Level1 News June 6th, 2017: The Byrds Flew Off With A Free Speech Shelter | Level One Techs

https://www.one-tab.com/page/XaElYQY3QG-LZuaJsDMN8Q

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/level1-news-june-6th-2017-byrds-flew-free-speech-shelter
2 Likes

it's a sparrow

2 Likes

The bird was the most pleasing thing about this week's news. It really offsets some of those grim news stories.

1 Like

@kreestuh don't make fun of @pgpryan because he is not nerdy enough to read a book in real englisch. :grimacing:
on a lighter note (attempt at pointer) try to get the news of the rails with a joke or two other than that, great show!

So Toyota wants to make a car that is able to fly using fans?

Why not just put the fans on top? Much more stable.

I loved all the moments that could/should have been jumps cuts and edits there were just run over and kept going. made it just a bit hilarious inbetween stories.

1 Like

About http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/30/technology/amazon-refund-app-store-kids-purchase/:
This is not just a PR thing, there were cases in Germany in the past where this stuff went to court because a kid is not legally allowed to buy stuff, and so they had to give it back. Not sure how this is in the US, but isn't there a certain age up until Kids aren't liable for buying stuff? Not sure how to say exactly what I mean :smiley:

About the Skype thing, and your Skype for Business issue. If it's such a pain, why are you using it? There are alternatives for communication stuff... Slack comes to mind, or if you want it selt-hosted rocket.chat.

That's fair, but how many people are licensed to fly helicopters on public roads?

This already happened with apple, same result.

Yes kids are not legally allowed do this, but it is not a kids account doing it, it is a legal paying consenting adult.

How it went with apple was you needed a password to authorise then payment, which should stop kids buying things out of control. Once you put the password in for one purchase the account was effectively unlocked for 30 minutes, it did not ask again for the password. So parent looks, seen 2 dollars and figures what the hell it will keep Timmy quiet for a few more minutes. They authorise then payment and hand the phone/tablet back to the kid, he them clicks on every last thing s and racks up a huge bill on 30 minutes. End of month rolls around and the parents are shocked, class action against apple, it won, apple changed the password rules to always ask after that and you could get some money back.

Second time round, on your own bub, we fixed it and warned you.

I want to say yes. If I understand what you're saying, there is a certain age (in most countries) where children are not able to enter into a contract. Think of it as a contractual age of consent.

As far as purchases go, it gets a bit more complex. IANAL, so grain of salt.

Most companies who offer online payment services have an EULA and that's more or less contractually binding and most of them also state that you must be this old to use the service. That's how it becomes "illegal" for children to make purchases. Physical stores are different. If a child goes down the street and spends $2.99 on a slushie, that's on them. They took the effort to go down there and buy the frozen deliciousness. There, physical money exchanged hands.

Whether it's "illegal" or not is about ease of access, in my head. Children don't always know the consequences of clicking a button and parent's can't always prevent them from buying on the device, but they can easily prevent them from making purchases at a physical store.

That Facebook case in Switzerland is incredibly stupid. The Anti-hate movement is getting out of hand. I should be allowed to hate anything I want. Just another reason not to use social media with your real identity on it.

I hate your comment.

/s

Agreed it's a problem, but it just stresses me out to think about.

1 Like

@kreestuh Don't worry, we hear and laugh at your jokes even when @pgpryan doesn't bat an eye.

I would hope that people would need to be properly licensed to drive a flying car too.

People struggle enough driving on roads here, if flying cars are just added to existing licenses I'll be upgrading my walls with a foot of concrete & staying inside :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good point. I'm definitely an advocate of more difficult driving tests. With one of my exes, it's a shock she made it out of the parking lot without failing.