Level 1 Gains: Bulking Edition

Yeah, I tend to not do enough cool-down and stretching.

:thonk: gotcha.

I’m tempted to give it the good ol 3 month try, but I’m also happy with my current 3 day split. :thinking:

1 Like

Look into what Dorian Yates and Dennis Wolfe did if you’re really interested. 3 months would be a good trial run.

There are also these bros that blogged about it:

With Rest-Pause you can think of it as cramming your three or four sets into one speed run. You lift four or five or six, rest for 10 seconds, lift two or three, rest for 12 seconds, lift three or four, etc.

DoggCrapp is a lot more hardcore but those guys will give you an idea into H.I.T. which is what DC is based on

1 Like

It’s the working mans 5x5?

I’ll have to give that a look then. :smiley:

1 Like

Less time spent in the gym for about the same gainz yeah. A lot more intense though.

BTW T-Nation is no joke they mostly know their stuff :wink: I’ve followed Christian T. for a while

Yeah, definitely.

I wonder if I’m overworking groups by doing legs+bis, Back+shoulder, chest+tris? I wanted to swap shoulder and biceps around because I basically hate legs and love biceps, so I wanted to make that day a bit more enjoyable.

1 Like

If you’re doing too many things in one day to “feeeel teh bern” leg days can suck – But it also may not be yielding any benefits.

If you’re doing 6 to 8 exercises, 4 leg and 2 bicep or 5 leg and 3 bicep, whatever, you can trim that down a lot and focus more on stretching, maximum effort or intensity on a main lift or two, and some accessory lifts.

Most guys I used to roll with had their leg day be: some squat, some laying/sitting squat, some leg press, some extension or curl, some single version of the extension or curl, some calf thingy. That’s A LOT. You can easily trim that down to four exercises.

Squat or Sumo Deadlift
Romanian Deadlift or Good Morning
Bulgarian Split Squat or Reverse Lunge
Kettlebell swings or reverse hyperextensions.

Four exercises in a 5x5 then 3x6-8 scheme will fucking kill it. Eat right (and eat a lot) and sleep a lot and you’ll probably see a lot more results than cherry picking little machines and variants of the same lift that are hitting 1/4 of the potential you could with a core, compound lift.

Sorry for the rant, I don’t know if this is happening to you but circling back, people I know that hate leg days tend to over do it. You can do leg day in 20 min :wink:

You could separate shoulders to their own day:

• Core lift - Over head Press
  • Accessory 1 - Lateral Raise
  • Accessory 2 - Upright row
  • Accessory 3 - Front Raise/Rear Fly
  • Leg raises/crunch time

Otherwise I’d throw them in with chest day. That’s typically what I do:

• Bench, normal
  • Bench, close grip
  • Olympic Ring Pushups or Skull Crushers
  • Lateral Raise (I use to swap with front raises, but I changed how I bench so delts get hit pretty hard in 5x5 bench)
  • Pushups (to failure)

Badda-ya-boom baby.

Biceps get hit with back day if you’re doing it right, so you can throw EZ curls, hammer curls, DB curls, whatever after your back exercises.

Fuck both of these exercises.

Perfect.

Hmmm, not a bad idea. Shoulders are my favorite, but I always get rotator cuff irritation. Not so much damage, but irritation.

Oh, delts are hit on bench? Fuck, I don’t need to worry bout that then.

Wish I had olympic ring. :confused: Skull crushers are great tho.

Also, do you flat bench or mix it up with incline/decline? I’ve heard so many differing things about that “you gotta get an even split on all 3” “you just need flat” “fuck flat, do inc/dec” I usually just do flat 2/3 of the time, then mix it up a bit couple times a fortnight.

1 Like

Preach lol. You can do a shoulder dislocation stretch and a ton of warmups. You don’t even have to do high volume warm ups.

Barbell, 5 reps
+ 10lbs, 3 reps
+ 15lbs, 3 reps
+ 10lbs, 5 reps
+ 10lbs, 3 reps

Work set, 5 reps

The warmup needing to be 10 to 12 reps is kind of a bad myth. Not sure if you’re doing that but it irritated my shoulder a lot when I was banging out 8 to 12 reps per warm up set.

Yeah if you bring your elbows in and lie still you should use a lot of different muscles. “Pressing” below the nips/above the sternum will enforce this form, for most people.

Ugh, no lol. I like incline bench, but my bench doesn’t do that. Then again, I have the O-rings, so I tend to not worry about it. If you have some heavy DBs you can swap that for the barbell now and then, which helps a lot. But, no, you don’t have to ever do decline bench. You can do floor presses/bridged bench if you want a longer range of motion. But it’s not required.

BB/DB Bench
Dips
Pushups

Those three things are all a man needs for some chesticles :wink:

Floor Press

Bridged Bench

Re: Decline Bench

Okay so for people that are trying to gain specific mass for specific areas these are important, but it’s typically for a very small percentage of people AKA professional bodybuilders that are told they have a flat chest lol.

Kind of related, this dude supposedly never BB benched

Just dumbbells and pushups lol.

@SgtAwesomesauce

Yeah, I was doing like 12-15 reps warmup… :thonk:

RSI I guess…

My DBs go 2lbs (gf likes those, thinks they’re doing something for her) to 80lbs. :smiling_imp:

Ah, gotcha.

Dips are fucking hell. I guess that’s why they work.

How does floor press give you more range of motion. I thought that was to limit the range…

so close-grip form?

1 Like

How do you all feel about Arnold Press?

I fucking love it, but it absolutely thrashes my shoulders.

Not a huge fan of the standard military press, so I like that this provides a nice alternative. Just don’t want to kill the rotator cuff…

1 Like

I found myself watching some videos on making these last week:

I might build one. I have to wait for the cost of plates to go down before I actually get to use it.

2 Likes

Hmmm, interesting. I’d be worried about the stress tolerance of the wood.

Because of the low cost, I could test it out and not care if it wears down fast. I am not going heavy, no more than 300 lbs on anything.

Steel versions are on Amazon for like $300 cad.

1 Like

That’s fair. I guess with the inflation in my area, $300 doesn’t feel like that much money for a steel rack like that.

1 Like

If I build this for $50, I can put the most of the money in the plates.

1 Like

That’s actually a huge savings. I didn’t realize it could be done for so cheap.

I figured it’d be more like 120

Yup, just some 4x4x8’ posts and the hardware.

$12 per piece. It would be a little more than $50… maybe $50-100.

Two 2x4’s is $6 total, half the cost of 4x4.

1 Like