Kwayland-server vs kwin - what is going on?

What why does it want to switch from kwayland-server to kwin to begin with? If I switch, wouldn’t that be a critical change of the system behaviour?

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=277327

Upstream is playing with their Matryoshka Dolls, so arch are updating their package names to suit. Just ordinary life in rolling distro world.

4 Likes

To add on to @cowphrase 's answer, quite a few issues showing up for the upgrade from 5.24 to 5.25 in the update thread: [Stable Update] 2022-09-12 - Kernels, LibreOffice, KDE Gear, KDE Frameworks, Firefox, Thunderbird, Pipewire, Mesa - Stable Updates - Manjaro Linux Forum It’s a good resource to check for issues before updating.

2 Likes

I answered yes for the switch to kwin. But I didn’t know Manjaro used any kwayland things.

If I don’t there might be problems with kwin tiling I’m thinking. There was also a shift with steam from steam-manjaro to /multilib/steam… Let’s see if I have to reinstall the computer after I have rebooted it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: haha

Then the full 1.6GB download of new stuff started to get downloaded. It’s going to be nice to sit with a more functional KDE Plasma. ^^

Needed two re-boots, but it works now, there seems to be some kwin-tiling problems though. So I have to check for a newer version probably.