KVM won't switch from PC2 to PC1

I have a Level1Tech KVM that has worked well for around year or so. Recently it started failing to switch over from PC2 to PC1. If unplugged and then plugged back in, it will display PC1. If I switch from PC1 to PC2, that works. But switching from PC2 to PC1 never works anymore. Have swapped out cables–no difference.

button on the front for switching? does it beep? green light indicating usb is okay?

you can always email me for an rma wendell at level1techs.com to mail it in if you just want me to look at it and/or fix it.

when you unplug the kvm, unplug all the cables and usb for a solid minute because it akes a while to clear the internal efuse

Button beeps, yes. USB light is green–although for PC 2 the USB light is half green/half red. I’ll try the long reset.

When you hit the button does it beep and go back from PC2 to pc1 though? If not …that’s super weird.

What USB devices? So etines badly behaving USB devices can cause the kvm to delay switching to an even packet boundary but only malformed USB stuff would break switching. So if it works fine with no USB peripherals attached that could also be useful diagnostically

Long reset no change.

Button and keyboard hotkeys beep and work in switching inputs, I just get no monitor signal on PC1. I can switch between them but only PC2 shows on the monitor. Only get monitor signal on PC1 after reset. As soon as I switch off it I can’t get it back.

that sounds like a gpu driver issue… try ddu to reset/clear your gpu drivers… or possibly cable aging. Like the cable is borderline, barely works, then after switching the gpu just gives up.

what gpu? and OSs are we dealing with?

Updated the GPU drivers but no luck. Swapped DP cables out, no change.

GPU is RTX 3080, OS is windows 11.

Tried other dp outputs on your 3080? Id also try a 3 foot club3d dp cable rather than moving existing cables around.

Yep, tried other outputs and swapped out club3d cables. Just swapped inputs between PC1 and PC2 and now PC2 (former PC1) isn’t working. So it’s probably not the swapping function on the kvm.

USB light is still half red–though I was wrong earlier. It’s half red on the PC that isn’t working correctly.

So it’s probably not the swapping function on the kvm.

DDU might work to clear the driver for a fresh install. It’s counterintuitive to test the cables tho – think of the cables on BOTH sides of the kvm as if it is one long cable. That’s how your GPU sees it so that gsync/freesync/whatever is left undisturbed.

Looks like it’s a cable issue. I’m using an LG C2 as a monitor to run 4k @ 120hz, but it only has HDMI inputs. Because the KVM only has DP, i have to use a converter. The only loss is VRR, which I don’t really care about. I guess the converter isn’t working properly after a year. I dropped both computers down to 60hz and the switching works fine.

1 Like