L1's Garage

Had to do my sister water pump in her Pontiac at 75K. Damn thing was leaking.
Wasn’t to bad just a bit tight. Fucking spark plugs were a bitch since the V6 was transversely mounted. Had about two fingers space from the top or give it a reach around with your arm up to to your elbow going behind the engine.

Never had to do one on my focus yet… timing chain hasnt stretched and no leaks minus a very slightly rear main seal leak at 400K LOL

Are they a PITA?

Yeah seals on chain driven OHC always go out haha.
I would not know tbh. I have seen some videos on replacing timing chains which don’t seem too bad but look time consuming.
Honestly the chains should be good for the life of the engine unless you decide to start putting mods and pushing over the stock power numbers.

1 Like

Thats fair… yeah im just worried about it at this mileage haha… this thing has got me through HS… through college… got my fam through europe for a bit…

gotten me everywhere around the US and is basically paying for my future car haha

Also that was funny shit …fiat for sure isnt doing very well at all

1 Like

I kinda disagree on that depending on which particular engines.
Fiat engines are not really bad at all.
It’s just their new electronic valve system called multi air,
that had some serious quirks in the beginning.

The older Fiat fire and T-jet engines are pretty reliable.
But those also don´t have the multiair system.

The jtd diesel engines are also really decent as well,
except for the 1.3jtdm downsized diesel.
But that is kinda logical, cause all downsized diesel engines are rubbish.

The only trully bad petrol engines Fiat / Alfa ever had,
were the ones made by General motors lol.

The 1.4Tjet engines is great, especially in the Mito 155HP,
or the Grande punto Abbarth with 180HP.
But 200HP on the stock engine is also no a problem at all.

I need a larger set of swaybars.

Thats literally all thats currently in the United States is the EVS based engines. Their diesels are just not doing well at all and their engines in the (not a true 500) Fiat 500 are falling apart pretty early. Im thinking its probably due to the financial burden they took on coming to the United States (theory).

As it happens in their large v6 diesel that isnt going very well. Smaller diesels are probably a better bet anyway. If they can market that and it can be reliable they might have great success in the US market… Someone at FIAT hire me. Ill make it happen :rofl:

Its ironic how the tides are turning. Where now fiat owns chrysler and dodge and its not the fiat engines making the dodge and chryslers really bad. IDK whats up … Hopefully they figure it out or maybe do some electrification or hybrids… either way they are gonna have to do something different in the US market. Seems the only good FIATs are in the EU market

Really liking the sew on steering wheel cover, feels great. Thanks for the rec @SoulFallen

I did it a little haphazardly but it isn’t going anywhere.

5 Likes

idk about the V6 diesel.
However i have never really seen a decent 6 cylinder diesel from any brand tb except Mercedes.
Big four cylinder diesels generally seem to be more robust.
Funny thing with Nissan patrols the 2.8 straight 6 diesel,
was a pretty weak engine.
And we had allot of trouble with it in the past.
Thats probablly why the 3.0 diesel in the Nissan patrol was a 4 cylinder again :smiley:

Also the 2.7V6 diesel from PSA and 2.7 / 3.0tdi VAG arent that robust either.
I dont know why this is really, only Mercedes seems to be,
able to build a decent 6 cylinder diesel.

But yeah, Fiat had great diesels in the past.
Especially the 2.4 5 cylinder 10V and 20V jtd´s.
And currently the 1.9jtd, 2.0jtd and 2.2 jtd’s are still decent as well.
But of course when there is an issue with a modern diesel nowdays,
its generally due to additional stuff that is attatched to the engine for a cleaner envoirement.

Want some Cummins?

Also BMW.

1 Like

We don´t have those in Europe.
But i think when you add the envoirement restrictions to those as well.
Then those are likely going to be dramatical as well.

Diesels have become pretty unreliable,
not so much because of the engines them selfs.
but rather all the emision restrictions etc.

Well unfortunatelly the future doesn´t seem to be that bright,
when it comes to innovation yet.
They did show some promising concepts.
But according to some latest news, Alfa Romeo in particular,
does not have anything new plannend for very soon yet.

The Alfa Romeo Tonale concept had to be the replacement for the Giulietta.
The Tonale would be available as a hybrid.
However according to latest news, Alfa romeo has not anything,
in pipeline to be released soon.
This might have something to do with the failled fusion deal between FCA and Renault group but idk.

i recommended that thing a year ago, jesus.

2 Likes

it was low priority

I feel bad for everything in your life that isn’t high priority.

1 Like

that’s a lot things, still haven’t removed the parking sticker on the bumper from the previous owner

1 Like

My father told me most semi trucks have straight 6 engines, and I’ve personally seen a few with over 3 million miles on them, but I imagine that’s not really what you meant.

However the 6bt Cummins found in Dodge pickups are notorious for hitting a million miles without a rebuild. My favorite diesel engine right there. You can get a ridiculous amount of power out of them too… Of course at the cost of that reliability.

You’ll get it tomorrow :wink:

3 Likes

Damn straight

1 Like

Last I checked they are struggling with underwhelming sales numbers? Probably whats hitting them the hardest…

Cummins actually has a way around it. They no longer use post injection for their Regen. It’s now done with a 7th injector. The system is far more stable and less prone to clogging or damaging turbos…

Cummins has always been known for reliability