Lesson to be Learned in the Value of Old Computers: Rare Apple-1 Computer at Recycling Centre {$100,000 awaiting lady donor}

A rare Apple-1 computer hand-built by Steve Wozniak in 1976, was recently dropped-off at a recycling centre in Silicon Valley; the centre's owners are keen to contact the un-named donor as there is a $100,000 cheque awaiting her.

The Wozniak Apple-1 was purchased by a computer history museum for $200,000, and the recycling centre desires to give her that half-share of the $200,000.

Goes to prove, there is 'value' in that old hardware.

1 Like

People like the incomparable Steve 'Woz' Wozniak, and of course Bill Gates (of Microsoft) made access to computers a little easier during those halcyon days of computer development (prior to 'corporatisation' rearing its ugly head)

Of course computers like the Apple-1 were to prove to be a 'stepping-stone' in making computer-access possible for all consumers.

Woz pictured below holding his note-book with hand-written code at a computer museum (amazingly, these days we have the luxury of 'compilers' on PCs)

It's interesting that a computer hand-built by Steve Wozniak in 1976 that retailed for $666 would be 'valued' by a computer museum to be worth $200,000 US.

I'd move this to General Discussion - Just a recommendation.

I guess it still 'relates' or is 'affiliated' with hardware, I'll let the mods adjudicate on this one.