Landline phone for taking voice messages

Good day everyone!

So my BIL is getting married next year. I have been tasked with a few things but one of them is that they would like to have a landline phone like this:

People at the wedding can pick up the phone and leave a “voicemail” for the happy couple to listen to later rather than a traditional guestbook.

Telephony is a bit outside my experience but I am sure it is something that can be solved with a Pi or a thin client, I just don’t know what the best way to go about it would be. Ideally when it is picked up it would play a message like an answering machine then it just records to a local file server running on a Pi and I can go back through them after the wedding and just label the soundbites with the names of the “callers”.

Any ideas?

i would honestly avoid doing any telephoney things for this. The handset is just a speaker and i microphone, then you could wire the lift switch to be a keypress, like spacebar. and then just run a audio recording app that pauses and unpauses via the spacebar key.

2 Likes

That might be a much better idea. Seems much simpler for sure.

So I guess if I went that route I would need to just figure out some kind of recording software and figure out the best way to wire the handset hardware into the recording server.

the handset can be connected to a 3.5mm audio jack.
and instead of a lift button just get a usb number pad and set the 0 key to the software. place a sticky note that sayd ‘press 0 to start and stop message.’

windows media player or audacity or any audio software would be good enough probably

3 Likes

someone will turn the dial and I dont really know what the appropriate response would be. Also the dial seems to be a bit tricky to attach to a sensor of sorts. Maybe you could extend the “axle” of the dial and attach a wheel that will interact with a mousewheel or something but then you could only bind it to mousewheel movement and its return movement.

Hey, I’m not sure if you’re up to the challenge, but I came across this video today:

Seems like his project does everything you wanted. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey that looks awesome! Thank you for posting.

1 Like

No problem. I stumbled across it the while browsing the PJRC blog and thought: “Hey, that seems familiar.” :smiley:

1 Like