L1 DP 1.4 KVM with FIBBR 16K Fiber Optic DisplayPort 2.1 Cable

So I don’t rehash the issue with my Samsung Neo G8, L1Techs 4 PC 2 Monitor DP 1.4 KVM, and my Aorus 3080 Ti Master, the link to the issue I had is below:

I saw on Amazon AU that FIBBR are advertising DP 2.1 cables that are rated for 40Gbps. Note that only the 3m and above are fiber optic.

https://www.amazon.com.au/FIBBR-Certified-DisplayPort-Support-FreeSync/dp/B0C3CT6D6W/

At AU $100 a throw curiosity got the better of me and I purchased two of them.

For some reason my Aorus 3080Ti Master cannot drive my Neo G8 above 4K 60Hz 8bit non HDR with the grey head FIBBR 144 cables regardless of length. I tried 1m, 2m, and 3m variants.

https://www.amazon.com.au/FIBBR-DisplayPort-32-4Gbps-Freesync-Graphics/dp/B09LCKYHWZ

Well these DP 2.1 cables actually seem to be able to do it. I was shocked.

At 240Hz with DSC I did get a couple of blank screens every 10 to 15 minutes or so which I could fix by either power cycling the Neo G8 or switching KVM inputs. Dropping it down to 120Hz which I think doesn’t use DSC it seems to have been stable now for at least half an hour.

@wendell @Level1_Amber Is there any chance you can test these cables to see what the differences are between the older grey FIBBR 144Hz cables and these newer FIBBR DP 1.2 cables?

I’m curious to see what that $15K cable tester shows.

Here is what the packaging and cable looks like out of the box

I will run the new cables for a while and report back what I find.

1 Like

I have had about 1-2 reports of marginal “gray style” fibbr cables surprisingly. One set I convinced a customer to mail me and they were worse than the copper cables we sell on the l1 store. But “usually” they are fine.

I also paid $100 for someone in germany to send me their club3d cables. They were FAKES! (/senator vreenak goes here). Fake club3d.

Also sometimes things are just crappy. Glad its working for you now, but no one ever believes me when I tell people they rolled a 1 with their cables.

1 Like

Complete success was short lived. I get the occasional screen drop out on the Neo G8 and it seems to happen at 4K 10bit HDR with Full Range RGB (Not Limited) set in the nVidia control panel.

I had washed out colours which I finally figured out was Windows was sending a limited range signal instead of full range.

It is happening sometimes once every half hour or sometimes a few times in a 5 to 10 minute period. But it has increased in frequency since I overrode Windows from limited range to full range.

It is also happening at 60, 120, and 240Hz refresh rates.

Still these cables are better than the other FIBBR grey 144Hz ones. Neither they or my Club 3D cables could even get 4K 10bit Full Range HDR to even work above 60Hz.

I guess I have a choice, use these new FIBBR cables and accept occasionally the monitor will drop out occasionally. Or use the FIBBR HDMI cable I’ve been using and accept I have to change monitor input when I want to use the PC with the Aorus 3080 Ti.

Nothing in tech is meant to be easy when you are living on the bleeding edge.

@wendell how much worse were they grey FIBBR ones? I returned all my 1m ones as they were bad. I also had a 2m one fail too. Thank goodness for Amazon easy returns.

How do you tell if you have fake Club 3D cables? I’ve got a few where I’m only running 4K 60Hz 8bit no HDR through the KVM and they seem to work fine. Curious to know the tells that I have a fake cable other than it doesn’t work as expected?

I’ve been though so many cables. I couldn’t have rolled a one on all of them surely. Well maybe I have and these two new FIBBR ones are 2s.

Is your monitor’s firmware up to date? Might help solve your issues if not.

I might be wrong, but I think the cable tester unfortunately can’t be tested with fiber optic cabling since the connection only flows in 1 direction.

Yep running the latest M-B8532GGZA-1006.0 firmware. My Neo G8 came with 1003.0 and I flashed it with 1006.0

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

No firmware stuff or so. It’s a source plug in pc and display plug to the lcd. But you have some order to plug in re-connect as many time no picture do show up, just get try all combinaison and you will have a somehow good flow. i have lot of hdmi and dp optic and mostly they work ok, some get hit by static easily and club3d are the worst.

I have a FIBBR HDMI 2.1 cable directly between the AORUS 3080Ti and my Neo G8 thus bypassing the KVM. A work around essentially. When I want to use the PC with the AORUS 3080Ti, I choose that input on the KVM to light up my secondary monitor and keyboard and mouse, but then change the monitor input from DP to HDMI on the Neo G8 so that lights up

So after testing the two FIBBR DP 2.1 cables with the L1Techs DP 1.4 KVM over the last week, I’ve realised it is not quite stable.

In 4K 10bit HDR at 60/120/140Hz I always initially get a picture and it seems okay, however anywhere between a few minutes to 1 hour it will eventually drop and the monitor will go into standby. Changing the refresh rate in windows to something different, or switching KVM inputs and switching back will cause it to light up again, but for only up to max 1 hour.

The Neo G8 has seen an updated firmware; 1009 has been listed on most Samsung sites. The previous 1006 I tried came from the Korean Samsung site as the Australian site listed no firmware until 1009. My monitor shipped with 1003. I installed and tested this firmware tonight and have found no change in behaviour.

One thing I have noticed is that if I put my GPU under load; Furmark, 3DMark, a taxing 3D game of some sort, it doesn’t seem to drop. I’m not sure if this is related or coincidental, just something I observed.

For now I’m going to keep using the direct HDMI cable between the 3080Ti and the Neo G8.

These cables do allow the AORUS 3080 Ti to light up above 60Hz 4K 10bit HDR, which all other cables I’ve tried including the FIBBR 144Hz grey ones could not do. So for anyone who has a marginal connection with those, the FIBBR DP 2.1 cables might be enough to make it stable for them.

Saw this topic and just wanted to share that i have similar issues (video dropping) using the 3m FIBBR DP 2.1 cable. No KVM used (yet). Monitor is the OLED G9 (tbh while it is a really nice monitor the issues with it are quite annoying). My other cable (some normal DP 1.4 one) works altough not for 240Hz.

If the FIBBR cable DP1.4 or 2.1 doesn’t work from your video card straight to your monitor, then there is a high chance the cable is faulty. In my case the video dropping out only occurs when there are two cables and the KVM is in the chain. Try getting the cable replaced. If you got it through Amazon it should be fairly easy and pain free.

From what I figure, the fancy Samsung monitors like the Neo or OLED G series are finnicky as Wendell has mentioned in the past about having to help Samsung fix their firmware. On top of that I have a video card that is also temperamental with another user on the forum with the same model card also having the same issue.

Yeah i know it is definately the cable(or the monitor with how wonky Samsung is) just wanted to have it on the record that these cables are seemingly not reliable.