Laptop advice and suggestions

I've got a laptop here that has an AMD A8 quad core in it with the 1 gb integrated graphics. bought this thing a couple years ago for like 500 bucks from Walmart. 8 gb of ram too. This is the exact model i own

Should i drop an SSD in this thing, in the hopes for some snappier performance, or should i just sell this thing off for something like a new system that has a good Intel chip in it?

The reason i ask is i like using this thing for Photoshop and video editing on it, and it does okay with it. Anybody got any suggestions for a decent laptop for pretty cheap? doesn't have to be a world beater, just better than what i have now.

Just curious what is out there, and curious as to what your suggestions might be for a ballin on a budget laptop would be.

um..

hard to say actually lol, currently have a power binned a10 which has done me pretty well but its aging now(is trinity a10-4655m)

but would say might be worth waiting actually given the whole zen/ryzen stuff, the upcoming ravenridge apus, which rumors are saying will be quad with the smt on the desktop, if we look at previous amd apus, they seem to just be the exact desktop dies but at lower clock.. and they've shipped quad laptops since around phenom2 so wouldnt be anything new for them to ship quads, but 4c/8t would be pretty new for them, and possibly at a reasonable pricepoint

that even if it was clocked like 2-2.4 should tear them dual core chips a new one in any kind of multi threaded stuff..

so might be worth waiting to see what all happens with that.

but if you get a ssd you could always carry it over and put the hdd back to sell the old laptop

might be an option to look into one of those dvdrom to 2.5" sata things like

which would let you not have to reinstall windows(so you'd lose out boot time) but youd have less fuss messing with stuff if you sell later or migrating the drive, and just put photoshop/video editing stuff, and use it for holding the temp files for video/photo editing.

otherwise no idea not been following laptops lol

1 Like