L1 Forums as an "App"

Hello world and happy 2024,

It has been awhile. But I’ve been gone because I don’t like opening specific pages in a browser as it gets lost or it takes forever to open the browser.

On MS Edge, yes I’m sorry I have to mention that company again, I have this quite fond feature called PWA. Which got discontinued a while ago in Firefox, the main browser I use. I later then used the Gnome/Epiphany browser on my old installation of Linux.

To my question. How can I have certain websites just as apps like PWA. I thought about even maybe making some rust flatpak or something to view a website, but everything uses this nodejs thing.
I can’t figure out how to use the Linux Mint webapp manager either.

I’m on Arch+XFCE.

Alvast bedankt

This might help guide you to where you want to go.

you want the pin to start menu or pin to task bar, edge will open a dedicated window for the page. Though you might want to do it from the forum home page

I’m using Firefox, and only have Edge as backup if there is some arbitrary reason a website doesn’t work properly on Firefox.

First sentence the third words of the link. Is that a typo?

But in anycase I checked the page out earlier but it looks like it is just an about page for PWA and not a “how to”

because firefox killed it
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/uwojh7/why_did_firefox_kill_pwa_support/

Yes I know, that’s what I said in the top post.
That’s why I’m looking for options like making an app or something.

Right, in that post someone also linked to

I may have misinterpreted your question. Are you asking how to develop your own pwa or are you looking to bring pwa support in Firefox? If it’s the former, you could use electron

If its the later, try the extension on github.

What feature of the pwa is useful? If it’s the sandboxing (isolating browsing) you can use container tabs. If it’s the separate windows you also achieve the same effect installing a Firefox or chrome fork that is exclusively for browsing the forum.

I tried this, can’t get it installed on Arch.

Both. I want a way to have the forums as an app on my Linux client. And it’s not the containerization, I mean my browser has 902 tabs and it easily sinks there. I don’t want to use Chromium and to that extent Nodejs. Also the Epiphany browser has it’s own problems with videos and pasting images and overall lag that I also reported about last year.