L1Techs HDMI 2.1 KVM & Stream Deck troubleshooting

Hello!

Just received my new KVM today but I’m having an issue. When I plug in my Stream Deck (HID compliant device) into an HID port on the KVM it is not recognized. If I move the cable to a non-HID port it works. I’m wanting to use the Stream Deck to switch computers in the KVM so unless it connected to an HID port it will not work (as far as I understand). Any thoughts? How should I go about troubleshooting the issue?

Are you using the Steam Deck with a dock?

What do you mean?

Sorry, typo. I reworded that sentence. :slight_smile:

I read your comment on the other thread- to clarify, does the keyboard type/function in the HID ports at all? Or are you just having trouble with the shortcuts not working?

Also, are you using the Steam Deck with a dock and external keyboard? Or are you trying to use the shortcuts on the Steam Deck’s built-in virtual keyboard?

I read your comment on the other thread- to clarify, does the keyboard type/function in the HID ports at all? Or are you just having trouble with the shortcuts not working?

The keyboard types but the shortcuts are not working.

Also, are you using the Steam Deck with a dock and external keyboard? Or are you trying to use the shortcuts on the Steam Deck’s built-in virtual keyboard?

No, the Stream Deck is plugged directly into an HID port on the back of the KVM and I’m using the keyboard that is connected to the KVM. I’m wanting to create shortcuts within the Stream Deck that will trigger the KVM to switch between computers. I’ve included a picture of my current topology.

Ooooooooh Elgato Stream Deck. Ok. I misread your post and thought you meant the Steam Deck. That makes much more sense lol sorry for the confusion.

I found this Reddit post, have you tried this?
https://www.reddit.com/r/ElgatoGaming/comments/ath450/comment/j9in6xm/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Their steps were:

• Open “Device and Printers”

• Scroll down to Unspecified

• Click on Stream Deck

• Click on Hardware tab

• The HID-Compliant consumer control device was inactive, double click that.

• Go into Change settings (with admin symbol next to it)

• Click enable

I built a custom “remote” switcher device a couple years ago for my kvm. It’s been solid, but in writing the firmware, I found a lot out about the HID compliance requirements and how the kvm and other devices work.

Let me drop my knowledge.

Lots of HID devices that have more advanced software configuration interfaces aren’t actually HID compliant. The stream deck is probably one of those.

You have to be very careful when configuring the HID flags and basically any additional features make the KVM say “I don’t know what this is, I’ll just run it in pass through mode”

I tried and failed to get a stream deck working with the kvm in past, ran into the same issues you are, and just decided to build my own pad for it.

In case you’re curious about my device, here’s the GitHub repo which includes BOM, code and all the 3d models needed to make your own.

1 Like

When I connect the Stream Deck and I look under “Unspecified” mine says “Unknown USB Device (Invalid Configuration Description)” and I do not get “The HID-Compliant consumer control device was inactive” option. If I click on “Unknown USB Device” I get what you see in the dialog box below.

2024-03-12_18-38-26

2024-03-12_18-42-57

How about the keyboard issue? Everything appears to work when plugged into the HID port but the hotkeys for the KVM. Any idea how I should approach troubleshooting that? If I could get the keyboard working I wouldn’t need to deal with the Stream Deck. Thanks for all the help! :slight_smile:

Thanks so much for responding and the info. I really wish it would have worked. I’ll check out your project. Thanks again!

1 Like

Wait a sec. If it needs a driver, by definition it cannot be hid compatible.

The stream deck does not send “normal” keystrokes. It tells windows to press keys from a virtual keyboard. The pressing of keys happens inside a driver in windows, not from hardware that looks like a keyboard inside the stream deck. The kvm has no way to sense that this is happening as this is happening in the windows computer. it’s a not keyboard from the PoV of the kvm because it isn’t remotely even a little bit hid.

There’s a macroboard and some projects on here to make little 4-key QMK-based macroboards that’ll do what you want. Those are hid compliant.

If you just want a quickie macro board the falcon rgb8 is known to work for this purpose too.

Ahh, makes total sense.

Any idea why the keyboard I’m using (Keychron Q1 Pro) will allow me to type without issue but the keyboard shortcuts to change computers don’t? As far as I can tell, the keyboard is HID complaint. Also, I have it connected to an HID port on the KVM.

nkey rollover, the keys come from different “virtual” keyboards. Flip to 6kro and it’ll be fine. Alternately theres another thread on here about QMK and QMK can be set NOT to send kvm leading codes and shortcut keys from different virtual hid endpoints, so you keep nkro and the kvm shortcuts work just fine. If that keyboard offers that level of customization, all you gotta do is set scroll lock to come from the default hid endpoint as 1-4 and you’re all set.

That did it. I’m able to control the KVM via my keyboard now. Thank you both for the help! :slight_smile:

1 Like