╫ L1 Laptop Reclaim Project ╫

If by some marvelous chance the TPG chat has anyone who wants to join and help with I would shit my pants

Who wants to play with garbage?

Everyone nowadays seems to need a computer for… something. On some level, somewhere in the world, a computer could be used to do a lot of different things. I’m not only talking in foreign countries, but even in your country, reader. I live in america and I can’t tell you how many people have been happy to just get a Yonah based laptop that they can get some bank stuff done and do their email and taxes.

So… I’ve been thinking. As parts for things seem to get harder to get, gpu’s being an example, what if we made an effort to enhance older platforms to be useable in modern times? This could be in any sense really, but I’m thinking about hardware that is everywhere and costs absolutely nothing to both acquire but also enhance.

Take for example my Recent Laptop Thread that actually started this one. You can get PM based laptops for nothing, they’re specterless/meltless, and with a little creativity you could add an SBC and end up with a pretty nice secure system. I wouldn’t go with a B130 though unless you want a fun challenge, go with something that at least has SATA. X3

In any case, it can be had for nothing, overclocked with literally trash, and then with some software and some magic and maybe another wire or two you have a 32 bit chugger. From there, IMO, you should just add what you want, and such can be done very easily, and I have many ideas as to how to do so.

What this project is NOT

This is not going to show you how to play 2021’s newest titles on your grandma’s athlon X2 machine, sorry. This is not a gaming rig thread, though certainly a user could make one, or a guide on how to make a machine to hack the government or some dumb shit.

This thread is here to document hardware that gives the user more freedom than modern, brand new, soldered, and locked down hardware. A user should be able to come in here, choose a platform that interests them, be able to research a machine they want, and then build it.

I will also be building machines and selling them in a thread as I go along. If someone wants one of my projects I’ll drop it for total of the parts I have plus shipping, but otherwise a finished product is the goal, overall. Even just instructions on how to make something nice.

Ok, so where do we start?

Right now, I am working with a Dell Inspiron B130. Its a very capable machine, however it has one downside. Its IDE based. So I inherently have speed issues with the hard drive. However, I have a gigabit ethernet jack and an intel PRO NIC. So if I got an SBC that had msata or m.2, I could just make some rsync scripts to handle hard drive stuff, etc etc.

Basically, I am trying to find what would be a limit to a machine, and finding ways to completely ignore that there is a limitation. This could be anything from basic mods, to 3D printing entire new bottom cases and just adding whatever feature I want. I DO want to do that, however that’ll be when I am playing with SBC’s. I don’t exactly have money to do that rn, so I’ll just play with what I have access to.

ATM I am looking into a few different chipsets, playing with pinmodding, trying out some processors, and playing with ram. I will soon however be digging into the complete logistics of laptop ram, and low voltage and ultra low voltage pentium M’s. I want to find the fastest ram that a 915GL can handle (the chipset in my B130), lowest latency, best timings etc, and try to get something good out of just a pentium M before adding like a GPU dock to the system or going up to SBC’s and intranet stuff.

There is, however, quite a bit of work to be done.

I have noticed in my short time with my B130 that the battery system does not report correctly. Prior to pinmodding, full charge was 94%. Either adding the pinmod has now caved in my battery, which I doubt, or the slight voltage difference has thrown everything out of whack, and it just doesn’t know what the hell its reading, which is what I’m pretty sure is happening. The computer in the battery however reports correctly, and if I check the SMART data, it’ll report correctly.

This seems to be rampant throughout the system, and its a very normal Centrino series 2 machine, normal Dothan core, normal i915. Nothing special, same i2c sensors as literally every other one of these laptops.

There is a toolkit for windows called Notebook Hardware Control.

This thing allows you to control literally everything about a centrino laptop. You can edit the bloody power phases in speedstep, any of the 64 steps. You can live edit voltages, get temp of the die and PLA individually of the CPU, like, its a really cool tool.

Why isn’t this shit in linux?

So I want to port this thing to linux and make it so if you have a centrino system, you can just open a terminal, type NXCentrino or something, and boom you’re overclocking and doing whatever the fuck.

The eventual big brain play here is to have openfirmware on my machine and make an easy installer for coreboot and then ignore NHC altogether, but thats super far ahead and an end game play at best.

The Plan Right Now

I want to nail down what platforms would be best to “Reclaim”. Theres features that a user could find desirable. Here are the features I am interested in making documents about for other users.

• Overclocking / Overvolting / Underclocking / Undervolting

• Firmware flashing

• Moddable Hardware (changing screens, backlit keyboards, diff speakers, etc)

• Change mobile parts out for desktop parts (Turion for Athlon, etc)

• GPU Docks via expresscard

• Other Nonsensical Expansion

Below are notes and links to blogs and other posts I have found interesting, and the posts following are about their reserved subjects. Any new data will be edited in and the edit will be dated.

The point of this thread, and project in general, is to inspire the community to start thinking differently about technology, and possibly push for a different type of recycling. Should the end user find something they like about this sort of thing, maybe they can start a business or just make some money selling a few systems here and there.

Your bat, my ball.

http://www.notebookreview.com/news/pin-modding-and-overclocking-a-pentium-m-guide/

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/inspiron-b130/drivers

By popular demand, terms / acronyms you should know when entering this project

PM - Pentium M, PMB for banias, PMD for dothan
C1 - First series of Core, the Yonah line
C2 - Second series, Core 2, the Meron line
G3 - powerpc G3 750 processors
G4 - powerpc G4 74/5/XX processors
NHC - Notebook Hardware Control
NXC - My redo of NHC for linux, or at least when I mention it, this is how it’ll be labeled
PLA (cpu ram context) - referring to the board the die / memory is mounted to, probably wrong, idc
ITP - in this post
ULV - Ultra Low Voltage
LV - Low Voltage
SBC - Single Board Computer

If there are any terms or acronyms that need to be explained, notify me, I’ll put it in this table here

Users Involved on L1:

@Aremis

2 Likes

ITP is information on CPU’s per platform of interest. I will list out the chipset, machine, and CPU tested, and then goals I think that could be met with each configuration. As I test more things I’ll post quirks, or just findings.

i915GL Centrino

Dothan, probably a good start. Sata is more desireable than IDE, unless you want some fun garbage like I do.

(Not a good img I know)

Dell Inspiron B130

Tested: Pentium M 725 (Installed as of writing), 740, and 760.
Want to test: Pentium M 778 ULV.

If you can overclock a ULV processor from 1.3 to 2.0, you’ll have really good performance, and built in powersavings from just using less wattage… I think. Want to investigate.

i855PM Centrino

Banias, but still worth something. PCI, not PCIe, and AGP for GPU’s, but available, and can be overclocked. Laptop has to have a good power system though, such things need to be investigated.

HP NW8000

Tested: Pentium M 740, 725
Want to test: Low power 400FSB CPU with a pinmod. See what you get.

Well then

6/20/21

Only now do I have something interesting to post here.

I have found a local source for 800MHz SKHynix and 667MHz SKHynix ram. Hynix is my fave company to get ram from for a couple reasons, so I’m going to ge ta few different kits and see if I can find an individual dimm tester.

Ideas for creation:

Bottom pans with features: slot like sd card slot for hard drives / msata drives

New batteries with USB C port built INTO the battery

USB C add in port with daughterboard / based off rpi zero / rampi / rpiw / micro sbc’s in general

Expresscard DAC with balanced and quarter inch inputs, as well as a low power plug for 22ohm and lighter sets, such as iem’s like the KBEar Lark’s

Expresscard USB C add in, because like what the fuck how is that not a thing

Addendum to above: USB C breakout card for GPU docks, instead of that BEAST thing

External sensor monitor that connects over phone port (because yeet, probs not a possibility but yeet anyways)

Reserved Coreboot Info

Looking at mobo’s…

B130 board

Toshiba R200
Comes with a 753, which is my interest in it. 50 bucks tho, ech. Why?

Reserved Overclocking Details

Thresher / Hammerhead

Can anything be done with these literally at all?

Banias

HP NW8000 - i855PM

Compatible processors tested

PM 725
PM 740

Going to test

Pinmod for LV/ULV processors
Low power Dothan processors (ULV, 778 maybe)
Pinmod for 1.7ghz banias chip I need to clean up

Dothan

Dell Inspiron B130 - i915GL

Compatible Processors Tested

PM 725

PM 740

PM 760

Pinmod Compatible With

PM 725:

Overclocks to 2.13GHz, may need a volt pin to add .128v, need to look up volt/pin guides, dig up on wayback.

PM 740/60:

Does not overclock clockspeed, only FSB. Might look into external volt mod for base clock later.

Going to test

Specific interest in ULV PM778 for overclocking to 3GHz+

Yonah

Interest in white macbooks and “adding” an expresscard functionality.
Interest in bottom pan mods

Merom

Asus G50VT-X5 (shouts to @Arkadiusz_Krzeminski )

Compatible Processors Tested

Every Core solo / duo and Core 2 up to the low power quad desktop chips found in imacs
Motherboard used in most asus gaming and workstation laptops of the time, highly moddable
Possible 8GB ram mods, need to see bios flags, if it has FPT and similar memory expansion toolsets

Nehalem and on

What can be expected for PCIe speeds IE expresscard docks?

ITP are items that would just be good to have. New mobos, or just wifi cards. If I find anything neat I’ll toss it in here.

Express card GPU Dock

Wireless N and USB 3.0 express card (laptop pcie slot)

Reserved SBC Testing / Review

Interest:
Latte panda
pi 4 4GB
RockPRO64

Itp is hesting msata drives, m. 2, and anything else that can be made compatible per system. I will post benchmarks of drives too, I just don’t have a bench set up rn is all.

mSata Drives

These need to be translated to an ATA/PATA/ZIDE/SIDE/mIDE bus

Crucial / Toshiba SSD - 128GB

The sticker was all goofed up when I got this drive so I peeled it off. The flash and the controller are the important parts anyways. This is the first mSata drive I will be testing in the b130 ever, and ever in an enclosure setup on a 133 bus. So this is rly exciting for me.

m.2 Drives

Needs research

NVMe Drives

These Likely need a bridge chip / titan ridge enclosure of some sort. Needs research.

mSata Enclosures

6/18/21

First controller in, I saw these and they were pretty much what I am looking for. Bonus tho, it came with a plastic cover when I didn’t think it would.

Someone mentioned about “oh no but china”. I would rate this board as safe. The sata controller on it can’t actually store anything, and theres no hidden traces otherwise.

JM20330 controller chip

No hidden traces.

Tho I thought this was weird. Theres a light perferation on the board on both sides. It isn’t thru hole either.

Just kinda weird.
Then I noticed something.

This cap is just BARELY bulging. Its never going to need to push enough power to an MSATA disk that its going to pop, so its safe to use. I’ve seen this before, and adrian black has talked about this. Basically this was probably a board used by a company for CNC machines or something, likely WAS an SSD of some sort, but has since been cannibalized in design. At that, I think this whole thing, even the board itself, is made out of recycled components. If this thing isn’t shit I’m buying more of these.

Link to work post below with tests —> X

m.2 Enclosures

NVMe Enclosures, Bridges, and Controllers

ITP is alternative mods or parts for things that you’d probably want in a modern machine.

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=3702

Screen for Dell B130 with Ambient Light Sensor

Items to buy for this project:

This is mostly for my tracking, but these are things that I’m going to get in order to work on this shit more.

Soldering tools
Temp probe(s) and lead read
desktop/benchtop psu

Nifty; this sounds like the sort of project you see recounted in talks at hacker conferences, complete with war stories of why the OEM did __ and __, and how it was successfully reverse engineered.

Suggestions

Since this is in the #hardware, not the #blog section, I think there is a bit more of an expectation to explain your acronyms for passers-by the first time you use them.
PM - Pentium M
NHC - Notebook Hardware Control
PLA (in context of CPU/RAM) - ?
ITP - ?
ULV - Ultra Low Voltage?
SBC - Single Board Computer?

Also, while I am a bit biased because of the time I put into researching my RAM ranks post it may help to link back to the memory thread you mention.

Questions

What are you using as the storage device, if these are IDE/PATA?

I too have an old laptop, and was about to buy a Compact Flash card to go with the passive PATA-CF adapter I have, when the main candidates, 128 & 256 GB Kingston CF cards began going up in price, and then semi-recently were entirely discontinued.

Anything else that fits PATA or CF seems to be at least 3× reasonable SSD pricing.

Actually I was just thinking about this. I was going to put a table in the first post, I just don’t know how tables work on here XDDD

Nothing in it

I am still setting up posts, but for right now I am running a 40GB 7200RPM drive in the dell, but sitting here on my desk I have an msata disk. I have an MSATA controller in the mail, and I intend to test a lot of different controllers that are available online and bench each of them to see if they can match bus speed or not. Its super important that it does so you actually hit 133m/t. If you don’t you’ll have a pretty slow time moving data around on the pentium side.

Since there was a SBC involved though, and since you have things such as gigabit ethernet available, I was going to rig up some rsync stuff between machines and have user data stored on an SBC and other data either be handled strictly by the PM system, or by the SBC. How I will do this yet I don’t know but I’ll figure it out.

Going straight for pata compatible stuff is kinda… eh. I mean you don’t have so much lag because bus speeds will just match, but its still pata. That sorta hardware is kinda made on demand for industrial stuff, and the end user home computer stuff is like, do it when you can, but unimportant. So the prices go up literally just because they have to wait longer to get their SSD’s compared to like boeing, whoever they would be (transcend, OWC, ITL, etc)

Its a lot easier to go low power sata solutions and end up just saving battery power / having more power to dump into the cpu / ram / gpu.

By the way I’m scarfing down your ranks post today and going to start some of that research.

This is my wifes MSI U160 Netbook PC with a Intel Atom 1 core 2 thread up to 1.6Ghz with 1GB DDR2 ram…

Would you have any use for this? Has wifi, windows 7 code, battery works, wifi etc… it’s very old but it all still works. I removed the 2.5" sata drive for destruction, I left the screws for it under the ram cover so its all sealed. Has its charger as well.

Would this work for your project? If not there is a picture of the ram chip :slight_smile:

Woah, thats a weird little ram board.

Holy shit its a pentium 4 in a netbook

Oh dear god. Does it have battery life? I guess they woulda fixed that by 2010…

IDK actually. Maybe? Let me get back to you on that one. Might be too new. goal is literally what you can go to the dump and still buy a battery for that for some reason turns on. Literally being able to take anything and make it perform.

2010 is where stuff starts getting locked down, and netbooks are a bit tough anyways, at least for me.

1 Like

Well battery works… at least for boot etc…I was never able to log in. So I was just “sanitizing it.”

I thought of making a NAS with it, but might be a little underpowered for a 8 drive zfs setup.

1 Like

IDK put some CPU benches on it and give it an msata drive and see what happens. Might surprise you.

Think less about what it can’t do and think more about what can be done to completely ignore what is slow in the system. Theres always something that lets you cheat, you just have to think outside of the box with it.

1 Like

The other problem is making something work to get at least 6 sata attachments… Sure I could hotwire a pico or PSU, but the data lanes might be tough…

How many USB ports does it have
slash
does it have a firewire port, for some reason

1 Like