L1News: 2017-02-21 Superbugs In Space | Level One Techs

Where I work we use SAP software. SAP is a absolute pain to deal with.
Everything is based in India (support wise). Have a slight licensing issue? Good luck getting any sort of support.

It's a real shame because SAP's software is extremely powerful. It's actually pretty nice to administrated.

I quite enjoy the cynical sarcastic view on things. I don't feel like I am being told what to think. Even if that was the intent, it wouldn't have much chance of sinking in.

Good show, I hadn't heard about super bugs in space, and efforts to make even super-er bugs. I guess this is only the Andromeda Strain if they pack them into those Russian/Hawkins micro satellites and launch them all out into space? We do need to kill those squid things on Europa before we get there. Luckily the rocket didn't explode and spread it over the earth. Instead its probably at the space station by now, and they are zombies/reavers by now. So...

That SAP thing is ridiculous. It is like the makers of a TV show trying to charge all of the viewers who watch it on TV a licensing fee. Hopefully this greedy practice leads to zero market share and a quick death. Any OSS implementations?

There are open source ERP systems, not nearly as powerful as sap/oracle though.

I am asserting that it is politically naive to assume that the media is not politically motivated and, therefore, that it is essential that every citizen must be able to identify it when they encounter it in the wild. While my words may not have been optimally chosen (I was never a journalism major, nor do I play one on TV), I stand behind my argument. I would also like to assure the reader that I in no way intended to insult, belittle, fold, spindle, or mutilate anyone who may read this. While there may be some who may choose to be offended, offense was never contemplated, much less intended on my part. Indeed, if one feels the need to be offended, surely we should find the shenanigans of the news media, by an order of magnitude, to be far more offensive.

It would seem that we are struggling with a conflict of visions (BTW - this is the title of a great book by Thomas Sowell):
I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts.
- Abraham Lincoln

The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses.
- Vladimir Lenin

The citizenry needs t be aware of these divergent viewpoints and decide for themselves what the proper role of the press should be.

EDIT:
"Mainstream" reporter states today that it is her job (and that of the media) to control exactly what people think.

While her candor is refreshing, I submit that this is NOT the reason why the press enjoy special privileges in our society. No one is suggesting that these reporters can not have and share their opinion, but that should be relegated to the editorial pages, commentary programs and blogs. Their opinions, misrepresentations (either of omission, or commission) and fabrications should not be dressed up and presented to the public as factual news.

Glad I was able able to help bring some clarity on the SAP Ruling Topic. It was fun for me to look at and read over. I will say this about the ruling, it is clearly written. In United States the court rulings aren't always so clearly worded nor as concise. The ruling does have big implications as to what could happen to other SAP customers. I'm glad you guys are covering the topic in this weeks news.

4 Likes

I agree dinguskahn. I just came to the forum to express this view and it looks like I'm not alone.

I don't know if L1 are Trump supporters or Hillary supporters, and I don't want to know. I don't care. I watch L1News to hear some intellectual conversion about technology, but somehow Ryan manages to shoehorn in several Trump references, a small rant about "SJWs", fake news, etc. was there a climate change denial hit in there? PewDiePie, border control, halal food... I thought this was a technology channel.

2 Likes

Vegan here,
I am very annoyed that you polluted my L1Techs with Pewdiepie and more click bait outrage non news.

The most shareable emotion is outrage, followed by humor or happiness.

So the most high value click bait is in that order. Or mix outrage and humor for extra points.

If you want page visits don't do real depressing news, depression and sadness are not sharing emotions. And thus we have the era of algorithmic pushed stories based upon views, likes and interaction.

Look at the subs on this great nerd channel for an instance vs's any channel with click bait or top 10 lists on youtube.

So if Pewdiepie didn't traffic in outrage or bad taste humor etc he wouldn't be so famous. If he was a hard science or news site his subs would not scratch that. But in a landscape of the modern internet with the way the algorithms work, click bait titles and outrage will be the social norm.

And a pay day is creating outrage about a person who is already famous this ripples though all my internet use even though I have never watched a full episode of him or care too. But this is the landscape we live in, BOLD HEADLINE, and possibly a question?

e.g. IS PEWDIEPIE A RACIST? Instant click bait and ruining my Pewdiepie free existence.

IS LEVEL ONE TECHS ANTI VEGAN?

We have an epidemic of people using this instinct to get the fractions of a penny per click in ad revenue. It is the shit storm of the internet that people like me try to avoid.

So why oh why did you put Pewdiepie.... lol all good, it made sense in context.

So I definitely think we need to get back some semblance of academic journalism as the show mentions.

Still love the show.

Good show. I am tired so I don't know if I already commented in this thread but thanks L1News for more great entertainment.

1 Like

Each of those stories involved technology. PewDiePie is a fellow YouTuber, the man stopped by Border Patrol is a JPL engineer who was coerced into supplying the PIN for a smartphone that contained NASA-related info, and the "halal pork" was grown using stem cells.

As far as your implication that our lovable Grizzle Bear is a climate change denying Trumpian goes, I think it's fair to assume from his comments and general attitude that he didn't have much love for either candidate or their respective parties.

That said there is literally a sticky entitled "Welcome New Users!" which clearly states that religious and political discussions are outside the scope of this forum. Reading comprehension is a thing.

1 Like

Bit of an understatement from me, but there is a worrisome tone going on with some of the topics in this episode.

1 Like

In what universe is Noam right-wing? Noam is an Anarcho-Syndicalist, one of the first and most courageous intellectuals of the civil rights movement, and one of the foremost heroes of the Axiological New Left (other than being the most cited scientist and philosopher of science alive)! The most iconic work of his on media, co-authored with the economist Edward Herman, is Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of Mass Media. In the eleven plus years that I've known him, and having seen, heard and read all of his interviews, lectures, and books, I've never known him to have anything but contempt for right wing nonsense. Noam is as left as left gets, and that's what makes him such a hero to people worldwide. There's an entire rain forest named after him in the Amazon, and a species of bee, and three nebulas.

Also, dinguskahn's comments about watching the show for "Science..." is moot, because science and technology has never been apolitical! Those who think otherwise are living in a fool's paradise.

But I agree. Ryan is spot-on about media outlets. News that is run by for-profit corporations is seldom news. On the other hand, non-profit, viewer funded news, for instance "Democracy Now!", usually involves seminal journalists like Amy Goodman, Juan Gonzales and Denis Moynihan!

2 Likes

I was sarcastically referencing the propaganda model as dinguskahn implied that the concept of the mass media being beholden to corporate and political interests was a right-wing conspiracy.

I figured the sarcasm was apparent but text is an imprecise medium.

1 Like

Wow so much drama.. This episode has a chance of going.. viral!

1 Like

Let's get one thing straight, because I think you are grossly misrepresenting my original point. Everyone has some implicit bias, that includes journalists. I think that's obvious. I'm not saying no reporters ever let their personal politics interfere with their job. In fact, personal bias is not even what is being discussed here at all. We are talking about major news outlets being "in the pockets" of certain people in power. Read that sentence again.

What you're talking about is news organizations that may have some organizational bias (perhaps even unintentional or undesired bias) which in some subtle way influences hiring practices at some particular company. This is understandable. We are human after all. There is bias everywhere. I'm not saying this is good.

This is so much different than implying that these companies somehow are being controlled and manipulated by some powerful people. There is no evidence to suggest this. It's simply not true.

It's important to remember that journalists are just people. Working in companies that are just a bunch of people. Yes there may be some bias. Most of them are located in major cities. There is inherit bias in that alone. For example in most major cities are made up statistically of more Democrats. Is it a giant conspiracy that cities have more democrats ? Wait.. Are the major cities in the pockets of powerful people!?! No. No they are not.

I fail to see what point you are trying to make here, and how any of these relate to Ryan's very apt observations about the nature of for-profit media? This is, at best, semi-strawman arguments about universality of certain institutionalised follies!

"Drama" is the blanket cover-term used to suppress and/or ignore any discussion of matters that go beneath the surface, or does not concern consumerism and/or pop-culture entertainment stuff, from what I can gather of its usage.

I am not sure that either what Ryan said, or the subsequent clarifications provided by people who understood the point, should be called such. The purpose of people coming together is to engage in meaningful exchange of ideas, not mere chit-chat over irrelevant trinkets.

Perhaps placing quotes around "right wing" (thus) could have helped! I was a little surprised because I thought everything else you said made perfect sense!

1 Like

It might be, or it could be a term to indicate that people are being overly dramatic.

That doesn't change the pragmatics of the word, only its morphology. Not helping your case.

Duly noted. I perused your profile by the way and find your work imminently fascinating. I often wonder if the slow progression of strong AI is due to a lack of influence from linguistics and neurobiology. It seems obvious that a huge portion of human consciousness is the result of not only our central nervous system but of our use of language and symbols. I feel like binary logic can only take you so far if your goal is to generate human-like consciousness. If your system can only respond with yes or no, a problem that requires a maybe might throw it for a loop, pun intended.