L1 KVM random drops from PC

Hi, I am having random dropouts from my PC on the L1 DP1.4 2x1 KVM that I have bought almost 2 years ago. My current default configuration is:

RTX3090–> 15m DP FIBBR Flash144 → KVM -->3m DP FIBBR Flash144 -->LG48GQ900

Things that I have tried:

1. taking the KVM out of the equation with just the 15m = no dropouts
  2. replacing the 15m cable between the PC and the KVM with another FIBBR 3m cable = random dropouts
  3. replacing the 3m cable between KVM and the monitor with another FIBBR 3m cable = random dropouts

Edit: When it drops, I either had to turn off and on my display or move the KVM to PC2 then back to PC1 to reactivate it.

Hoping someone with the same experience could help with this. TIA!

Look through the LG osd for sleep or eco mode options you can disable.

Has it been that monitor for the last two years or anything else change about your setup?

Thanks for the reply.

The monitor is relatively new but it was working previously. Nothing has changed except that I took everything apart to reposition my desk setup.

I have also disabled the deep sleep mode previously.

See if you can relocate the ends of the fibbr cables away from other cables. They aren’t shielded. The optical part of the cable itself won’t pick up interference but there is a copper part that also delivers power. So moving the cables around they may be picking up more rf interference, especially around the ends than they were

Thanks @wendell, I think you might have caught it.

repositioned the KVM and it seems to survive random drops for a couple of hours. Hope I dont speak too soon and this persists! Will continue to monitor.

FYI - I believe the source of the interference could be a Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 Dock as I was stacking this above the KVM.

Aluminum foil could be useful here :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

When the tinfoil hat comes in handy… :face_holding_back_tears: