Level1 KVM 1.4 DP - Mac Mini M1 - CoolerMaster Quick Fire Ultimate Issue

I’ve had my Level1 DP1.4 Dual Monitor 4 Computer KVM for a little while now and it has been brilliant. No more unplugging / plugging cables, no more manually switching monitor inputs. Everything has been smooth except for one issue I can’t seem to get to the bottom of.

I have an old CoolerMaster Quick Fire Ultimate which has served me well, but I am now experiencing an issue with it, the L1 KVM, and my M1 Mac Mini, where it stops responding after a few minutes. This never happens on any of the other Windows based computers connected to the KVM.

Interestingly once the keyboard has frozen (type in characters but nothing registers and displays on the screen, numlock light doesn’t toggle when numlock is pressed, etc), if I switch inputs back to one of the other Windows based computers, the keyboards is frozen there too. I have to power cycle the KVM, or unplug then then plug the keyboard back in to get it to respond. I’ve tried it in the HID and the USB3 port with same issue occurring in both.

If I plug the keyboard straight into the back of the M1 Mac Mini, it works flawlessly.

One thing I noticed is the keyboard has a N Key rollover mode that googling suggests is not MacOS compatible. This is true, the keyboard will not even work directly plugged into the Mac in this mode. I have ensured it is in the 6 Key rollover mode. i have even backed the polling rate back from 1ms to 8ms and that made no difference either.

@wendell any ideas here?

This is probably an edge case with the keyboard itself. Might be best off to get a new keyboard but thought I’d ask the question just in case anyone else has had and fixed a similar issue?

Is anyone using an M1 Mac with a L1 KVM? What keyboard have you successfully used?

@Argone , what keyboard are you using? @THEkitchenSINK you have an M1 too right not sure if mini though

I use software kvms like sharemouse and beta universal control
I do not have a physical kvm

I use satechi keyboard because if the kvm fails a button press and im back

Slim x3 type c / wireless

1 Like

I use synergy which is cross platform (software kvm).

I am using DAS Pro 4 (keyboard).

I actually got so frustrated with the m1, that I gave it to my parents…

1 Like

I’ve managed to fix it but I can’t explain why. I had to move the Mac Mini M1 to one of the other three inputs, and have the keyboard in 6 Key Rollover mode in the non HID USB port.

@Matt84 I know this was a while ago, but what input by chance was the M1 mac plugged into. I’ve got the same KVM and experiencing a similar issue.

@tinyux I have the dual DisplayPort KVM so I have the M1 mac mini connected via 1m generic USB-C to DisplayPort cable for one display, and M1 HDMI Out → CableMatters Active HDMI to DisplayPort Adapter → Club3D 1m DisplayPort Cable → KVM. KVM to screens are both Club3D 1m cables too.

USB wise I have a USB 3.0 A to B cable between the M1 and the KVM. I found the keyboard behaves in 6 Key Rollover mode in the non HID port.

If the keyboard is placed into N Key Rollover mode it doesn’t work on the Mac at all. If I put it in the HID port it will stop working after a period of time.

It still drops out occasionally, as in a few times per week, but I power cycle the KVM and it works again.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.