Level1 News August 15 2017: Nuclear Powered Fidget Spinners | Level One Techs

https://www.one-tab.com/page/hTh7Zgr1QB6r7Mz6Krewww

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/level1-news-august-15-2017-nuclear-powered-fidget-spinners
2 Likes

The random number generator is pretty interesting. Using physical phenomena like that has research value as well. Analyzing the output data might illuminate undiscovered properties.

Much of the study done on QM and complex systems is done with statistical analysis and probabilistic logic due to the measurement problem and overwhelming numbers of variables. The notion that the number is actually randomized is more a product of the central dogma than empirical data. It’s accepted by most and taught in statistical mechanics that the inability to demonstrate determinism is due to human limitations. The Epistemology concerning QM is that, when using statistical analysis as a core to the methodology, one can expect that the results seem probabilistic.

That being said, large numbers of samples would be relatively easy to collect and analyzed for patterning. It essentially turns the study on it’s head and looks for direct, physical evidence for true randomization. Intuitively, one would expect that some form of normative patterning would be present in large numbers of samples.

Of course it would be far from the first time that random number generators have been used in statistical studies; and all have been stymied; without explanation. Patterns have always been found; and even influences have been leveraged in the outputs of random number generators. I can’t wait to see what the researchers throw at it.

Here is the obligatory ‘Darn robots are taking our jobs’ story.
Now they are coming for The Lounge and our gifs.

1 Like

09:51 @pgpryan said:

Just like Google, and the story we will not touch...

Smart move, I guess.

From the reactions I’ve seen in the past days, anyone mentioning this story without attacking James Damore risks being labeled as a far-right white supremacist. Makes it impossible to have a rational discussion about the subject, and TBH I’m even a little afraid to be posting this comment.

A video explaining / speculating the new Mazda engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KhzMGbQXmY

tl;dw: the engine will probably switch between compression and spark plugs, depending on temperature and possibly other factors. It will probably go on sale in the 2019 Mazda 3.

1 Like

Speaking of the FCC doing terrible things, the recent spectrum reallocation has really screwed a lot of people in my industry. They sold the 600mhz band to T-mobile, among other reblocks, leaving us ~100mW operators with barely 1/5 or less spectrum space (of what we had) to squeeze together into, and leaving some of our equipment completely useless. Of course, it isn’t bad for everyone, and it varies from city to city, but it rings of greed.

That’s going to be bad ass… 185 HP hatchback that gets over 40 MPG on the highway, sign me up! My 2011 is due to be replaced around 2020 anyways so good times.

As far as Ticket Masterbator is concerned… yeah, if Amazon can get in and handle things at a reasonable fee that would be great. To attend a Atlanta United game the “ticket” price is 44 dollars. Now once Ticket Masturbator is done (and a 3 dollar “facility” fee and “customer service” fee of 5 dollars) that is 65 dollars. So your cost to enter the building is not 44, it’s 65. Ticket Masterbator fees rise up as you go for the pricier tickets. Why does it cost them more money to “stock” a ticket that is a 110 dollar option vs a 44 dollar option? Of course Ticket Masterbator site doesn’t tell you their fees up front… you have to actually go through and select your seat then login then goto checkout in order to see actually how expensive it, its very deceptive. Oh yeah, then you have parking around the arena which is probably going to be 20 dollars. so a 44 dollar event turns into a 85 dollar event, at a minimum.

@wendell On criminalising re-identification of anonymized data.

If data is being sold or used by third parties, I feel like what they should do is generate synthetic data from the real source.

Synthetic data is used in lots of areas of research because it gets around that problem of de-anonymizing data, the data isn’t exactly real (if done right) so cant be sourced back. It seems to be that what should be done is to ensure more companies are using synthetic data. They have no requirement to unlike areas of research where you can compromise the people your researching if you are able to identify them, especially when they are things like medical record.

2 Likes