KVM with dual PCs AND dual setups

I’m looking for a solution where I can connect both my desktop and my laptop, both can connect to the ‘main setup’ with 4 displays, keyboard and mouse.

Then my desktop should also be able to switch between the ‘main setup’ and a ‘VR setup’ where all the ‘main setup’ monitors, audio, USB devices, etc. get disconnected, and instead the HMD, vr controllers, headphones, and trackers get connected instead.

Possibly a third setup that has the main monitor, and keyboard together with the ‘VR setup’ also connected for debugging.

I am ok with DIY soldering and stuff if it’s required. I do run Linux with Hyprland on both laptop and desktop, so there might be some software solution to this I’m missing. Would love to have it in hardware tough so it’s portable between systems that might not be mine.

Thanks beforehand!

So you need 2 of these:

one connecting up to 4 computers to one set of monitor outputs.

the other connecting your 3 workstations to the other box.

Here is the page listing all of the products he sells.

I’m sorry, this is not what I asked about. Maybe I explained it weirdly, or you answered in the wrong thread?

I only have two devices; one desktop, and one laptop. Both should connect to my main setup, that has 4 monitors, keyboard, mouse, audio I/O, etc.

Then separately I have a second setup, where I have a bunch of VR gear, so HMD, VR controllers, trackers, audio I/O, etc. My desktop should be able to completely switch over to this setup, disconnecting the main setup in the mean time.

I think you are asking for a device to “switch off” the monitors / keyboards etc you are not using because you are in a different room with your other peripherals.

A diagram might be helpful or at least a full list of what you are plugging in where.

There should be no issue with having both a hmd and a display connected at the same time so not sure what you mean by switching here.

1 Like

How many monitor outputs does your laptop have?

For this, you need a KVM, assuming your laptop can handle 4 displays, else this gets a little difficult (Thunderbolt GPU enclosure?)

Any reason for not having all devices connected at all times? A big USB-Hub (or two) is going to be less hassle than switching a lot of USB-devices.

The hassle is going to be the USB devices.

An HDMI matrix switch can handle everything else.

“Matrix” is the important part.

If you can leave 3 monitors connected to your desktop, then you are only doing a 2x2 matrix, then you can get:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=44438

If you need to switch everything every which way, then you have 2 sources with at least 5 inputs, and at least 5 outputs. an 8x8 switch would work. Since you are going pricy, you may as well get one that can save at least 3 profiles, like:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24180

So one profile is laptop use
one profile is desktop use
one profile is desktop vr use.