LED-less AMD GPU on Linux?

I’m looking to buy an AMD GPU. I was leaning towards the Sapphire RX 580 limited edition, however, it has LEDs all over it (which are in my opinion a completely unnecessary distraction and source of heat). Looking at different models, it’s hard to tell whether or not those glow as well.

Is there any way to disable the LEDs without needing to use Windows for the included software? (Wine, maybe?) And if not, will changing the setting through Windows make it stay off permanently, or will it simply reset after turning off the computer?

If this can’t be done, I may need to settle for NVidia. (The reason I want an AMD card is mainly for 10-bit color display support.)

I don’t know because my card is old enough that i missed the RGB all the things.

LEDs wont generate any noticeable heat.

Or you could just unplug the cable from the PCB to disable the LEDs :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Wouldn’t that void my warranty?

for just unplugging a cable it shouldn’t, you can even get it without removing the shroud just as long as you put it back in before sending it for warranty.

1 Like

Really? Go look up how many watts they (the LEDs) consume…

You know even NVidia founders edition have LEDs on them yeah?

RX470/480 reference has no LEDs. RX550 ASrock has no LEDs.

best bet is a reference card or a cheaper model from xfx/sapphire

Could get the RX 580 Pulse, has no LEDs at all while looking very much like the Nitro.