Computer Science Lounge - [Too Many Idea Men Edition]

...Ask who he adapted his materials from. There's not a small chance he adapted from C K Shene. Singularly the most infuriating prof I've run into, but apparently he was one of the first to really start teaching the subject.

I will next time I run into him.

.aar like a .a or .so, or like a .zip with files in it?

edit: Reading into it more, this looks very much like a project configuration issue. However, it should still be workable in your project not as a .aar and just compile it in.

We go it to work, the person using it didnt import it correctly.

Hey guys, idk if this is okay. It is advertising and I hate it myself, but I'd love some more feedback. Plus, I think you guys might be interested in the topic, and might even give me some tips! :D

I am trying to build an 8-bit CPU in Logisim. I have a blog where I write about it, and I post new links here on forums in this thread: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/lets-build-a-cpu/113840/14

I'd love more people to check it out and give me criticism and feedback!

Again terribly sorry if you guys don't link this kind of plugs, just tell me to never do it again if so :P

EDIT: Btw, I have 0 formal experience in EE and most of CS. Basically self-taught, although I did attend college and uni (dropped out) but Ukrainian education can only go so far :P

1 Like

Good luck, I have some education of processor architecture and might be willing to take a look. I probably cant contribute anything.

1 Like

You're missing out, man!

Missing out on what exactly?

It is in general a great project to allow one to understand the workings of a processor and how code gets run, helps with better intuitions on how to optimize code, how energy is consumed and how some design choices affect power or time or code size, how embedded compression can help throughput, how optimizing for one processor or paradigm can get on the way of similar optimization for another -- just really cool considerations that are made clear in that kind of project.

Its more of a time thing at the moment, pretty busy with most of my classes. I would like to put a project like this on my que to look at in the future.

I do know how a processor works and have designed some simple hardware designs in the past.

My que so far is:

1. Finish off school projects
  2. Start Internship this summer and work apart from weekends
  3. Finish up some side projects on my Github including launching that website on my Github onto a Linux server
  4. Start learning data science/machine learning/AI
  5. Make a simple embedded board for some project over summer
    6 and Onwards: More pojects and get a Alteria FPGA board and design a simple processor based off of MIPS with a simple cache(FIFO) system.

When you get to 4 and 6, hit me up. I've completed most of 4, and have designs in mind for 6.

1 Like

You are starting to convince me of doing it. It would bring me a lot of pleasure if I told a bunch of computer engineers I just made a processor for fun over summer lol. When the summer comes prepare for a message from me I will write you down somewhere as the go to guy about this how to get started for stuff I am unsure about.

2 Likes

it's gonna be the best job security you can get in the next 10 years.

Surprised I didn't see this.

Computer and Mobile Engineer checking in

Finally taking advantage of the free RHEL developer subscription

s

1 Like

Probably stupid question, what is RHEL's developer subscription? Is it free RHEL? Why not CentOS then?

1 Like

Its free

4 Likes

Thanks, will look into it. My google-fu failed me for some reason. (I blame duckduckgo this time)

If you virtualise it, the one license covers two vms.

3 Likes