Large monitor for Productivity/Gaming

Howdy,

I’m looking at upgrading my home computer soon. I mostly do software development (incl. docker/virtualization), but play games once in a while (World of Warcraft, Diablo, Divinity Original Sin, Path of Exile, and planning Borderlands 3/Halo MCC). The new computer I’m looking at would be along the lines of an 3950X + RTX 2080 Super (waiting on next threadripper before deciding).

At work I have a Dell P4317Q which I adore. I was considering one for home or perhaps an LG 43UD79-B, but I’m not certain how well either of these monitors would perform in gaming. Plus, I’ve been wanting a high-refresh rate monitor for a while and wouldn’t mind other features like HDR/Adaptive Sync.

It seems like the Asus ROG Strix XG438Q would be the best of both worlds. However, after watching Wendell’s review I’m not certain about this monitor anymore. Something like the Asus ROG Strix XG35VQ or LG 34GK950F-B would be easier to drive and is almost half the cost. The size/resolution also puts it roughly inline with the same PPI.

Given even an RTX 2080 TI could struggle pushing 4k at >60FPS at high settings, maybe a UWQHD makes more sense for gaming? It also doesn’t look like 4k 120Hz monitors are really ready for prime time.

Thoughts? Are there any other monitors in these price ranges that would be good for a mix of productivity, video content (youtube/anime), and gaming?

Love,
-robodude666

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.