Level1 News January 30 2019: Struggling Chipmaker Seeks Single CEO in Santa Clara Area | Level One Techs

https://www.one-tab.com/page/e6js8gqsSl6sCeiU_Q7ncA

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/level1-news-january-30-2019-struggling-chipmaker-seeks-single-ceo-santa-clara-area

28:02 - WhatsApp puts limit on message forwarding to fight fake news

Iā€™m thinking this is feature plan for the combined messenger, and its being done for WhatsApp so people get used to it before that full merge?

:thinking:

1 Like

Gotta say, i use whatsapp and instagram but when facebook is done merging them, imma bounce.

I trust the separated state of facebook and its apps/platforms but merging it basically makes everyone who is not using facebook to the ā€˜facebook-user-by-proxyā€™ which, when it comes to light in 1-3 years, is highly illegal. so the ļ½šļ½•ļ½ƒļ½ƒ needs to apologize for not knowing that that is a bad thing in the eyes of the humans.

as someone who kills and butchers animals on occasion, there is reason for tasing the goat. you want the goat to be alive when you slice its throat so you can bleed it better. however if you slice a live goats throat its going to panic and thrash around for a minute or so and might kick you and definitely will get blood everywhere. tasing while cruel will stun the goat so it will sit there and bleed out quietly.

1 Like

Way ahead of you there.

EDIT: Ahh now I see, finally got to watching the News.

Yes commercial butchers so use a ā€œtaserā€ type device. this is noting at all out of the ordinary. This also begs the question have you not seen where meat comes from? It is not entirely pleasant to out bubble wrapped world these days but if you eat it you should know really.

What they have in very simplified description version of what I have watched is like flat BBQ tongs with lots of pretty long sharp spikes, these get pressed to either side of the animals head and an electric shock is applied through them, this stuns the animal completely and makes them limp but alive. then asp per above quote they cut the throat and the animal bleeds out. it should be noted they are hanging from the hind legs.

So while his home set up may have been cruder, i just donā€™t know, that is exactly how to do it.

I think it was Channel 4 in the UK was showing a series on our food, production and where it comes from. they asked people with the premise that if they eat it would they like to know the process of it getting to their plate. Even some vegetarians went along just to see if I remember correctly. It was genuinely educational.

1 Like

mmmm

I had never heard of the tasing device for butchering animals, though the comments have explained thatā€™s actually fairly common. Most of the locally harvested meat Iā€™ve eaten came from a friends farm (where the animal was processed off-site) or was hunted (and thus killed via bullet/arrow). I learned something today!

Also I misread the story, thereā€™s a line near the top mentioning he didnā€™t actually kill the goat in front of Dorsey. The rest of the article seems to imply that Zuckerberg did actually kill it himself there though? If he didnā€™t do it in front of his guest, I think thatā€™s a lot less strange. Nothing wrong with raising your own food.

1 Like

That is how I understand it yes. He wanted to have end to endā€¦ Animal traceability, not encryption lol.

Sorry, was not meaning to be confrontational or accusational. And learning, gruesome as it is in this case, is always good.

And indeed there are other methods which you guys mentioned, I understand it is used in different places for different methods of slaughterā€¦ Emā€¦ There is definitely a more accurate word relating to animal meat processing but it escapes me.

EDIT: ah the term for the electric shock is Electronarcosis. Used mainly for humane animal slaughter it is also effective in people for other uses.

Donā€™t worry there is nothing graphic at all in this article.

On Spotify you can choose exactly what you want to listen to, just like on Soundcloud.

I donā€™t understand what the mute and block features are for.