Lets talk cooling, the whole room

So then you just get a blowey? to come out, check the fittings, fill 'er up and sign off?

3 Likes

I’m afraid my country is too backwards to evolve AC… :frowning: :sweat: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I was literally just talking to a friend in Pakistan who has off-grid solar and AC, how much more backwards could you be?

2 Likes

Seriously, our gov gives cash grants to people who install #HeatPumps™ which are of course the new sexy.

But if you have the temerity to install cooling as well as the heating option on the system, they fuck you off.

Or something; It’s literally counter productive…

Welp, nevermind, I dont know how the system works, and thought they jnly granted if you have heat pumps for a water boiler,/ best echangrr instead of a the splits/cassettes, but can’t find source, so presume I am talking out of my ass…

okay, the grant, is for a heat pump that heats a water storage, for showers and central heating. they don’t want to grant for air-to-air devices, as their plan is to move people off gas water heating, to electric water heating

2 Likes

they would have to prove it was not up to code for the build date. but the insurance company will work really hard to make sure they do not have to make a pay out.

one of my friends had a completely home built non-attached garage burn down recently. he had some random photos of a car where you could kind of see the electrical panel in the back ground. that was enough for the insurance to not drag it through court here.

also, ‘farm community’ the vast majority of things outside the ‘city’ and about half and half inside the city, were not built by a ‘professional’.

2 Likes

Oh, I’m not suggesting these sort of installs shouldn’t be DIY-able, but just want OP to be informed on the risks.

3 Likes

I havent heard of AC go boom, despite the backwardsness of our contry and I dont think I’ve heard of insurances having issues with DIY AC builds

1 Like

@Grokas If you can do this, is it safe to assume that a window is a possibility? I don’t know if it’d be cheaper or more expensive.

It might not seem as “nice” to have a window AC (or one of those portable ones that sits on the floor and vents out the window), but I always worry that something built into the wall could fail and then you’d have a more annoying repair and replacement process.

1 Like

‘efficiency’ is a sliding scale here.

window units and portable floor sitting units are pretty much bottom of the barrel. Even high end window units barely make it off the ‘bad’ tier.

the ‘through wall’ built in things like in some hotel rooms actually strike a good happy medium, if that is an option.

mini splits (emphasis on heat pump variants) are the new sexy, because they are orders of magnitude more efficient. only being beat out by some very good installed real full size ducted inverter HVAC systems. and even then they can be argued either way.

1 Like

Thank you all for the input! This was extremely helpful.

I should have made it clear I was not explicitly intending to DIY this solution, merely wanted to learn more from this community on how its done properly so that I don’t lose my cool if something were to blow up in my face :sweat_smile:

Its an 8ft x 8 ft subterranean room with no windows and only a door. There is existing duct work to one vent in the room, but the rest of my basement is fine. I have merely created a hot box when I moved in, turning this former drummer’s practice room into the computer room.

This gave me a good chuckle as a few friends of mine live in Canada and simply don’t have the same issues I have living in the southern US. :hot_face:

Yeaup, this was what I was thinking. Keep it simple and dumb. Installed professionally but personally maintainable.

Toshiba and Mitsubishi were my two top brand choices thusfar.

Yea I was not very clear on my original post that I would be having a professional do the skilled work and I would be sous chef helping them along the way and obviously performing necessary maintenance to keep it running.

Yea in my state they must be licensed.

Well basic maintenance can be done by anyone to almost any unit, anything more complex is not user serviceable for any model.

• keep exhaust radiator vertebrae clean using low pressure water jet
  • do not let indoor heat exchanger get frosted over (can happen)
  • not not service coolant pressure lines, compressor or electricals

Since you cannot do any more maintenance by yourself, it boils down to whose authorized service techs are available and affordable.

Just funny/scare reading about so called Global warming potential - Wikipedia, i.e relative GW potential of element compared to plain old carbon dioxide.

It takes into account all the funny thing like direct effect, volatility and therefore lifetime in atmosphere and all that rot.

Most common refrigerants are god awfully bad from GW perspective. Hydrofluorcarbons have potential up to 10 000s, which isnt fun.

Discharging contents of small coolling loop into atmosphere, like just few just kilos of refrigerant, is effectively same as emitting tens to hundred tons of CO2.

1 tonne of CO2 is equal to:

• Electricity consumption (grey) by 0.65 households in one year in NL (average consumption HH: 2765 kWh, source Milieucentraal) 2
  • 1 car on gasoline driving half a year in NL (average km’s per year with passenger car, gasoline: 9,994 km, source CBS, Dutch National Statistics) 2
  • 1 car on electricity (grey) driving for one year in NL (averaged km’s per year with passenger car: 11,198 km (general average, E car average unknown, CBS, Dutch National Statistics) 2
  • 72 trips Amsterdam – Paris with the Thalys 2
  • 2,6 economy flights Amsterdam – Rome 2

ref: What exactly is 1 tonne of CO2? We make it tangible. - Anthesis-Climate Neutral Group

1 Like

The easiest solution for me, is having the computer in another room (in my case, garage) and running optical DisplayPort and usb cables. That way only the monitor, lights and me are generating heat.

4 Likes

Still the remaining question is: the two split airco-units (most likely multi-split units), assuming 3.5 Kw times 2 or around 10000 BTU times two (so 20000 BTU) cooling capacity, it quite a lot for a single room.

Maybe the room is quite big and he has multiple computers/servers running. That make sense.

EDIT: 10k BTU.

i am pretty sure that you are missing a decimal… 10k not 1k. also it is amazing how much heat even a homelab can put out. 20k(total or redundant) can be needed even in a small-ish room

2 Likes