Level1: 172tb+ Storage Server | Level One Techs

I feel like the next vide about the storage server should be about how well its operating and what the transfer speeds are looking like.

I am curious, did you all run fedora workstation or server? I am assuming server but I am so new to this stuff. I just have to ask.

Im 95% sure its freeNAS so that's BSD and a really solid NAS platform.

It looks like they chose fedora from the original post. Now that I think about it, I feel like I remember them saying they used freeNAS in the video.

1 Like

That would be interesting to follow...ZFS was only recently added to linux desktop wise I believe. Be cool to see how its goes I agree.

Fedora Workstation, as I can get server parts witn enf easy enough. The zfs pool was created on freebsd, imported into freenas 10, and we finally settled on fedora 25. we may move it around.. zfs is super portable between systems.

Most of the freenas references were removed but I think we missed one in editing.

3 Likes

I have a burnt in ZFS=freenas in my brain so could be me :)

As I mentioned it would be great to follow googles evil servers re-purposed for good life :)

1 Like

Yes as Alan Jude says Zfs is Zfs on BSD and Linux. Was about to redo my Freenas 9.10 to a freenas 10 but now am considering a Linux system with zfs...May have to hold off til the second video comes out that goes into OS setup and such. I am hoping Docker is maybe its own 20-30 min video.

1 Like

This.

Need extensive Docker coverage. It sounds very neat, and I'd like to look into setting it up for a moderately sized network I handle.

Oh man. Given abundant hardware I still would not take the risk on the shelves, but would I love to play with that setup...

What I don't understand is, why don't manufacturers make RAID controllers, that do integrity checking just like ZFS?

Horrible inefficiency. The integrity checking needs to be coupled to the filesystem. Otherwise you have at least an extra seek to get the parity/integrity info per raid chunk, and that also has to be stored on spinning rust.

At this scale it doesn't make sense to try to put this much computational horsepower and smarts on a pcie card. Better q separate computer. This is line of thinking is how sans were born .

4 Likes

@wendell likely a different video, but I'd love to see how to protect a setup like this from randsomware. I'm not well read on it, but I've heard about some randsomeware encrypting network shares it can access. This video does a great job of explaining hardware protection of the data (and ZFS stuff), but I'm curious what else goes into keeping your data safe software wise.

1 Like

I really enjoyed this video.
The humor was great,
But got a few ideas for my home server I'm planning.

As Someone that has a freenas box, I'd love to know how you migrated the ZFS partitions over to Fedora without loosing any data? I like freenas but I'm bouncing into limitations with virtual machines etc. so switching to a linux OS might be the way to go. however, I don't want to go through a ritual of backing up the data and then copying back onto a newly formatted ZFS partition.

Both FreeNAS and Fedora use OpenZFS. It's as simple as exporting on FreeNAS, then scanning for and importing the pools on Fedora.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/gbchy/index.html

1 Like

Should be able to import your zfs pool from freenas into fedora.
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/zfs-zpool.html
Read this it's further down the page but the jist is export pool and then import pool commands.
Maybe do a small pool with some datasets on a small two drive mirror under freenas
https://doc.freenas.org/9.10/storage.html
Read this part starting with detach volume. Basically detach volume that keeps data and then you will need to use commands from freebsd to import that volume in Fedora.

1 Like

Literally ZFS export poolname then on Fedora ZFS import poolname. DONE.

1 Like

Well I thought that freenas wants you to use webgui?

I mean....

If the goal is to get the ZFS pools from FreeNAS to some other OS, who cares?

FreeNAS does prefer you use the webGUI because the webGUI won't acknowledge anything you do using the shell. But again, if the end goal is to not be using FreeNAS, why would it matter?