L1T KVM does not display Macbook Pro (2019 Intel and 2021 Apple Silicon)

Hey. I recently purchased a Level1Techs KVM (1.4 Display Port - Dual Monitor - Two Computer). My PC works just fine with it, but I get no signals to my monitors from either my 2019 Intel or 2021 M1 Pro laptops. I used both HDMI to DP and USB-C to DP, the latter of which generated some lag on my 2019 but still did not work. Neither laptop even recognizes that any displays are connected. The laptops both work with the displays using a direct connection (no KVM in the middle).

Is there a setting that needs to be changed to make these work?

As others will attest that config definitely works but not all adapters assume they will have to push signal trhough a kvm and a whole other cable. The display invoved also makes a difference.

Can you tell us the display and specific adapters you are using? Moshi is known to work well on the usbc to dp side.

Have you rebooted the mac? Often whwn there is display issues apple sort of stops trying after a while…

Hi wendel, thanks for the reply.

This setup is using 2x SAMSUNG SR35 Series 27 inch

I was given 2x CableCreation 8K Bi-Directional DisplayPort to USB C Cable to use in the setup.

Can you check the samsung osd to see if there is an eco mode you can disable? Are there any options for displayport mode you could try? E.g. toggle dp1.2 to help diagnose the problem.

I had one other report of csble creation usbc cables not beiing to spec so those are suspect. Are they direct attach to the laptop or via some sort of dock?

There is an eco mode, but it’s disabled. No options for a display port mode that I can find. Do the monitors need to have a display port? Currently there are DP to HDMI wire between the KVM and monitors.

These are direct attach to the laptop. I may switch these out for the moshi if that seems to give a consistent result.

well, moshi is usually usbc to DP not hdmi, can you take a pic of the hdmi adapters?? usually those have to be usb powered to work with a kvm

So these are the cables running from the KVM to the monitors (image at the end of the post):
Warrky 4K DisplayPort to HDMI Cable Adapter 6FT, [Aluminum Shell, Nylon Braided] High Speed (1440P 60Hz, 1080P 120Hz) Uni-Directional DP to HDMI Cord Compatible for Dell, HP, Insignia, Samsung

The source for these is from the DP and output is at HDMI (which is plugged into the monitor). They work fine sending signal to the monitors from the KVM when my PC is in use.

I just got back in town yesterday and I tried the Moshi USB-C to DP to connect the macbook to the KVM, but still nothing…

Moshi USB C to DisplayPort Cable 1.5m/5ft, Support 5K@60 Hz, 4K HDR, VESA Certified, Aluminum Housing, Thunderbolt 3 Compatible

These products are the amazon product names, so if you needed to look them up you should be able to just pop them into their search

Usbc direct from mac via moshi into the kvm is definitely a known good configuration. Can you reboot the mac and the kvm? Unplug the kvm for a solid minute?

Just tried. Still nothing, sadly… I’d say this is probably a dud KVM and get a replacement, but my PC works just fine with it.

yeah, you can email me wendell at level1techs.com and mail it in for further testing, but its probably something else insane on the mac side. have you tried the other usbc ports on the mac?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.