L1's Garage

Alright on your next car try to get one with a timing chain. They dont snap like timing belts and are much more reliable. Ive got a chain in mine… its 400k and not stretched quite yet. They give you peace of mind especially on an interference engine

Thats good. Also how do you know its the waterpump and not a malfunctioning thermostat :wink: they have really similar symptoms and they are vastly different in replacement costs + labor.

Great cars. Try to get the 08

Solid

Money pit when it ages

This is true. The older S60s were solidly built to for the most part…

I know nothing. Im john snow on that one

Hey fawkes… hows germany this time of year :slight_smile: ? (totally not a garage topic but ehh its a lounge of sorts)

I wouldn’t know, i could drive 40km with my car witch has a yellow number plate.
And ask.

1 Like

Ahh never mind I must be mistaking you for someone else on the forum who actively lives in Germany… Oops

I was tempted to get Volvo V40 when I was looking for new car. It was 2016 model, had 1,6L diesel with auto, and Ocean race colour with dark leather interior. :drooling_face: And price was right.

The problem was the diesel engine which has additional tax here, so only if you drive a lot, like 40-50k a year, then it might be financially reasonable. I drive roughly 20k a year so nope for me. :slight_smile:

AFAIK annual service costs for Alfas are quite high. And tbh have heard some bad things about Alfa Romeos.

1 Like

I always found the stereo type of subaru owners always being douchebags highly reliable

1 Like

I have yet to meet a Subaru driver who was actually a douchebag.

3 Likes

I worked as a gas station attendant in a very busy area for a couple years (Oregon), and oooh boy was it sooo true

I’m sure there’s differences in different regions of the country, but in this part of the midwest I see them as an everyman’s type of car. It’s hilly around here and it snows plenty in the winter and the things get around great when the roads are nasty. I love my big SUVs when its really bad, but they get ~14mpg instead of mid 20s for the subaru. They also have a higher center of gravity and don’t handle as well on the twisty roads. I tend to think of the subarus as the farmer’s camry.

1 Like

highly

So are tacomas… new tacomas arent as great as the old ones used to be. Just like tesla overhype every vehicle has their quirk and crowd

I think you are confused with VW BMW and Audi.
anyone < 30 yrs driving one of those is almost guaranteed douchebag.

• Seat Ibiza

Special shout out to the VW Golf

1 Like

I think its a little harsh to over generalize about people because of what vehichles they drive. I’ve met good people and insufferable twits driving just about anything that can be driven. Some people drive something because it was practical and affordable at the time they got it. Some people have a brand they like with wierd quirks that they learn to live with or even love. Some people have too many vehichles and drive what they want depending on their mood. Not everyone is driving something to make a fashion statement.

1 Like

The dutch love cheese and eat potatoes every day.
It’s a generalization it has a partial truth.
It’s not the definitive truth.

We are after all on The internet.

1 Like

I’m not saying all BMW and lifted Chevy drivers are douchebags. I’m just saying all the douchebags I see drive either BMW’s or lifted Chevy’s.

Ya wont be talkin smack when my 25,000 lumen 12,000K headlights burn your retinas out!
Actually you wont be able to see anything
/s

1 Like

@MisteryAngel favorite cheese and potato stat :rofl:

Finally someone did a 4:3:1 exhaust header … all the people who told me it was a stupid idea… I feel vindicated

Yup same here when it comes to diesel cars.
Road tax is double per month vs a petrol car.
LPG is kinda inbetween.
Also good choice to not go for the 1.6D, cause those engines are terrible. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nothing wrong with waterpump and thermostat.
However if you need to replace the timing belt, you have to replace the waterpump to.