L1's Garage

Hit or miss tbch… Most volkswagen 4 cyl have higher emissions due to burning oil… Ford and Chevy and Volvo 4cyl have better emissions… but a lower HP per liter ratio there by are less power efficient… the 3 cyl has better efficiency when kept in its rev range but if you drive it like a race car yeah that might ding it a bit but not much

No shit, but when a 3cyl is making 200hp and a 4cyl is making 200hp, wherever in that rev range it is, the 4cyl is more efficient. (assuming 3cyl is a method to reduce overall displacement)

Yeah they actually did a comparison test vs a mazda 2.0 skyactive.
And the Mazda indeed turned out be better in terms of economy,
on highway longer travels.

Thats fair. As it happens though 1.0 liter 3 cyl does beat the 2.0 liter i4 haha

The skyactive is a difference beast though… its HCCI and SCCI. It has better efficiency than most of the engines period in its class… This is due to being closer to a diesel than a gas

Mazda calls all of their engines skyactive.

There isn’t a production HCCI engine in a road car yet.

Citation needed.

30 city/42 high are the numbers from the focus with it. The 2.0 liter just doesnt get those numbers rated. In actuality from driving experience if you do a google search youll find most people getting better MPG than rated on the 1 and hit or miss for better or worse with the 2.0 and 1.6…

The 2.0 is an extremely potent engine… The 1.6 does well in the fiesta. Ford has stopped producing cars in america though

Okay.

You’re not understanding me.

Do 5 dyno pulls with that 1.0 3cyl.

Do 5 dyno pulls with that 2.0 4cyl.

Measure hydrocarbons and other climate alarmist molecules. Measure fuel consumption.

Now, look at the graph. Which engine did more work?

Normalize the emissions and consumption against work.

Now you have a number you can actually use.

30 city/42 highway

That’s basically saying this:

If you don’t put it on boost, it’s gonna be real fucking efficient. However, we push 25psi of boost into this thing, so kiss your fuel economy goodbye when you’re trying to get somewhere quick.

As someone who likes to use the engine in all of it’s ranges (most efficient and most powerful) I’d much rather have a car that’s overall more efficient, not more peak efficient.

Correct I misunderstood what you mean…

Do we have anyone who has made this number id be curious to see. I see a lot of claims about it … nobody showing any really numbers or work. I think the 1 cylinder is cool but it needs to be in a smaller vehicles. I do have this question though. The 1.0 pulls far more boost in . More air… more fuel per displacement but does an ecoboost 2.0 not burn more fuel? I mean in the fiesta we can use most peoples experience with 1.0 being positive and some consistently getting 46-50 MPG neighborhood cruising vs Focus 2.0 getting about 38 … I mean come on that has to count for something. More fuel use is a given but the 3 cyl has a higher efficiency in terms of generating the power or so ford claimed

No, but I’ve seen anecdotal numbers myself. You get diminishing returns as you crank up boost on a car.

As you do so, you need to push the AFR more rich, to prevent oxygen reacting with the cylinder walls or pistons. A better fuel mix would also be a solution to this problem.

I’d love to get my hands on something like a VW up or something like a kei car. Just a nugget that I can whip around and not worry about fuel.

Oh wait, I just described a Chevy Spark. :confused:

I agree with this. I wont dispute that but the tech thats on the ecoboost does a ton to lower the amount of heat soak that occurs with the engine. It also scavenges the exhaust etc… lots of things they put into it to lower the cylinder wall temperature… more oil splashing on the pistons etc… Not sure if it all helps… redesigned water jackets too… To allow the mixture to lean out a bit more…

Also @SgtAwesomesauce direct injection helps with this situation… Last I examined it… direct injection allows the chamber to cool better… not sure if its still true… Also allows the mixture to be more lean

I cant believe im saying this but id take a used tesla model 3 a little ways down the road… Just because they are actually really fun. Not because oh electric save the earth etc or used model S … I just wonder how much does the battery cost go for

Makes a lot of claims

Nah dude, I really need a dashboard in front of me.

The model 3 is a dealbreaker because of that.

If the model s is anything to go by, he’s full of shit.

Im okay with the tablet. Im not okay with all the analytics… and I question its security…

Probably but I would be one of the few people on the forum that could diagnose electric motor issues and replace battery packs :wink:

I know one of the guys who was able to break into the linux box that’s running the car.

So, no.

It’s not secure.

Yeah, that’s fair.

I could probably do it too, I’m just nervous around that kind of current.

figures thats the problem I have with it…

Just dont make a path to ground and your chill… aka dont be stupid. You dont diagnose the motor via current pull etc. There are other signals that you concern yourself with. Most of the time though the motors last forever. electric motors are strong robust motherfuckers… its the batteries that are more of a worry

1 Like

Yeah well idk about all that downsize stuff.
I would eventually consider a smaler engine with a turbo.
But it hast to be atleast a 4 cilinder.

The 3cyl are just not smooth.

It’s really a “poor person” experience to drive a 3cyl

1 Like

Come on you know if fuel economy and money isnt an issue your totally a big displacement person :wink:

V8s and V12s are beautiful machines

Very unbalanced lol…

Also about the tesla. the thing that concerns me is that… No oil ports, factory-sealed pre-lubricated bearings are a thing and instead of you being able to annually lubricate them and keep them healthy… you have to rely on one fluid and one bearing lasting for ever

I know multiple people who’ve needed tesla motors replaced multiple times and they’ve only got like 120k on the damn cars.

It seems like they’re a common weak point in the car, judging by internet murmurs.