Laptop idle temps - Should I worry?

Okay, so I have a new laptop that I mostly use for coding and development work, however, I have a slight issue, or more of a worry than an actual issue, it idles at around 50°C. I'm used to having my desktop idle around half that, should I worry, I know that the cooling solutions in laptops aren't that great to be fair, but 50°C just seems a little high to me.

I'm not having any issues with my laptop, it's only the CPU that's hitting 50°C most of the time, and the storage drives are around the expected temp of 20°C - 30°C. I actually love this laptop, it's actually incredibly fast, it's faster than what I was expecting it to be.

But should I expect my CPU to burn out some times soon, 50°C just seems really high for an idle temperature.

Also I thought this would be worth noting, the laptop hits 50°C - 60°C when it's sat In my desk, with something underneath it to increase the amount of air that can get to it. It's not like I'm blocking the exhaust/intake with clothing or something else, if anything it's getting more air than normal.

Anyone have any advice? Laptop cooler maybe?

its fine laptop cooling is shit

laptop cooler pads are a waste of money unless the laptop has intake vents on the bottom

If you are really concerned look up the thermal limit of the cpu model that is in the laptop.

1 Like

Well good thing that the vents are on the bottom, I guess I could always try a cheap laptop cooler, if it's not any good, no big deal, not a huge waste of money or anything.

But that is probably the best thing I can do to keep my mind at ease, look up the heat limit on the CPU. Thanks for that little tip! :)

How old is it?
Can it be taken apart to clean it out? (If it is an Acer, you are screwd as they have the worst cooling possible)

One thing that will help is lifting it of the desk. I have been pretty happy with this one.

My laptop sat around 43-50c and it's a core2duo, don't recall the exact number. I'm pretty sure you're good. One way you can check what the max temp the CPU can reach is download a program called "Core Temp". Shows a lot of information.

1 Like

MOST laptops have a thermal shutoff that works pretty well. if it starts shutting off randomly, id tear it down and take a loot at the heat sink and fan. if you want to help it out, elevate it a bit so that heat does not build up around the bottom

1 Like

Also don't leave it on the bed. Seems like common knowledge but you will not believe the amount of people that do it.

2 Likes

It's new, like this year sorta thing! :')

But no, it's not an Acer and it is ever so slightly lifted off the desk by 4 coasters under each rubber foot on the bottom of the laptop!

is it an HP? I have heard those things cause global warming

3 Likes

Yeah I know not to do that, don't worry, I'm doing computer science in university, I have enough knowledge of how computers work and enough common sense to not do that! ;)

I mean even if I wasn't doing a degree in computer science, personally, I'd still say I have enough sense to not put my laptop on my bed, I hardly ever even put it directly on my lap, just because of clothing blocking the vents.

Not a HP either and you're right, I have got an older HP laptop, that thing would freaking burn my leg if I actually placed it on my lap, no joke, the VGA port would burn to touch. Could've cooked myself a full dinner on that thing, but I installed Linux on that laptop, and it's now running like 30% cooler, no word of a lie.

try to unplug it and see if those temps go down, if it goes down a lot, you may have a faulty charging block. also, I would not trust monitoring software too much. ... HWmon thinks my TMPIN2 is minus 111C as I type.

My laptop has an i5-5200U, idle temps as of right now are at ~39°C (room temp at ~25°C and desktop PC now sits at ~36°C). I have it raised from the surface with a wireframe by about 4cm so air gets easier to the bottom vents.

When purchasing a cooling pad look at the position of the fans to make sure they don't mostly blow on solid plastic, but on the vents.

That's not a bad idea, I'll try that right away, and I don't feel so worried about the temps right now, simply due to the fact that under load it didn't get past 64°C.

I'd make sure that the vents are actually getting the air rather than a solid plastic part! :)

HP laptops have one plus point: You can remove the keyboard to get easy access and clean it!
With Samsung, Lenovo, Acer and Toshiba my experience ends at the point where I have every screw removed, removed the drives and opend every access hatch just to notice: This thing is held together by:
1) liquefied Chuck Norris
2) Magical plastic hookes of "you shall not pass"-strength

1 Like

might be specific to your model, Toshiba is my personal favorite. every laptop I ever had allowed you to simply pull the keyboard off save for 3-6 screws. as far as cleaning the heat sink and fan thoroughly, all of them have to be torn down. most laptops must have the keyboard removed and the screws underside removed. Most models also have Youtube vids for tear down and re assembly.

1 Like