Level1 News June 13 2019: How Much Can Apple Users Stand? | Level One Techs

https://www.one-tab.com/page/zsqiul_dQs2ZrWwhVVWpAg

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/level1-news-june-13-2019-how-much-can-apple-users-stand

Ive come to a somewhat not so nice realization. We keep (both engineers and software engineers) reinventing the wheel.

We create platforms that the average mom and pops cant do or have no interest in relearning.

Take for example Windows. Their ultimate plan is to move to a cloud based windows service. This is a violation of peoples freedoms in many ways but it also removes the ability for someone to maintain their own product and be sort of self sufficient.

The alternative is linux but look what we have done. We have sought linux out to be unique from windows or mac. We have made the install process very difficult even now for a user with 0 knowledge of what a partition even is. If they make it past thereā€¦ Drivers people think linux drivers are easier. Well what happens to a user who has no CLI experience. They can install the driver from the GUI but GUIs dont always add grub lines needed to boot flawlessly. So they end up with a black screen or frozen desktop with no idea how to diagnose it.

We have got to start making products that have little to no learning curve is my overall point if we want people to switch to things that give them any sort of freedom.

The same mentality should be taken into how we design products. Lol Apple 35k computerā€¦ gosh darn. I guess the ultimate idea is removal of any ability for the end user to maintain things and make it so cost prohibitive to buy average hardwareā€¦ like a 1000 dollar monitor standā€¦ jeez

2 Likes

Oh god, that pun.

Itā€™s painful.

2 Likes
1 Like

LMAO how long until apple realizes they cant do this. IDK though like I said above if people dont want to relearn they just pay the moneyā€¦ its really sad

Never.

Apple = The Church of Scientology but for thots and hipsters.

All I can think is New Dawn from watch dogs 2 LOL

1 Like

Oh, godā€¦ why? Why, did yall have to remind me of me of radius monitors and my time dealing with Macā€™s in my HS publications deptā€¦ God those machines were so painfully slow. Those super speedy 20-40 Mb external SCSI drives. That boulder sized Laserwriterā€¦

I remember the teacher being so impressed with the ā€˜Digital Cameraā€™ he got. It was a Canon, and it captured 640x480 images. In reality it was just frame grabbing stills from video iirc. ~3K for a toy that really had no practical application. Ok, fine. Iā€™ll admit played with it too. I think there were proper digital cameras even then but they were insanely expensive (10-20k) and the quality wasnā€™t that much better I imagine.

Wendell takes so long to code, because he can only write 240 characters at a timeā€¦

1 Like

But this is an improvementā€¦ up until recently it was just 144 characters at a time.

1 Like

240 might be enough for some recursion w/o a conditional exit. Social media an endless loop? Sounds about right.

I really have to comment on the title pun. Itā€™s just the right amount of subtle that you might not even realize it was a pun. I have to give a round of :clap: for whoever came up with that one. Well done.

1 Like

I just talked to a photographer today who is planning on buying a new macbook . . . SMH