Level1 News May 15 2018: EMP - Elon's Management Problems | Level One Techs

https://www.one-tab.com/page/-ptPK0MeT7WERoWyMY9VpA

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/level1-news-may-15-2018-emp-elons-management-problems
1 Like

To be honest i do not mind EU users blocked from services that do not want to Comply with the GDPR. If anything this creates a need to create alternatives for those services that are actually based on Europe which will be actually available to all, not only EU citizens. It is a good incentive to produce more things here than importing everything from elsewhere.

If anything i like the prospect that the non-privacy respecting applications to be balkanized and their market reduced while the ones that are respecting data privacy are open to everyone despite the geography.

1 Like

I gotta agree with Wendell’s small tirade about the neccissity of global access and his small point on balkanization. The internet can’t really work the way it’s supposed to if you do things like that. It’s kind of like the redundency of work being done in code on linux. Where a bunch of people create a bunch of programs to do the same task that aren’t interoperable and if instead had more people on the agreed protocols and use cases a lot more could be done.

Where in linux this is often a pro and con, where in sometimes it can create a variety of softwares for better use cases and user control of a system, in the internet this just sucks.

It’s not even really the internet proper at that point. You can go ahead and recreate the tools and services that were once already available to you and worked, but then you’re talking about just massive amounts of wasted work since there’s already a solution to this issue, and the only real problem is that (at least in this case) they’re not willing to change to a more friendly to the user regulation, or it was built in such a way that it can’t exist in a more transparent environment.

I like this idea, and hope this is the way it will go but who knows.

About the solar panels and Ryan’s quote…
Even though it’s a funny quote and actually quite true, I don’t think it applies here (or maybe I misunderstood him here).
The reason people didn’t buy solar panels on their own was not that they weren’t a good idea, but simply that they cost a shitload of money and people don’t seem to calculate in the long run for some reason.
I didn’t read the article, but I would imagine that California is also giving some substantial subsidies when they’re enforcing it by law. Maybe not, I’m just assuming :stuck_out_tongue:

Regarding the ‘hate facts’ article…

These supposed ‘statistics-based facts’ often lack a great amount of context and thus lend themselves to an overtly racial interpretation of a relationship. It is bad practice and potentially dangerous. Not all statistics are properly constructed and without knowledge of their context they will hardly constitute fact for any particular interpretation of them. Moreover, don’t forget: correlation doesn’t necessarily equal causation…

For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNo-A55rJ8s

1 Like

(societal collapse)

I want to comment on this because it’s a pet peeve.

There are Sociology studies on societal collapse. It’s happened a lot of times in written history. It’s not quite what the preppers say it is either. People do tend to leave the affected area because of loss of established complexity. The carrying capacity of the area is overwhelmed when the institutions that sustain the population falls. That’s where to begin prediction.

If there is a CME direct hit, it won’t be total loss. As a matter of fact we have more established complexity in that situation, than in normal situations in the late 1800s. Of course distribution would slow to a snail’s pace; but it wouldn’t necessarily be a collapse candidate. Another kind of cannibalism occurs when something like that happens. The number of indigent grows rapidly.

The best way to deal with such a situation isn’t to become a self-reliant survivalist. That is more likely to doom you. It’s better to be useful in establishing new complexity. This prevents oneself from becoming one of the ones left behind. Self reliance isn’t something that humans have in them naturally. This notion of pillaging barbarians surviving in packs in the wild is ridiculous. There is a very long history of humans in harsh times becoming more cooperative. This is because the fear coerces them to lean on each other. This even happens in economic collapse; which is much less severe than societal collapse.

There are probably contingencies for CMEs. Since shipping is done by GPS now, it means new satellites on the ready. It could take a year to get the grids back up again though. We would still have cars; but no well lit roads or highways. Emergency generators would become contingencies for a while. Companies would fold. There would be huge camps of people eager for work etc etc. It would be about like 1930, 1931. Not an apocalypse; but not good in any way shape or form.

Preppers prepare for something that is extremely unlikely. Human behavior would have to change fundamentally for the movie apocalypse scenario to occur.

2 Likes

Sir @wendell

I thought this news was important to share.

The 19 ports on the back allow the device to be customized with puff tubes and custom switches so people with disabilities can play games too.

I don´t see what is bad about the GDPR. It just restricts the amount of data companies collect for the simple reason they can.

On a second thought, all the global data-grabbers are US based, so americans disliking the GDPR only makes sense.

Electric car problems:
I wonder how long it will take for all car crashes to be ignored equally…

Americans dont like companies taking our data but we also dont like goverment butting into anything we do so why would we like europe trying to tell american companies what they can and cannot do? There isnt supposed to be a group of people our goverments our anyone for that matter controling the internet thats not what its about. Also not being rude just trying to give u a different view to consider.

Because a) they chose to do business here and b) they have subsidiary companies in the EU (not even to mention they get some pretty sweet tax deals by doing so).
For both these reasons they will have to comply with local law. Just like EU companies have to comply with US law if they choose to do business there (spoiler alert, US really doesn’t like when companies ignore laws).
It’s every companies own business whether they do business in other countries then their “home” country, regardless what it is. But if they do they will have to comply with local laws.

It’s not rocket science, it’s just common sense.

1 Like

About GDPR. Does this forum need to be GDPR compliant? Or any forum for that matter?

Yes, it would.
https://www.eugdpr.org/gdpr-faqs.html