Level1 news June 19 2018: A Chip Off The Old Windshield | Level One Techs

https://www.one-tab.com/page/cQSeBvLtQBiOOf7K8VYEig

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/level1-news-june-19-2018-chip-old-windshield

The name is clearly Shooty McShootface

1 Like

You speak of the old times… For best results video must be played at 1.5x speed or faster.

Did you guys “borrow” the thumbnail for this episode from ChrisFix?

1 Like

Concept of time is relative to age. Five years will sound like an eternity to a 5 year old, because it is equal to the years they have been alive. But five years from the point of view of a 30-40 year old person will feel much less significant because you have been alive six to eight times longer.

1 Like

Concerning the cashlessness in Sweden, it does seem a bit strange that banks would argue they don’t want to pass the cost of handling cash to the consumer. Was that actually in any statement?

At least for Western Europe, I can’t think of a single country that doesn’t have ample ATM’s available to withdraw money.

And add on top of that: this is Europe. Meaning: banks have to allow people with a card from a different bank to use their ATM to withdraw money. I’m not sure if it’s required by law, probably is, but I’ve never known that not to be the case here.

So yeah, kinda weird. Wireless paying and payment apps are certainly on the rise, but cash is still king here, by a long shot.

Yes. Oddly enough, that was an actual statement by bank lobbyists. They are arguing it costs money to handle cash. They are not even offering the chance of bank owners carrying that cost so that they may continue operating in Sweden - they are going stright to the customer’s jugular - the customer must pay, fuck you customer. This is Ajit Pai level of chutzpah.

At the same time, we have (in Sweden) received updated crisis information from civil defense (this is actually quite normal to receive regularly, we did skip a few updates though) asserting that every citizen should have a cash stashed away for the occasions a crisis occurs and cashless is not available.

At the same time, one of the bigger banks is in process of abandoning Sweden, while blaming an irrelevant issue. Their move has been planned for a while, and triggered by/blamed on the state curbing the insane loans which are likely to lead to the same type of crisis US went through a few years ago. (In Sweden, we have avoided the crisis in large part thanks to not having Euro, but now we have a loan bubble of our own to deal with.)

So, yeah, Swedish banks are dead set on taking all our money and making our money available to us as-a-service, and not money as-an-ownership. They are also quite likely to fail in the attempt due to playing their hand too late - the world has changed again, and national security in Sweden (and the whole of EU) including civil defense capability is about to come before the multinational corporations, much like in the rest of the world.

And the bank abandoning Sweden is most likely to be doing it in order to adjust to the new reality and prepare in time for a weird upcoming recession, then for any of the reasons they have actually stated.

Regarding cashlessness and credit / debit cards.
@ryan @wendell Just an FYI since you were wondering :slight_smile:

Yes most of Europe uses a different system, most countries have country-specific standards. In Germany for example it’s the girocard. It’s a system designed way before credit cards became popular over here, since credit cards (or rather the credit card companies) swept over from the US over time. Those cards were popular long before credit cards really became a thing though.

I’m not sure about other EU countries though. But those girocards are inherently a German development and connects all German banks (it was developed by the German banking industry committee, an association of the German banking industry). Previously there was “Electronic Cash” as an older standard that subsequently got replaced by girocard (hence why most people still call them “EC card” here, because no-one knows the difference).

They are compatible in some other EU countries, but largely they don’t work on their own. Almost all issued girocards are co-branded by either mastercard’s Maestro (previously or visa’s V Pay that do essentially the same thing, but are an international standard (note: on the V Pay page it states that it wouldn’t work outside Europe, which is not actually true, all terminals that accept V Pay work, regardless of country).

But it’s important to note that both those systems aren’t using the same payment authorisation as “real” credit cards. Both are designed to work with the banks existing authorisation servers, so when they are used they actually never connect to visa, but with the bank directly.

SEPA is supposed to have a European standard for card payments one day as well I think, but it’s not there yet. It did unify international transfers already though.

“I’m making a lot of guesses here”, which is french for… I’m talking out of my ass!

1 Like

(facebook)

“Data Breach”:

The fact that Facebook would out right lie about the CA thing is ridiculous. It was probably their idea to have a third party involved; for PR, so it couldn’t be traced directly to them. Let’s not forget that they wouldn’t have been breaking any laws by just selling directly. It’s what they do for a living; and it’s covered in the EULA. No one could do anything about it if they had sold it to CA in public, in broad daylight.

I don’t see how anyone can feel betrayed by Facebook. It’s like feeling betrayed by a surveillance camera that did it’s job. Expecting a mega-corporation to stay on one side of the fence is just stupid; especially since that side of the fence is significantly the minority.

Report:

Facebook is doing the same thing that one sees in press conferences. The only real difference is that it took longer because they don’t have people who prepare for such things ahead of time.

(Cashlessness)

Money is becoming a burden to the system. It’s the ones at the top that not only have the biggest issues with it, but also have been caught laundering it. Because cash is so privately liquid, it can be used to purchase anything; including under aged sex slaves. The money for such types of transactions then require laundering to hide the transaction. Banks of course will launder it; just to get it back into circulation. Single banks have been caught laundering 100s of billions in a single year. Trillions of dollars a year are spent on illegal activities; and that money is laundered for pennies on the dollar. The banks make a fortune every year off of illegal activities. There is however a great deal of risk and expense in do so.

Laundering doesn’t necessarily require physical liquidity though. What matters is what is on the books. Moving physical funds is a significant part of the expense. It can’t just be done with a UPS flat rate. It requires a partnership with a security firm. That risk is now imposed upon that security firm.

What type of circumstance would make laundering simple and convenient; and give the banks the bulk of control over the whole thing? Having someone type on a computer for a couple of minutes to prepare for an illegal transaction. Want to talk about power? Imagine all organized crime having to go through the banks. Of course this would be distributed in lengthy chains; putting the work off on organized crime. The profit margins would then be much higher. Organized crime would then be the only monetized crime.

I don’t think we have a term that properly describes the level of corruption that would be commonplace in such an instance. This has horrible implications when it comes to crypto-currency as well.

(Social Media)

The problem with seeing social media companies as having individual rights is in the name itself. How does one take responsibility for what is socialized and not take responsibility for discrimination of things that are not only not illegal but also protected under the constitution? This guy couldn’t be kept from speaking his mind in public for that specific reason.

We just don’t know how to classify virtual spaces yet. It’s going to take watching the consequences unfold.

Speaking of consequences, Twitter is having their cake and eating it too… and it’s probably going to screw all of us. “No they won’t abuse that”. They already have. Do we give our virtual, social spaces to public companies (corporations)? That’s what we’re doing.

Nationalism is something that I despise to my core and “racism” is something that spawns from it. It could very well however turn out that I wouldn’t be able to speak my mind about such things, if I don’t stand for those who promote them. That’s the reality. We have these social contracts for very specific reasons.

And as tedious as it gets arguing against every god damn fringe idiot idea, any un-uttered idea is also an idea that no one can argue against. Failing to deliver a platform where fringe idiot ideas are legally allowed to be uttered leads to not being able to argue against them. This fails to invalidate the fringe idiot ideas. It does not validate them, but certainly allows them to exist undisturbed in a void of ignorance. This is a problem like not going to see the doctor, because I feel healthy, then I go to see the doctor and discover I have fifty lethal cancers and am about to die from ten of them by tomorrow.

Now, those fringe idiot ideas don’t need to be uttered so many fucking times and used to vandalize and shut down everything else - there is a limit to my willingness to defend a person’s legal right to repeat the same fringe idiot idea too many times to harass the world. Plenty people need free space for a good reason - we are all different and we all need to function together, and indulging and expressing too far in fringe idiot ideas is a means to making people literally disfunctional. It is a conundrum lacking a satisfactory solution. It is not utterance of the ideas I find problematic, it is the amount and the platform and the delivery of the utterance - too loud, and everywhere possible, and with a fringe narcissistic obsession. When is it a harassment?

The fact that this type of issue is commonly used as a platform for boiling the proverbial frog makes tampering with the 1st Amendment a dangerous thing. I’m not versed in philosophy well enough to address the “should we”. I’m just concerned about what is likely to happen if we don’t stand for even the most vapid of nonsense. It’s just words.

It’s similar to the “eye for an eye makes the whole world blind” kind of scenario. We should make sure that even hate speech has a voice if we want to keep our own. There is always a nefarious third party to use strategies against competing entities for their own personal gain. While we’re arguing over weather the glass is half empty or full, some thirsty opportunist is drinking it down.

We’re all in the pot together. Let’s not turn up the heat.

1 Like

So, responding to this five year old post of mine… I cannot believe how time flies… I am 42 years old now, was 37 when I made this post originally.

1 year = entity of a one year old infants’ life
1 year = 1/6th of a 6 year olds’ life
1 year = 1/12th of a 12 year olds’ life
1 year = 1/25th of a 25 year olds’ life
1 year = 1/50th of a middle aged persons’ life
1 year = 1/100th of a 100 year old ancient persons’ life

Perception of time is relevant to age. Procrastination is your greatest enemy when you become older.

Why the fuck am I writing this ? I don’t really know…

currently on pain killers as I just had a bizarre infection in my right hand, had to go to a hospital emergency room. Get my hand cut open and a lot off puss was excreted. Have a shit photo

…

Merry Cystmas. muha ha ha ha…