Level1 News July 11 2017: Timeshare Sex Robots Is A Really Good Band Name | Level One Techs

https://www.one-tab.com/page/L5dGPtxyQKO-rBXh9nhSVw

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/level1-news-july-11-2017-timeshare-sex-robots-really-good-band-name
1 Like

re: dumb youtube couple

FYI, "50cal" sounds impressive BUT, not all 50cal's are created equal. The Desert Eagle that's chambered in 50cal uses the .50 Action Express cartridge, which is 12.7x**33**. There's a BIG difference between that and the 12.7x99 (.50BMG) or 12.7x108 rounds, which is the typical round you'd think of when hearing "50 cal". A quick look at wikipedia shows that .50 BMG has ~18,000 J of energy; .50 AE has ~2,000. Still, that's a very powerful handgun round, probably not the most powerful (.500 S&W perhaps?) but greater than your typical 9x19.

As for tanks, you're not going to be damaging the vital parts of modern tanks with any KE threat short of an actual tank round; though anti-tank rifles did exist back in the day, but they would be 14.5 or 20mm. Huge fucking rifles. Generally speaking rifles (like barret 50cal) chambered in .50 BMG are used in anti-materiel role, so for taking out light vehicles, equipment... You can see videos of it on youtube against car engines.

But yeah, completely idiotic and irresponsible to fire a gun at another person, and doubly so without testing it first. It's incomprehensibly stupid. Never point your [loaded] gun at something you are not willing to destroy. An article I read claimed the boyfriend convinced her it was safe by showing another book that had been shot, but it wasn't mentioned if it was the same round, or the same type of book. Regardless... idiots.

1 Like

Obligatory "your Patreon Link in the 'Listen to this as a Podcast' section is still wrong".

About the Cox thing expanding data caps... 1TB monthly should really be reasonably enough for 99% of the users. Now I know this is more of a thing by principle, you shouldn't have data caps at all etc., but seriously, how many people use 1TB of data each month... I consider myself to not be all that reasonable about the amount of traffic I generate, and in peak mmonths I got like 700GB or something? Was downloading 24/7 at the time, now I don't even really check anymore but I doubt it's much over maybe 400GB, and that's using netflix, twitch and youtube basically all the time. And to add to that, it's 2 people on this connection so... yeah. 1TB? More then enough for most people.
On a sidenote, I'm also "technically" on an unlimited service, but the ISP still reserves (and always will) the right to throttle traffic in a "reasonable manner" to "protect the integrity of the network". Now as far as I know that's when you use like 500gig a day for a few consecutive days, they throttle you to 5Mbit or someting for the rest of the week or so (which still is enough for most stuff).

iPhone facescanner... isn't that basically the same as Windows Hello? Aren't they also scanning your face for that? And supposedly Hello can't be easily tricked with a photo either. I have never used it, just what I read...

@wendell and @ryan @grizzle Here is a part of my imagination: a japanese bleeding edge kali user merges into traffic in his home build self driving car, to bring his sex robot back to his father for the strawberry harvest.

ps. if you think about time sharing robots, make the robots multifunctional, then they don't have any down time :grin: :smiling_imp:

I dont know whats that intro about but it was hitlarious

OMG you're so tacticool! I bet you're "that guy" at your local range. If I might ask 3 quick favors.

1. Write up 5 or 6 lengthy paragraphs on how striker-fired pistols are superior to hammer operated pistols. Be sure and catalog all of your own firearm purchases and relate them to the topic, I do love when people pointlessly itemize the things they own in a forum post!
  2. Give us your expert opinion on the 'a blade is better than a holstered handgun at 7 yards or less' debate. I'm sure you have some seriously valuable insight on that topic and I do love that debate.
  3. Finally, and this is the most important one, once you typed those up and proofread them, post them somewhere the fuck else.

This forum is already being ruined by "I'm really smart"/gatekeeping posts about traditional technology. I just don't think we have the capacity to move into shitposts about firearm technology.

1 Like

Uhhh.. what? I provided some clarification on what was talked about in the video. How is that a shitpost :confused:

Seriously. I'm not trying to talk down to anyone, I'm not claiming I'm an expert (why would that be a bad thing anyway?), and I'm not trying to make myself look 'tacticool'. I'm just happen to know a bit about guns. How am I ruining your forum?

I'm really surprised I'm being told to fuck off for commenting on your video. Fuck me, right?

You start your post with 'dumb youtube couple' and you're surprised at that response? Yes, fuck you. I actually don't mind the name-calling, but I very much mind the "Let me express the depth and breadth of my knowledge without actually contributing to the topic" theme of so many posts around here. As you summarized in your final paragraph, the ballistic qualities of the round are irrelevant to the point of the story.

Edit: realized you were talking about the couple in the story, not us, so fuck you a little less, but the point stands about "I'm really smart" posts and how they need to stop.

Seriously? Let me address this point by point cause I'm really shocked at your attitude here dude (I'm assuming you're the Ryan from the video, and my impression of you doesn't match what I'm reading here)

"Dumb youtube couple" was my way of referring to the story I'm commenting on, since you talked about a lot in the video. Why is your reaction to that lable "fuck you"? They're dumb people who did a dumb thing, on youtube. Seems descriptive enough to me. Oh, I see you thought by 'dumb youtube couple' I was reffering to you and Wendell! HAHA, no... definitely not.__

How is it not contributing to the topic? Wendell said in the video something about 50 cal being used against tanks, so I thought hey that isn't quite accurate, maybe he or others would like to know why 50 cal isn't such an obviously devastating thing. Since you'd think anything designed to kill a TANK could clearly defeat a book, but no it's not that simple, so they're not as dumb as you might have originally though knowing that.

Anyway, I'm shocked you're having a go at me with ad hominem shit and what the community guideline calls

"Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content."

I hope this hasn't become a 'Do as I say and not as I do" place since it became Level1Techs. Surely If I'm coming across as an arrogant fucktard everyone will be able to see that for themselves without an admin telling me to fuck off.

If an admin tells you to fuck off I'll override it, because the nanny-state mod team and rule set are another huge problem I have with this forum. Say what you want but don't be surprised to get a response you don't like.

Yes I am the person in the video and I made an edit to correct the insult part, but again I will defend my claim that posts like the one you made are bad for this forum.

3 Likes

Everyone knows that if you are going to to the .50 cal / book challenge.. you must use two of the table of contents from "The universe's guide to understanding females"

1 Like

I doubt anything I can say would be as bad for this forum as the owners telling users to fuck off. But I'll tell you what, if @wendell chimes in and thinks I should fuck off I'll delete my account.

And to be honest I'm still not sure how posting information about what was talked about in the video is a bad thing. Can you explain why you think that is the case? If I had commented on an article about a motherboard or something and given a correction [ie "you said it does this and this but actually it only does this"], would that be a) useful or interesting information or b) an "i am very smart look at me" post? Can only certain people post information? Or what was it specifically about the way I wrote my post that made it seems like a weird humblebrag instead of just being interested in sharing information? I'm not against the idea my attutide is shitty here, I'm just not seeing it.

No one is asking you to delete your account. Your post personifies the 'Well, actually (pushes glasses back)' meme. I understand you don't see it, but often people are not looking to be lectured in life. I realize you see a lot of that same behavior on this forum, even from those of us in the videos, that was my point. We need to be more cognizant of that as a community.

1 Like

Well telling me to fuck off and post my stuff the fuck elsewhere seems about equivalent to deleting my account. And I'll reiterate that it's worse for the forums to have admins (or owners, whatever) telling people to fuck off than it is to have users posting information, even if they did have a shitty attitude when doing so. Which I'm still not convinced of. Hell I even said "FYI" not, "well, ACTUALLY". Seriously β€” show me what I could have done better to not have been a horses ass while still posting the comment. Today someone learned that the 50cal cartridges in handguns aren't the same as the ones in rifles; what a tragedy! The forums are ruined! I'll tell that guy to fuck off, that'll make it better!

Sure, I can see that you don't want to be 'lectured' all the time. But I wasn't lecturing anyone, I was posting information. Information relevant to the video. If you don't care about a topic or don't want to listen to some dick rant on about stupid shit you can just... ignore it. Scroll on by. But if you're making a video about something and asking people to comment on it, you shouldn't β€” imo β€” tell them to fuck off for doing just that. I doubt I'd have cared if any regular user had a go at me but it's really a shame to see that coming from one of the people in the video. Why make them in the first place if that's your attitude...

Still not recommended but one might juuuuust do it

OK, I'll address your last question and then let's have this be the end of it. I expressed my dislike for your behavior, you expressed your dislike for mine.

I am well aware of the difference between these types of ammo. Go back and listen again. You can even hear a moment of hesitation where a little social awareness kicks in and I decide not to go for the 'You're wrong' approach and just brush by it with a 'not exactly but that's not the important bit'. I say that I don't think it is an armor piercing round but it will definitely do damage to a vehicle. Now I could have gone into the same kind of diatribe that you did but what would that have accomplished? Nothing more than to grandstand my own knowledge at the expense of the flow of conversation and also painting a big arrow pointing at someone else's lack of knowledge.

1 Like

Concerning Facebook's like button: Apparently I also collecty data of people who are not logged in and even those without an account. Their IP is enough to create a profile. The only thing one can do against this sort of practice is to block Facebook's like button via an adblocker for instance.

I think he meant the actual couple the news was about xD You know, the people that shot each other (with a weapon, not a camera) :smiley:

/edit
Nevermind, saw your correction, should have read to the end :smiley:

On a side-note, I didn't know there was a difference in those calibers, but then again I don't even know what caliber really means Β―\_(ツ)_/Β―