L1's Garage

I recently actually spoke to someone who owns a prius.
And he told me that his total range was like 750km fuel and electric combined.
Not sure about the newer prius or other hybrids for that matter.
But that still isn’t really appealing to me tbh.

bi-fuell in that regards is still more efficient i think.
And yeah now days petrol cars also a bit more efficient as well.
So yeah idk…
Diesel is of course still the most efficient in terms of fuell consumption.
But bi-fuell like petrol + LPG is also pretty interesting.
To bad that not many countries have adopted lpg.

Maybe if you really baby it and keep it under 45mph, but I’d say its 100 miles city (no HVAC), and 80 miles freeway (75-85mph+.) Using HVAC can drastically changed my range though. Like 80 City 60 freeway.

Those should be very realistic numbers for this particular car.

Edit: my car’s only a $7k car though.

2 Likes

You spend at least 3 hours and 45 minutes a day on the road? I completely understand if they’re out of your price range (they are for me), but I imagine that is plenty of range.

Math: How long it would take to go 300 miles @ 80mph = 3:45.

Sorry if I’m being annoying, but I’m just trying to clear misunderstandings.

Yeah, that’s a thing. :man_shrugging:

What’s the entry point for an EV with 300 miles of range though? can’t be cheap. :confused:

The spark is a cool car, but I’d love to see a bigger battery.

My dad got a Hybrid (not a plug in, a true one). For city traffic, the regenerative breaking is a true mile saver.

Overall it is more efficent than the diesel he had before, which is remarkable for a petrol engine (plus electric).

1 Like

Finally got around doing some work on my gasoline car

2 Likes

There is work to be done on the petrol engine but mating it with electric might be here to stay. If an engine stays in its efficient operating range like I spoke of before it also lasts longer…

As for the petrol engine I think we should consider adapting aircraft technology to it. You see that this chamber is located at the cylinder head and is connected to the engine cylinder by small holes. It occupies 40% of the total cylinder volume. During the compression stroke, air from the main cylinder enters the precombustion chamber. At this moment, fuel is injected into the precombustion chamber and combustion begins. Pressure increases and the fuel droplets are forced through the small holes into the main cylinder, resulting in a very good mix of the fuel and air. The bulk of the combustion actually takes place in the main cylinder. This type of combustion chamber has multi-fuel capability because the temperature of the prechamber vaporizes the fuel before the main combustion event occurs. This can allow a small stoich mixture of gasoline to be burned at normal stoich to light off an extremely lean mixture say 22 or 24:1 to do the rest of the work for you under high compression without detonation… It would be rather efficient. This effect though is better seen on diesels… its also cleaner. It doesnt require a high pressure fuel pump either or any of the downsides of direct injection.

This would have lower fuel efficiency if you think about it at first if we left it at normal compression ratios. However especially in diesels but also petrol engines we could increase the fuel efficiency via increasing the compression significant. Due to the nature of this kind of combustion you would not need emissions equipment. This would increase the efficiency again and also reduce the pollutants that come out. It produces little to no particulate matter without a DPF and gasoline burns cooler in this condition creating less NOx

BUT SUURE government bolt ons are cool am i rite? image

I guess this is exactlly what Mazda has done with their new Skyactive X engines?

The skyactive is different. It is a direct injection engine using homogenous charge compression ignition. It sprays all the fuel in at once at TDC and ignites it via high compression and high boost… It can only run under a specific set of conditions

$44k for the Model 3 long range. I was just making a point. Even if I had the money I seriously doubt I’d get one, not until their prices drop a lot in the used market.

Tesla making the 300+ miles range EVs was to say they have more range then some gas cars. Basically to make customers feel more confident buying them, because range anxiety REEE.

It’s called a Chevy Bolt :wink:

1 Like

And you’re suddenly out of my price range.

Dude, for some reason, teslas hold their value hardcore. Like, they really don’t depreciate.

1 Like

I used to think Hybrids where dumb, but that’s because I drive almost exclusively highway and freeway, so the MPG was no better than a Civic (iirc the Civic actually got better MPG highway whenever I last looked). So hybrid did nothing for me, so I mistakenly thought they were garbage.
City MPG has always been fantastic though.

My favorite Hybrid is the early Honda Insight (2000-04 iirc). Those get 61city and 67 highway, and the best part… You can get them with a manual transmission! The only hybrid with manuel that I know of.
I really want to play around with one.

1 Like

Lol, it’s not a Tesla so give it a while and they’ll drop in the used market.

Welcome to the church of Tesla. Our savior Elon has spoken, and he said let Tesla’s prices stay high, and it’s our duty I mean honor to make thy’s wishes be made true.

You should be honored to pay those prices.

Seriously though it’s stupid how well they hold their value. Their not even that great of a car.

Meanwhile I’m driving a Chevy that came out in 2015 for $30k that I picked up a couple years and 28k miles later for $9k (even that price was high though).

1 Like

Exactly!

Like, don’t get me wrong, they’re cool, but I’d rather have a Benz.

1 Like

I’ve always like the original Nissan Leaf Nismo RC, looks like two leafs backed into each other

4 Likes

Probably doesn’t apply to anyone here, but I thought this was good.

5 Likes

Yeah, that was a struggle for me for a bit. :joy:

I managed to hold out tho.

1 Like

Good man.
I’m probably going to fail. I got stuff to route all my ABS sensor wires to one ABS sensor with the flick of a switch, so I can disable the traction control completely.

No idea if this is going to work. Lol

2 Likes

on what car?

the spark?

Yeah… I’m tired of having tread on my tires. /s Lol

If it works, I might be able to send a false signal to the car to make it think it’s doing 35mph, which will allow me to have 100% from a dig (the spark doesn’t allow full power until 35mph).

1 Like