L1's Garage

It definitely is and one of the biggest problems is we could totally have a better power grid, but it’s so surrounded in the regulatory for some good reasons and some bad. One of the biggest things we could have done is transitioned to nuclear earlier but we never did. There’s a ton of nuance to that story that’s not even worth getting into but I genuinely think that to move forward with technology, automation etc we are going to have to start doing quite difficult things that may not be useful to measure in monetary value

I have hope that we will get to some sort of compromise here but one thing that is very discouraging is look how well this worked out with the ISPs? We couldn’t even classify them as a utility because everyone started screaming free market in this country. Internet should be a utility because it’s generally considered a necessity, particularly in a world that has transition partially to working from home. It should be the same thing if electric cars really do become synonymous with all homes. I don’t think they should because we should be investing in other forms of transportation as well. But the bottom line is if everyone has an electric car does that not make it a utility?

I’m sure musk would not like to hear the words of classify Tesla as a utility :joy: but it would be interesting to make basic infrastructure such as roads, cars, the electric power grid and internet a utility

I think in order to reasonably do that though, we need to have some sort of garbage collection with our laws. When laws no longer makes sense, we need to be able to remove them and the United States has this critical problem of continuously building up old laws over and over again and only revamping new laws to further edit the old laws. I feel like it’s going to send us into a stagnation of sorts. Eventually we’re going to build so much up. It’s going to be like tech debt except in this case with laws and government and regulation

Shit like this is just stupid

Wife’s car has been having serially dead batteries. Replaced the battery after the first time (battery was almost 10 years old anyways so I didn’t mind putting a new one in). Next week her car died again so I meet her in the parking lot she pulled into with my jump cables and a multimeter. Started the car and then check the voltage and it was only showing 12.3v. I pushed the exciter plug into the alternator some more and all of the sudden it started charging. Finally got around to replacing it today and boy it was time.

Now getting 14.3v at the cigarette plug in the cabin.

6 Likes

This makes me wish the gr86 had a toyota engine inside

5 Likes

Don’t forget the exciter/regulator has brushes that wear out too. I had a crossfire that at ~70k miles the brushes ran out and the alternator stopped working.

1 Like

Already replaced the brushes 2 years ago but good looking out.

oof

looks munched

also done my fair share of exciter plug looking

1 Like

Now if it just looked a little bit better. :slight_smile:

1 Like

2 Likes

Rotary gnerator??

Dear gearheads, I need to make a decision and I hope for any input.

The WANT

I want to fit larger rims on my Skoda Octavia wagon.
I want to go from 16" steel rims to 17" aluminum.

How to get there

Just buy 17" rims, right?
If I buy 17" rims, I will need to sell my, “worn” for half a season, R16 summer tires. The winter ones are going to be discarded either way after this season.

The dilemma

Should I buy R17 summer tires and later on R16 winter tires
OR
should I buy R17 CrossClimate 2?

Background information

I live in Poland, I rarely see snow, but when it snows, it SNOWS.

If you don’t want to change every summer and winter this is the way to go and this is cheaper

Plus they have great summer feel

1 Like

Now THAT

Is a gorgeous red

Don’t mind me, just enjoying cheap transportation

5 Likes

You wanna know something that’s gonna let me cheat with EVs. For the time being I’m in an apartment and they don’t meter my garage electricity :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Haha that’s pretty good lol

1 Like

Yeah plus it’s free charging at the university. Man there are so many killer ways to reduce the cost of charging rn and people are just plain missing out…

My neighbor does that with their Model 3 lol.

Just on a routine trip to Idaho. No sign of spring at all and man, did these tires perform amazingly I’m doing 65 mph in this and it’s like it’s dry pavement

@Zszywany I am stunned seriously, I may never need to go get a winter tire unless I live in Canada

3 Likes

I think I‘m sold.

1 Like