L1's Garage

That’s why you do what @TeckMonster does. Get a Nissan Leaf on the side.

2 Likes

I rode with a friend in Japan who owns a Nissan Leaf. She had a stack of blankets in the car because she said the range of the car dropped through the floor if she turned the heater on. (this was in January)

“Are you sure you don’t need one?”
“Yes, I’m fine. I have fleece-lined trousers.”

Every 5 minutes.

Needless to say, I didn’t mind the cold (it gets way colder in NH) but never before have I been more convinced that I will never buy a particular car.

2 Likes

OK. That’s fair. Never actually knew about that.

Being the most sold car here it does fine. The new model ditches the PTC heater for a heat pump which is way more efficient. The trick is also to use the seat heaters, heat your body not the entire cabin. Even in minus 20C my dad’s '13 leaf still manages 100km which is enough for most daily duties.

1 Like

I’d have 6.5 km left on the charge with that car on my commute. I’m not sure if I could get to the nearest grocery store and back on that.

Is it minus 20 though? Cause normally it gets 140-150km.

Where you at?

I have a ~40km daily commute, assuming I go nowhere but to and from work. My Civic with a full tank of gas has a range of 800km. Electric vehicles just aren’t practical here.

Norway. Yeah we have charging points at most malls and many gas stations here which makes it easy.

Oh that’s nice. Are the charge points free for you?

They’re doing this odd phenomenon now where electric car charge ports are closer than handicap spots and are free to charge your car from. Not sure how they’re paying for it, but I’m assume it’s built into the price of services, so I end up footing the bill.

Many are free, fast chargers are usually paid, but it’s very cheap.

My guess is that it’s probably subsidized. Not related, but the solar industry would not exist where I am were it not for the government giving you bucketloads of other people’s cash to do it.

1 Like

Yeah. I’m not sure how I feel about building the cost of charging some peoples cars into the cost of all goods. I can’t take advantage of it (yet) and so I don’t want to pay into it. Primarily because it’s not a necessity so much as a nice to have.

One of these days, I’m gonna park my Yukon there with the weight limit of batteries in it, charge them up and bring them home. Take that big electric!

-20C was pretty common when I started my commute in the morning this past winter. Hit -30C a couple times.

1 Like

Fixed the brake lights with just under $9 in lights and about 5 minutes of time.

I honestly thought it was going to be worse.

1 Like

S10 manual swap update:
Transmission is in.

I need to trim the carpet around the shifter a little more.

Getting close, just need to install the transfer case, exhaust, transmission crossmember, drive shafts, and finish up the little bit I have left in the interior.

3 Likes

Looking good, wish I had the tools and skills to do a manual swap.

A bit off topic but I’m working on the boat engine, good old two stroke.

4 Likes

I got clutch baskets for days now. Another with sheared posts of/c not shown there. The clutch of this thing has given me so much trouble. It was indeed burnt to shit. So, once I get this outer clutch basket back in there, I am going to try and see if I can salvage my first original clutch. It had shrapnel all throughout it from the wreck, but it might be useable. I tried to bang on the replacement going from a salvage bike being in good shape (Clutch came with it, what I really needed was the baskets), but that clutch is just as worn as the burnt one I have. Im already 500$ deep in clutches for this dumb thing lolol. I just want to go vtecing down the road again.

On another note, I pick up my 1981 Yamaha XJ550 again from being stranded in Michigan this weekend. Depending on what shape that thing it in now, I might do a full rebuild. So if you are interested in that, I can log some of what I do there. Lots to learn in the process for me.

2 Likes

Listed my old straight pipe off my 06 wrx for $300 on my local subaru club page… wonder if anyone will bite?
I’m not being too greedy am I?

If it was new or slightly used and the size was good I’d say $300 would be reasonable in my area. Dents, dings, and rust will drop the value a little, as will any poor craftmanship.

Not sure what the prices are like in your neck of the woods though.

Used in good shape is usually 450-500 so I went down a bit because it needs repaired. It’s just really hard to gauge though