating on buying a L1T KVM switch and could use some input. I currently have 1 solid LG 4k 27-in monitor and 1 decent-ish 2k monitor and am using it as my work/gaming set up. I am thinking about changing things around to one of the new OLED’s and getting 2 or 3 4k Dell Dell S2721QS and setting up a dedicate workstation area in my office.

I’d need the switch to be able to handle using both my main PC (13900k, 4090), work laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad w/docking station) and eventually a NAS system I’m building if I ever get time to finish the dang thing. My workload isn’t crazy, usually just dozen’s/up to a hundred PDF’s/spreadsheets, word docs, firefox/chrome browsers, etc.

Is there anything I should know/be aware of before pulling the trigger? Thanks!

1 Like

Get good DP cables, if money is no object go all Fibbr(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TNYSSM5/) skip the shortest one if you do go that route. Otherwise Club3d cables are a good option, wendell also offers good cables in his store.

Other then that there is a FAQ on the forum

2 Likes

Definitely get good cables.

Club3D
If you go the Club3D route, make sure you get the shortest cables possible for your setup. The signal quality will degrade the longer your cables are. Also, to note, the KVM sees everything as 1 long cable. For instance, if you have 4x 3ft cables, the signal quality will be as if it was 1 long 12ft cable. Poor cable quality and length can cause high resolutions/refresh rate display issues.

We’ve also had people get fake Club3D cables on Amazon!! Return them if they are weird!

FIBBR
If you go FIBBR though, the signal never degrades because they are fiberoptic. If you experience trouble with the Club3D cables, I would recommend returning them, then trying FIBBR.

Links to purchase these cables are in the FAQ article.

Firmware
Sometimes monitors are just weird with their firmware. If you receive the KVM and are having trouble, try to manually upgrade your monitors firmware. Some new/fancy monitors will upgrade from a USB drive.

Example:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.