Return to Level1Techs.com

Laptop severely throttling [Solved]

So my parents have a Dell Inspiron 15 laptop, and it seems to be stuck running with heavily reduced clock speed, constantly at 499 MHz (it has an in i3-5005U with a base speed of 2 GHz, and iGPU is throttling too).

When the laptop is turned on or woken from sleep it runs at fullspeed for a short period of time before clocking down. I’m using HWMonitor to check temps and it’s still clocked down at 50°C and has a max of only 60°.

I have attempted changing the advanced power settings, buying a new charging cord, running a bootable Mint USB, resetting the CMOS, and always experience the same issue.

0 Likes

50 C seems hot to me. I’d blow out the CPU cooler. I replaced mine on different hardware and it made a big difference.

2 Likes

I’m used to hardware throttling around ~80°C so I didn’t think this was the case. I also checked HWInfo64 and the sensors tab say the thermal throttling flags are off.

I also had the impression that thermal throttling would be somewhat intermittent? This system refuses to increase clocks after it throttles, until it wakes up from sleep or power off.

0 Likes

TJunction for that chip is 105°C so must be something dell has done. Power options might need to be changed.

Also its only a 15W TDP chip so its probably time to pull it apart and clean plus repaste.

1 Like

After some temperature monitoring, there didn’t seem to be much consistency in when it throttled, but I did end up finding PROCHOT was tripping (even though it was nowhere near the 101 degrees C that PROCHOT was configured to), and that I could disable that using Throttlestop. A little hacky of a solution to run it every boot and lose that protection, but at least it’s usable.

0 Likes