L1's Garage

Oh my god that was funnier than Iwanted it to be

1 Like

Of course climate does matter.
But Mazda never really heard about proper rust prevention i think.
Also the paint jobs are generally poorly and very thin because of cost savings.

One good thing about Mazda’s are their skyactive petrol engines,
which are pretty good.
But yeah only 120HP on a 2.0 16V petrol engine there isn’t much that could go wrong with that.
Those Skyactive 2.2 diesel engines are trash haha. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No Honda z20? Or z24?

Boost is ??? Turbo or super?

1 Like

I can think of one thing wrong with it already it doesn’t have enough horsepower :wink:

1 Like

I think the existing turbo is still good, so I’m just gonna keep it.

Even if the bearings are shot from the detonation, I’m gonna just rebuild it, that’s cheaper than buying another kit.

2 Likes

Honestly dude I am not a fan of super chargers I never have been

I love the efficiency of the turbo using existing energy that’s already wasted to make more power

I would just rebuild the turbo put a better wheel in it I don’t know if you can upgrade the bearings… wrap the exhaust headers going to it and out of it might improve some Scavenging

1 Like

Yeah but, that does make them bullet proof pretty much which is good.

The only complaints i read allot on forum´s are in regards to bad paint jobs.
And yeah the rust issues is still a thing even on 2014 models.
Although Fords from that era are also suffering from it.
Which isn´t really strange given Fords and Mazda´s alliance.

1 Like

Superchargers are nice if you’re looking for something that’s going to be very measurable.

Turbos are way more complicated. So if you want reliability, SC is going to be better.

3 Likes

Inb4 you balls to the wall… Fucking twincharge it

1 Like

But yeah Mazda’s are still very reliable even today,
except for their diesel engines.
But i don’t think they even sell diesels anymore at least not up here.

2 Likes

Mazda’s yes. Fords no.

They shared some problems in common but contrary to popular belief ford did not just plop in the L engine. They modified it quite heavily into the duratec … Where some of their mods turned out to be useful and reliable

If you disassemble both engines very little parts are actually compatible and Ford also experimented much earlier than Mazda was very high compression ratios for the time we are ranging from 10 to 1 to 12 to 1… Mazda stuck with their tried-and-true 8 or 8.5 to 1 at that same time… given that they shared the same bore when we talked about the L 2.0 and the duratec 2.0… you can imagine this man a different crankshaft with different balancing… different pistons and everything associated with it… the 2.0 eventually turned into Mazda skyactiv engine in which they turbocharged it… The duratec 2.0 turned into the ecoboost. That’s really the history of the 2.0

But sarge is talking about boosting it so we can erase bulletproof from the bored and place in it… Fun go brrrr

1 Like

No. I don’t need that.

This turbo is good for 600hp alone.

No need for more than that, really.

But I’m probably going to keep it around 300. Otherwise I’ll have to get into transmission swaps and adapter plates. And I’ve never driven a car with as good of a transmission as the Miata, so I’d like to keep it, even if it means I don’t get stupid power.

1 Like

I hope you get a really really well done E85 tune as we spoke earlier

Yes you won’t get the best gas mileage but it’s also cheaper… it smells wonderful I don’t know if you’ve ever smelled the exhaust of a boosted E85 vehicle… it literally smells like hand sanitizer

And the power is ridiculous and you really don’t have to worry about water injection which is nice so it’s basically free Power except for the tune

2 Likes

The 2.0 Skyactive-G engine is a high compression 2.0 16V NA engine.

Idk what engine is in the newer Miata’s.
And what kind of tuning you could do to those.
I believe the newer Miata´s share the same platform as the Fiat spiders.

1 Like

E85 is freaking wonderful.

There’s only one gas station near me that sells it though. I might have to get a 55gal drum or something to fill up the yata.

1 Like

that sucks. Thought cali was big on Ethanol?

1 Like

No, cali is big on stupid shit.

They might talk a big game, but when it comes to supporting ethanol, the station map speaks for itself.

1 Like

Oh, apparently I just live in a fucking E85 desert.

Fucking retards.

3 Likes

they are trying to create HCCI… which is interesting but has a long way to go

Personally I adore high compression ratio engines they are challenging to work with. but If I could get a 14:1 and use E85 (105 Octane MON+RON/2) (in european rating thats 118 octane) exclusively I trully would LOL

1 Like

Is any of it red leaning because republicans hate E85 for some reason. When Im like guys I know its not always carbon neutral or the best mileage but FFS it means less reliance on both middle eastern oil… south america… and Canada… its a domestic fuel

1 Like