L1's Garage

But that’s such a cool little car.:cry:

1 Like

Except GM this year.

Fuck GM.

2 Likes

Well yeah, fuck GM in particular but still LS tho…

1 Like

Isn’t Ford doing the same thing?

2 Likes

It is. I actually had big plans for it, but alas, I’m tired of having barely any room to haul stuff.

Also, I’m tired of Ford’s “fix” for the shitty air vent motor they put in the Fiesta, the engine fire issues, and Sync. I’m sure every manufacturer has some lousy policies. Maybe I’m just used to having older cars and fixing stuff myself and not having to worry about recalls. That’s part of the reason I’m going with an older truck.

What did they do this time?

They are pulling out of the car market like ford did but also closing plants and laying people off costing people jobs.

3 Likes

Ah that’s shitty.

All car brands are suffering in the car area but domestic brands especially… Japanese brands are the only ones getting okay enough sales with cars to not cancel production.

I’m not sure what the “new” ranger is, but a mate had one a couple of years ago and liked it.

All the hilux guys give him shit about it though.

To be fair, the bottom end on the LS is strong as fuck, and it’s an iron block to boot.

It may have blow-by, but i wouldn’t expect it to just break because of that. If nothing else, there will be less cylinder pressure to bend rods with :smiley:

Not so sure on that. The aussie taxpayer paid GM USA.

At least your taxes weren’t sent offshore to bail out some other country’s multinational megacorp.

I don’t mind so much that they’re pulling out of the auto market, but the US government spent billions to bail them out for making stupid fucking decisions, to save peoples jobs, then a few years later, they just close them down anyways? I want my money back.

I don’t want this to get political, but I think the bailout is entirely relevant to peoples frustration.

That’s because There’s not much farther into “luxury” you can go than 300hp V6, Leather interior, electric power steering, automatic climate control and infotainment that doesn’t start providing diminishing returns.

That said, I’m not a huge fan of the exterior looks department on most Japanese or Korean (Stinger excluded) cars, so German/American will have my money until someone solves that.

Toyota or death!

reeeee!!!

2 Likes

Toyota used to make nice cars until they decided to focus purely on white goods.

edit:
the 86 being an exception. maybe there’s hope yet.

Large electrical appliances? Am I understanding that correctly?

We had a Ford ranger for a while but it got dropped and then replaced by that thing you guys got.

Ah, here that is slang for things like the toyota camry.

Vehicular white goods. i.e., appliances. boring, soulless shit to get from a to b.

Like uh… 99% of the US car market in fact.

3 Likes

The fun continues.

Subi is street legal and on maiden voyage.

2 Likes

I agree. I think I think they’re going more for material quality now, but that’s not as enticing as upgrading from a black and grey screen to an 8" touchscreen with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. Subaru is pushing forward by adding EyeSight to everything, even the base models, while you have to get the upgrades if you want that with other manufacturers. I bet driver assist tech will be standard across the board in about five years.

But after that, what’s next? They still have to have a way to differentiate their base trims from the top, but I would feel ripped off if I bought a brand new car in 2019 with the tech package equivalent to a car from 1999. I mean you do get bluetooth standard in everything now, but you can get a bluetooth FM transmitter that will also do calls and charge two devices for like $30. For me personally, there is no incentive to buy a new or slightly used truck that actually fits my budget because other than aesthetics there is no significant difference. So I’m looking at older trucks instead so I can save a buncha money on my car payment and insurance.

I test drove the '03 Sierra just a couple hours ago and loved it. It has powered leather heated seats with arm rests, dual climate control, auto down driver and passenger windows. Basically every option that was available back then except the moon roof, which I don’t want anyways. Oh and no quadrasteer, but meh.

No deal from the dealership though. Manager was gone so I couldn’t even get an offer with that negative equity. Gonna have to go to EECU tomorrow and see if I can work something out there. I really hope I don’t miss it. If it doesn’t work out I’m just gonna have to wait til tax season and then it won’t be a problem.

1 Like