Laptop help

I’ve recently accepted a new role ( software / devops engineer ), the company is letting me choose my own laptop. I’ve been using Macbooks for the last 3/4 years but would love to have a Linux machine as my daily driver.
I’m leaning towards Dell xpx 15 as I had one a few years ago and it played very nicely with Fedora, however I’d prefer to have a Ryzen machine which Dell doesn’t offer.

Could anyone help me out with some recommendations?

Highly recommend going with a non-nvidia Intel machine for a work laptop.

You don’t want to spend time messing with the laptop when you should be working, so despite amd getting better, an Intel machine is going to be your best choice for driver support.

4 Likes

Ahh ok, I can live with intel. Maybe xps or thinkpad then…

The big problem here is I can’t complain about whichever I choose and complaining about my work machine is one of my favorite hobbies.

1 Like

I second @SgtAwesomesauce, of going intel.

but if you still want to consider AMD, System76 has some good options like the Pangolin

Highly recommend against the thinkpad P1. Thunderbolt display out is routed through the nvidia GPU only, so I cannot disable it to increase my battery life when going mobile without restarting.

If you’re not supposed to complain, go system76 or xps.

Also, in terms of distro choice, check compatibility with your company’s tools. If they use some proprietary VPN, you might need a very specific distro and version.

1 Like

The MSI “modern” laptop series looks pretty decent if you don’t need a dedicated GPU
Ram and SSD are replaceable

Think I’ve settled on Thinkpad x1 carbon gen 9. intel, no nvidia gpu, can come pre loaded with ubuntu…