Level1 News August 28 2018: Ray, The 0.03 Point Tracer | Level One Techs

https://www.one-tab.com/page/QJRnKGakR0Oe7wFzcwm6dw

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/level1-news-august-28-2018-ray-003-point-tracer

(Ray tracing)

Rasterization was developed for gaming and the gaming GPU. It’s probably hitting it’s aesthetic limits right about now. This doesn’t mean that ray tracing is a short term solution though. This is because much of what is accomplished with casting rays is the result of work loads being put on the CPU. This is the case even with Winfast and Firestorm cards. Unlike rasterization, it’s not all about the GPU.

Maybe this can be pulled off in the near future; but the CPU requirements are likely to go through the roof, to get a significant aesthetic difference.

I suspect that there’s a lot of hype here that isn’t justified. What are they going to do, put a powerful co-processor on the card with it? I’m really skeptical about this.

(twitter and sensorship)

I think it’s a little more complicated than just the “rights” of a private organization. Tim Berners Lee suggested in developing the internet that it wouldn’t function unless it was a liberated public space. That seems right to me.

The problem is that twitter is a platform for public discourse. Consider what might happen if twitter were funding a brick and mortar platform for public discourse. What would be the outcome then? So, are we to see twitter as a platform for public discourse or not? If they have the responsibility of such a distinction shouldn’t they actually have the responsibility of such a distinction?

The problem is that companies that are enjoying private “rights” are also the infrastructure for public interaction. That is a conflict of interest; and it’s being used malevolently by all social media companies. You can’t have a public, private space. It’s an oxymoron; and social media companies are having their cake and eating it too. But, why should we expect anything else? This is just as stupid as what the ISPs are pulling.

They have a responsibility to their patrons… just not all of them. Who’s next?

The Ray Tracer headline got me.

Also @5:55 “How many t-shirts do you think are out there with LOL on them?”

Well, LOL is pretty big right now…

1 Like

For the P&G trademark, I kinda doubt they can get those trademarks. I mean, you can’t trademark “common words” (even though, technically acronyms but whatever). On the other hand google is worrying that they might loose a trademark because “googling” something is such a common phrase now…

For the Tom’s Hardware “Just Buy It” story, the best thing in that article is that it is from the now-Editor-in-Chief of Tom’s Hardware, and he just bashes the other guy for no reason.

GN also did a funny video on it:

Also 2080 Ti is gonna be “a hundred dollars more”? Eeehh? The 2080 Ti is set to launch at 1200$ MSRP whereas the 1080 Ti is like 800$ MSRP, and correct me if I’m wrong on this but I think this is more then 100 dollars. Not to mention that the 1080 Ti is way below MSRP at this point.

1 Like

I thought msrp for the 1080 to was $700 ?

Sorry meant same performance for $100 more plus some extra bits

Not sure on the 1080 (also not 100% on 1080 Ti, I just looked up the german MSRP but since companies love doing 1:1 prices now…)

Basically, it’s the ray tracing tax. :stuck_out_tongue:

From what I understand, the performance of the card will not be a big leap over the 1080ti, but the $100 price increase will be purely for the additional feature of real time ray tracing. Which is very much in its first generation infancy on commercial cards, and as many have pointed out will have the worst implementation going forward.

The ray tracing technique is being implemented through the CUDA cores and rasterized to the final output, which is done for performance reasons. Not sure how big of a performance penalty that has on the main GPU core. But, since it is the first implantation, not many new games will be pushing it as a main feature and will probably use it sparingly in game for a while. It’s going to be limited to “ultra” settings, when it is used.

It’s good that Nvidia is pushing something like this, and starting to get some use out of the CUDA compute cores in gaming. Which are generally underutilized. But yeah, seems like it is best to wait for the second generation implementation, unless you really want these bleeding edge features now.

The onetab has a bad link for the washington post article, it just links to https://www.washingtonpost.com/. I assume the intended link was:

Edit: Discourse is adding a ?noredirect=on to the url when it expands it to a “onebox”; could this be used for tracking in any way? Why is Discourse doing this?