Let's Build a CPU

6 Likes

That was a magnificent explanation. I'll be checking this thread often.

1 Like

For even more fun, limit yourself to 1950's technology and see if you could survive time travel with a broken time machine :)

2 Likes

How about retro-futurism technology? Fallout style. :D

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Sorry for the delay, I rewritten this part a bunch of times. Anyways Here it is:

3 Likes

There is the Megaprocessor. Very cool room sized CPU.

3 Likes

Yeah I saw that projects. It's simply amazing. I'd love to do actual CPU from discrete parts, but I am bit broke atm, and not good with EE. I hope one day I can learn enough about EE to make it though.

Hey! Guess who's not dead, yet!

New part is out: finishing the ALU.

Sorry for such a long delay, life happened. More in the ending of the part 4.

3 Likes

Interesting, wish I had seen some of these before taking my comp org class. would have given me a base line understanding of the stuff going in.

Yo, sorry for the the wait again. New part coming at ya very soon. I am done with the schematics, just need to write the actual blog post.

By the end of it we'll have 2/3 of the CPU done.

Teaser/Spoiler:

3 Likes

New part is out, cut it a bit, coz it was getting long and I was getting tired:

Really sorry for delays lately, honestly it's mostly due to procrastination. And feeling like shit played its part as well I guess.

2 Likes

This thread is so low-level that level1forums is too damn high for it.

1 Like

I wonder if you have anything to do with the guy from habrahabr who wrote about making CPU but from a chemist's point of view, DIYing his own clean room/chem laboratory, vacuum chamber, all this stuff. Last thing I recall from him was how he managed to order and receive a lot of hydrofluoric acid. Not sure if he's just burned out or still working on it.

1 Like

I don't fully understand what's going on, but I am thoroughly enjoying the process regardless.

Cheers for sharing!

1 Like

Link please, and no.

What would you like me explain better?

1 Like

It's probably from my sheer ineptitude to understand low level components haha but,

A CPU is essentially a series of logic gates which pass an electrical signal through depending on what's needed? Is that roughly correct?

1 Like

Pretty much. But more like separate blocks of series of gates, that communicate with each other via "buses" aka bunch of wires

The biggest difference between software and hardware, is that hardware is parallel by default.

If you have signal going to 2 gates, they'll both do their thing in parallel. This is why we also do sequential logic, and sync stuff with clock. So we can execute instructions in order that we want.

1 Like

Ah, that makes a lot more sense hahah - great explanation, short and sweet! Thanks!

1 Like