L1's Garage

Turbo a BRZ/FRS/GT86 and boom, fun car for (comparatively) not a lot of money.

1 Like

Exactly.

The older I get the more I appreciate OEM. I have a turbo’d 2jzge in the IS300 and a GTE in the garage to swap. My 5vz truck is supercharged- I get what you are saying, but damn it’s nice to have the army of OE engineers behind the build and tune + warranty if they came short. I guess I’m getting old…

After tuning AEM fics, megasquirts, greddy EMU, split second, talking deep with peeps that have haltech, motec etc. I have a huge appreciation of OE or at least retention of the ECU with just minor tweaks via a COBB.

Guarantee you a brz/frs that keeps up with this Vette all day will have just as much money in it as the Vette (assuming brz was bought new)- Fuel mods, kit, cutting, welding, suspension, EMS, tuning, BBK, breakage, replace, find the next week link, upgrade, on and on. Turbo kit being CARB you are paying over $5K for entry- then wait for clutch to die, always fear your trans will fail, rear diff, cv-axles etc. BBK over $3K, good coils, $2-3K, rims and tires to actually hold the power and cornering of getting into near super car league, another $2k. Gloat that the BRZ is still cheaper than the vette… still looks like a BRZ… When I was young I was all about “built not bought!!” but there are so many hack jobs out there where the car looks good modified, but now the suspension geometry makes it actually grip worse, random hesitation and engine issues, NVH up the wazoo, spills its guts from time to time, weird gremlins, and CHP sending you to the BAR to top it off.

Holy fuck go ford. Beat Tesla I love this

3 Likes

Let’s see how long the battery lasts doing that.

2 Likes

:joy: prolly a decent duration. Rumor has it the protype has a huge battery bar going across the chassis… could be wrong though but if that’s the case it’s gonna have great range and great towing

If the entire floor isn’t battery, they won’t be able to hit the 150-200KWh that they need to sell something that large.

I’m sure they’ve figured that part out already and if they do a sma one then they should just e-Torq it with a small gen in the rear or heck just a small 2.0 liter engine to take over with dual alternators to charge the battery. There’s a lot they could do you know PHEV would be cool

till a tool dropped in the bed punctures the bed then into the battery

God the charge time would suck at home

That would have to be a really heavy, pointy tool.

making a joke about the ford/chevy alu bed adds

1 Like

Assuming no losses it would take 10.4 - 13.88 hours @ 240v 60 amp, so unless you’re running it completely dead everyday it’s should be full by the time you leave for work the next day… Unless you work really long days.

I’m not sure if I did that math right though.

I wish my bed was aluminum. Probably save an MPG or two :cry:

I know it’s just a joke though :stuck_out_tongue: . If the day ever comes where I decide to carelessly drop a tractor full of cinder blocks into my truck, maybe then I’d be worried about it. For now though, I mostly just use it for camping gear, furniture, etc.

If your just driving around sure not issue, if your using your truck as a truck gonna burn way more battery. 60kwh bolt takes roughly 9.5 hours to fully charge. So if its a 120kwh battery thats 19 hrs to go from zero to full on level 2 charger

Thought this was kinda neat.

2 Likes

My coworker just told me about the E F150 today, I’m legit excited. I think Tesla will beat it in a number of categories, but the Ford will have some advantages:

• body panels for inevitable fender benders. People have had Teslas in shops for many months just waiting on a panel/trim.
  • Aftermarket support. Assuming lots of parts are interchangeable (shocks, springs, bumpers, radio head units etc) then the plethora of off-road parts are available.
  • Ford knows their truck division pays the bills- quick resolution on addressing shortcomings with TSBs and revisions.
  • Fords long truck history and slew of engineers to provide little advantages, be it suspension geometry for comfort + weight capacity, tow packages including trailer assist, drive line strength, viewing angles, NVH isolation etc.

This truck won’t be for everyone’s use case, but for many people I imagine its more than enough.

I’ll be in the market soon so I’m excited to see competition to keep these OEMs on their toes.

can only imagine what they will start at cuz trucks are already expensive AF

Not if you got a NEMA 14-60

I think its a step towards electrification ultimately

Is that much better then Stage 2 (240v), quick google said 250v