L1's Garage

peel is unfortunately a common place thing now with water based clear coat. I miss laquer :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah, same, but it lasts so much longer, so I’ll take that trade.

Right… ! they did it over the VOCs unfortunately

You can still get it… just only with custom shops

Yeah, and it’ll cost you over 5k

A vehicle is an investment for me … Like an f-150 soon…my family keeps vehicles forever… we have a 94 explorer… As an example

I would not see it as an investment but a cost that you need to aim to reduce the frequency of.

Depends. For example a truck which is a very american vehicle. After all the depreciation goes away and all the age devaluing… At some point keeping up with the maintenance making her look good and having the vehicle constantly work for you earns its value back even if its monetary. This is a value lost on almost all modern vehicles.

1 Like

I suppose that’s true. I’d love to get my hands on an early 90s F250 super cab.

But no place to put it.

Yeah haha… I like the new 150s though with the 5.0 and the 10 speed… Wonderful trucks… Can be made to survive forever

1 Like

Oh snap… Pennzoil advanced to the final four that’s what the fuck I’m talking about… Beat down them red line bitches… And go amsoil for the total fucking dominance

I’m curious to see which will win I think amsoil will take the cake but Pennzoil could come close. Defined Italy would take any of the final four any day in an engine!

1 Like

Finally got to work on the Gambler 500 Jimmy, and she’s almost drivable. Got both control arms replaced, and the tie rod.

I just need to finish the brake, put the tire back on, and then go rip her!
Can’t wait to see if she’s still got the LSD in her!

2 Likes

Re: inline 6 return above

inline 6s are a bit of a meh engine to me (i’m yet to own one).

Yes, they’re smooth. But they are long, not really a fan of the sound (other than the Honda CBX1000), generally heavy and require a longer engine bay than a v8.

Yes, they’ve only got 1 cylinder head for simplicity, but a pushrod v8 (e.g., LS) is even more simple (assuming DOHC for the 6), and you get a better engine note, potentially lighter weight (most inline 6s i know are iron block, vs. aluminium for a modern 8), and likely better weight distribution.

Maybe i’m biased because the inline 6 is used in the ford falcon (which was used heavily as a taxi-cab) over here and every time i hear one i’m reminded of a taxi…

If you want something really smooth (e.g., for a luxury car), a v12 likely fits in an engine bay that’s long enough for an i6…

If you’re going to say “but v12s are expensive” … yeah, luxury cars generally are.

I get why they’re making a comeback though. But its purely non-emotional cost saving reasons.

V6 on the other hand… again, hate the engine note, but better weight distribution and packaging potential than an i6.

I’d take a boxer/flat-6 over both of them (porsche, subaru). Probably even a turbo flat 4.

Blasphemy!!!

I’m also really biased being a 2JZ owner, but I would argue the general gear-head consensus is that I6 and therefore V12s are higher ranking in the engine sound pecking order. The natural timing balance makes for a smooth/steady note.

Then there is just personal preference. As much as I love a tuned 2jz sound/good exhaust setup, I also like lumpy V8s and the even lumpier/unique boxer notes.

And despite my 2jz bias, the best street cars I’ve heard (from what I can remember) in order of jaw-drop: Lexus LFA (Sounds like an F1 car, just amazing), the new V8 in a Mustang GT with an exhaust I couldn’t get the brand of, but I suspect Borla, and then a random Supra by work one day. They are beyond good, they were the tops.

Note: I grew up by a busy street and currently live on a somewhat busy street, so I’m an exhaust snob/tired of exhaust sounds in general. Simply welding a fleebay muffler to a blah engine makes me cringe. So many cars on the road now sound so crappy (SoCal Los Angeles area), be it simply broken/cheap muffler replacement, or just trying to be load or cheap modders. Its rare to hear a quality setup these days IMO.

See… smooth/steady note is boring…

What are you talking about? Inline 6 isn’t smooth.

Definitely sounds good tho.

Source:

2 Likes

I’d venture to say this is preference/opinion. The counter opinion is IMO F1 cars are some of the most highly tuned motors in the world- insane red lines, pulse tuning, always on the cutting edge on engine management etc, so to a gear head like me I really like ‘tuned’ sounding engines vs ‘i have a spark plug missing, exhaust leak mid exhaust and my packing is blown out’ sound. If a sound can be verified as reflective of capability or advanced features it affects how I feel- for example anti-lag could be called obnoxious by some but I think it’s sick.

Changing the topic a little, IMO the new Tacomas sound like ass no matter what exhaust setup other than stock.

Inline 6 is an inherently balanced engine.

But yes. My preference for a road car is something lumpy and angry.

F1 is a science experiment and irrelevant

Thought I might add to this “motor breaking” on electric vehicles:

1. Use the motor as a generator
  2. Eddy currents can be used. Requires a bit more complexity in the motor, but for semis dooable.
1 Like

That would be a great way to keep regen braking consistent even with a full battery.

I don’t think it would be very hard at all to implement into an EV since they already have this system in place (using the battery as a load), they’d just need to add a large load resistor to be used when the battery can’t accept a current.