Laptop CPU multi locked at miminum speed

Hello.

I’m having trouble solving an issue with a ASUS FX503 laptop, the cpu multiplier is stuck at its minimum value (x8), it’s an Intel i5 7300HQ. It causes the maximum speed to be 800mhz at all times. I’ve tried reinstalling Windows 10, disconnecting the battery, resetting the BIOS, no luck. It works fine with the battery disconnected, only with the power cable but as soon as I connect the battery it sets itself back at minimum speed.
The BIOS is pretty basic and no cpu or power settings available.
I presume that some power saving flag got activated and it failed to reset itself to normal.

If anyone has come across anything similar or has any ideas I appreciate it.
All the best to everyone.

I have seen a few different trouble shooting things you might not have tried.

Disconnect the battery for up to 5 min

Press the power button for 15-20 sec while the battery is disconnected

Fully drain the battery so the entire system shuts down, not usually recommended but was shown as a solution for a similar issue

Try Throttle Stop to see if BD-PROCHOT is enabled?

1 Like

Install Intel XTU and see what you can adjust that way.

1 Like

Thank you Adubs, I did not think of Intel XTU, and it did gave me a better insight to the issue. It reports thermal throttling to be enabled, temperatures were at a maximum of 49ºC, when I disable BD-PROCHOT in ThrottleStop (thank you n3tizen for the suggestion) it disables thermal throttling but enables PowerLimit throttling at 4/5W only, keeping the cpu locked at very low speeds.

Last I had one the HQ sku CPUs could be configured for power limits in XTU, but that was haswell.

Try this? But be aware that if it does work to remove the power limits you will probably need/want to repaste your CPU/GPU as a precaution.

Could be Windows - check advanced power options, make sure max processor state is set to 100%.

Other than that, all I can think of is some BIOS/hardware error locking it at minimum when the battery is in. Maybe Throttlestop/XTU can unlock it again, like others said.

Power is being capped at around 4 / 5 W which is about 10% of the total power limit of 45W of the cpu. I’m not sure there is much to be gained by messing with those at this point but I will try to make sure. Thanks.

I don’t think it is Windows. I do believe is a firmware issue because when I reflashed the BIOS it did return to normal briefly, for a few minutes it was working as intended. Sadly it did return to heavy throttling shortly after once again.

Thank you.