Level1 News May 23 2017: Forget Facebook, All The Cool Kids Use Peach | Level One Techs

https://www.one-tab.com/page/g_p5falIT8yJ_DXOF2c9mw

0:26 - Net neutrality going down in flames as FCC votes to kill Title II rules
1:52 - Group linked to NSA spy leaks threatens sale of new tech secrets
3:13 - Apple Is Lobbying Against Your Right to Repair iPhones, New York State Records Confirm
4:47 - Feds use anti-terror tool to hunt the undocumented
7:35 - Stealing Windows credentials using Google Chrome
9:40 - Delta kiosk checks your face before you check your bag
11:29 - Uber Starts Charging What It Thinks You're Willing to Pay
13:16 - Theresa May to create new internet that would be controlled and regulated by government
16:21 - BlackBerry working with automakers on anti-hack tool
19:50 - Facebook and Twitter 'harm young people's mental health'
22:07 - AMD Naples Zen Platform Makes "EPYC" Debut For Data Center Market
25:51 - AMD's RX Vega Won't Launch Until Later This Year
28:04 - Some Radeon RX Vega graphics cards will be faster than the Frontier Edition
29:54 - Microsoft blocking Linux on Windows 10 S
31:00 - "MP3 is dead"; missed the real, much better story
32:00 - Americans no longer have to register non-commercial drones with the FAA
32:27 - Lowe's prototype exoskeletons give warehouse workers a boost
34:33 - Netflix confirms it is blocking rooted/unlocked devices, app itself is still working (for now)
35:33 - Robots could wipe out another 6 million retail jobs
37:13 - Researchers design moisture-responsive workout suit
39:41 - Star Trek: Discovery Video - First Look Trailer

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/level1-news-may-23-2017-forget-facebook-all-cool-kids-use-peach
2 Likes

I think you guys are kind of missing the point on the Windows 10 S story. It's clearly being locked down to be more attractive to schools and whatnot. By not including tools like Powershell, or the Linux subsystem, it makes it more difficult for students to change settings and do things that they aren't supposed to do.
Now with the Surface Laptop, I think it should just come with regular Windows 10, and an option for Windows 10 S to be selected if desired. But at least you can upgrade it to full Windows 10.

Edible microbial exercise clothing.

Japanese vending machines anyone?

In regards to Theresa May's policy her party is supported mostly by older voters who either don’t understand the internet or don’t care. She also has connections with big businesses and media outlets so this might be a way of pleasing them to get more campaign money and media support which has been mainly for her party.

3 Likes

I wonder what it would taste like?

microbial clothing is weird, but who knows? maybe it will bring us one step closer to bio-armor.

@16:21
I am actually working for 'BlackBerry' on their operating system for the cars. It's not actually BlackBerry making this system though. BlackBerry acquired the company QNX a while ago. QNX actually has nothing to do with the phones. We have always been about cars. We design real-time focused operating systems for ARM x86 etc.

2 Likes

Japanese vending machines dispensing microbe-enhanced, metallic-smelling striped panties.

Let the Bernays flow through you...

This whole idea that we can't do anything about jobs being taken by robots is rubbish. We need a new form of terrorism / protesting by the organizations that do this sort of thing. Just like there is Green Peace and such we need people to disable facilities that have robotics. It is so sad to watch humanity just let the 1% do whatever they want. This idea that a revolution is coming is a joke because in NA I think the majority of the population can't stomach something like that and unite. Also I don't want to hear that violence doesn't work. In some instances it just has to happen. Also right now I am not even talking about physical harm to people as I am talking about destroying robotics to save jobs.

About Theresa May you might not even have to worry about anything as she does as the Labour Party has gained 20 or so points in less than a month and in England they are tired of the establishment like in other countries and so it would be no surprise if Jeremy Corbyn is elected or at least makes things where there is not a majority government in England and the bad things Theresa May wants to get done won't be done.

In regards to microbial clothing I guess if global warming is a thing this could be helpful in the future in making clothing that will allow us to cool down easier.

As for net neutrality I have no comment.

Finally with Facebook I am glad less people are using it as it just means I will have a better chance of winning contests on there which I have already done on multiple occasions. : )

When I read the video title I thought there was some new software similar to Mastodon to replace Facebook, called Peach.
Did I miss that part of the video where they mention this "Peach"? All I remember was them talking about some teenagers who said that Facebook is "not cool anymore".

We can fight back against robotics. Stop using kiosks to order food at fast food restaurants. Stop using the self check-out at grocery stores. Ask or press the button to speak to a real person when on a help line. Always choose to use a person to help you in life. Stop investing in stocks that replace people with robotics....Amazon, anyone? The thing is that society has been trained to look for and buy the cheapest, and IMO that is causing the growth in robotics.
Of course I don't want to work in a production facility, it's boring as fuck after the first two weeks. Maybe I'm the cause of robots taking over in production?

People tried that when the spinning jenny was invented. History has shown us that it does not work. I would argue our energy is better spent trying to have the transition to robotic labor actually benefit everyone by political policy. The 1% is just 1% of the vote. Political action can be (and has historically been) very effective. Early industrial era England was terrible for workers. 14 hour workdays, 6 days a week for everyone older then 11 and you could just about survive on your salary, but political action, strikes, protest etc changed that to what we know today. We can avoid that becoming a reality again, but action needs to start now. The robots are coming, and no matter how many you take a crowbar to, they are eventually taking over. Done right, everybody on earth can benefit

About the automatic luggage check-in. There is enough info on some passports. The EU is already using automatic passport control stations for EU citizens. Scan your passport, and look into the camera to be let over the border, usually in less then 5 seconds. The Schengen area have required e-passport since 2006. They contain fingerprint data and a digital picture of your face on a chip. I think Iris scans are in the standard, but are not EU wide today

Biometric Passports

Why don´t we call the Ryzen-based AMD thing "Epüc" instead, because that is how I seem to pronounce it. Then AMD would only need Mötley Crüe to make a theme song for it and call it done.

@Kebba you have a defeatist attitude. If large numbers of people stand up to something it is possible to stop it. The idea that what is now excessive robotic labor is automatically going to happen is just not the way people should be thinking and it is sad the majority think like you. Much of what is being done is to pad pockets of big corporations and not to benefit society so while robotics has some positives to it please understand what I am complaining about.

Yup. I was having an debate about back-doors with an 'older voter' recently. I explained my reasoning and gave real world examples of why back-doors are a bad and how police forces have generally had more luck using traditional detective work. I asked for an explanation of how back-doors would help catch terrorists;

"I don't know how it works but we can't let the terrorists win."

This was before the NHS got wrecked so I'm really looking forward to resuming that conversation.

That aside I really am deeply concerned by the Conservatives asinine view of the web, it can only be ascribed to stupidity or malice and I'm pretty sure it's the latter in this case. What politician wouldn't want that power?

It would match the narrative of late but still seems highly unlikely, the poll surge was essentially because social care proposals in the conservative manifesto were very badly received (they have amended proposals since). Corbyn's best chance is to stubbornly stick around for another five years and hope the elderly die off, he polls much better with younger voters (<45). Personally I'd like to see the back of him as much as May.

Regards Facebook
I'm not 'hip with the kids' these days but of the young people I do know many seem to think Facebook is old hat. They prefer snapshat. Whether this has anything to do with privacy or is simply a new generation rejecting the ways of the old I have no idea.

Saw something of interest in regards to this story, it seems the conservative party paid google to have a propaganda piece come up as the first add result for people searching for news stories about their social care proposal.

I agree entirely. The real problem is that politicians and business leaders (on the whole) have no idea how to transition to a new economic model to facilitate the benefit of everyone. We need capitalism 2.0 or some new idea, but too many leaders seem to think we can keep doing things the same way we have the last 100 years. I'm pretty sure we'll get it wrong before we get it right. Scary.

Wow! I've never heard of a political party doing that before, I guess there is nothing to stop them. If you happen to remember the source I would love to take a look. I don't think it really helped them though, for better or worse sometimes the public just says 'no'. Wish the public would do the same for back-doors.

1 Like

Thanks, I'm genuinely intrigued about this as I'm occasionally called on to do SEO type things at work. Wondering what Google's policy is towards allowing political parties to pay for this. I wouldn't mind betting they have no one to vet something like this - not that I'm suggesting it's illegal in any way. Yet another spin on 'fake news'.